Is it possible to add a hub motor to my mid-drive e-bike?

Hi,

Is it possible to add a hub motor to my mid-drive e-bike? I would like to get a bit of a boost for the big hills of my area.
Have anyone done something similar?

Is it possible to add a hub motor to my mid-drive e-bike? I would like to get a bit of a boost for the big hills of my area.
Have anyone done something similar?

It can be done, and it has been done.

If you do that, a front hub motor would be the best way. Mainly because forceful pedaling or mid drive power can crack a rear motor sidecover where the freewheel or cassette attaches. But also because then you're using both wheels for forward traction.

If you do that, a front hub motor would be the best way. Mainly because forceful pedaling or mid drive power can crack a rear motor sidecover where the freewheel or cassette attaches. But also because then you're using both wheels for forward traction.
Thanks, I am concerned about the extra weight, the bike is 62 pounds already.
Adding a new system could be an extra 15 pounds between the hub and the extra battery.

If you mean weight on the rear wheel for a rear hubmotor, it's not really the weight that would be the problem (though this sometimes is too, for poorly built OEM hubmotor wheels), but the extra force from the middrive on a rear motor cover via the cassette or freewheel, especially when shifted to the smallest rear gear. It can cause the center of the cover to break away from the rest of the cover and leave you unable to ride at all, as the motor would now be unable to spin without gouging magnets on the stator laminations, and thus the wheel unable to spin. (if it's a geared hub instead of DD it could probably still spin but now it's not the cover bearing on that side is not carrying the load, but rather parts like gears that are not intended to).

Do you think adding a front hub does not make sense?
Using a more powerful mid drive comes with negative effects on your bike's chain drive. It increases wear, maintenance, and the chances of breakage.

Adding a front hub motor (geared, with a one-way clutch) gives you extra power without putting extra stresses on your chain drive or rear wheel. It allows you to use all the rubber on the ground for propulsion. And it can give you redundancy to get you down the road if you have a problem with one system or the other.

You could probably get the job done just fine with a single powerful hub motor, and that wouldn't trash your chain drive, but it also wouldn't have the same qualities as your bike nor the advantages of mid drive through the gears.

I find this very interesting as i have a Bang fang Mid drive 250W and i want add the hub 750w. And i said to the shop can you remove the mid drive. They said you should keep it and use both. So can you you explain why it is best to keep both motors?

I find this very interesting as i have a Bang fang Mid drive 250W and i want add the hub 750w. And i said to the shop can you remove the mid drive. They said you should keep it and use both. So can you you explain why it is best to keep both motors?

The reasons to use both are because both kinds have advantages and abilities, you can benefit from the strengths of each, the work and heat are distributed across more mass of motor, and of course because you can get better performance. The reasons not to use both are because that's extra weight, complication, and power consumption, or because your battery won't support both motors.

I find this very interesting as i have a Bang fang Mid drive 250W and i want add the hub 750w. And i said to the shop can you remove the mid drive.
Is it a Bafang? (I couldn't find anything about Bang Fang middrives).

Which one is it? Some are integral to the frame and can't be removed without removing your pedals too, and making the frame less structurally solid. Your other posts are about the TSDZ2 (which isn't from Bafang), so I guess this is a different bike?

Once you add the hub motor you will barely use the mid drive. I have a bafang 750w mid drive and a 3000w rear hub from nbpower. The rear hub is so responsive that I barely use the bafang anymore. I use the bafang for a backup system and to run my headlights. Once you get the hub motor installed you will wonder why you even messed with mid drive.

I already internal gear hub (Enviolo) in the back, but I wanted to add a front hub to help with the hills.

One proper motor for your situation should take care of everything. I think the whole two motor concept is more of a fascination thing than actually being practical. It just adds more complexity to the Bike and more possible ways to have failures. But if that’s the route you wanna take, go for it 👍

What type of bike are you working with? If possible, you could just get a different mid drive that has more torque. Also, maybe you could lower the gearing for better climbing. Just a thought 💭

Back