is it possible to damage a hall sensor while heating heat shrink?

ClintBX

1 kW
Hi ESPMs,

I think I damaged one of my hall sensors after changing connectors.

I wanted to change my connectors over to 15 amp PPs so they it would be easier to work with, test or replace in the future.

Everything seemed to go without a hitch and I even tested the new Halls 3 times to make sure all was well.

I had put on some heat shrink around the wires prior to doing the connectors but hadn't gotten around to heating them yet.

I decided to quickly do that right before going to bed (bad idea) using my house mate's lighter. Then I decided to test it out one more time, and that's when it happened. A light click and 1cm of wheel movement.

So, I proceeded to check the connections (the red did come loose and I replaced, despite that, it didn't fix the problem), measure each hall with my multi meter and found out that the blue hall sensor (on the motor side) was dead.

I agonized and changed the connectors twice on it, checked it's continuity and even removed the heat shrink to see if there were any shorts or damage done by the heat but I couldn't see anything wrong.

Is it possible to damage a hall sensor during heat shrink?

This is baffling me because short of opening my hub motor, I can't figure it out.

Please help

Clinton

Yep. Lighter flame is dangerous for a small hall sensor. Shrink with hot air gun, ideally.

MadRhino said:
Yep. Lighter flame is dangerous for a small hall sensor. Shrink with hot air gun, ideally.

Is it ruined right down to the hub? It still has continuity but does the heat ruin circuits in the motor or something?

What do I do?

I doubt the hub winding got damaged. The hall sensor doesn’t switch anymore, IMO.

MadRhino said:
I doubt the hub winding got damaged. The hall sensor doesn’t switch anymore, IMO.

So, what do I do? Do I need to just replace the sensor wire? And if so, would I need to do it right the hub end or maybe just a part of it?

Have I done adequate tests? All I know to do is check the voltage of each hall (black jack on black hall and the red jack on the receiving end of each hall connectors. 4.xv for each except the blue hall) and a continuity test to see if there's a break in the wire somewhere.

Is that all I can do to diagnose this issue?

The actual hall sensor itself is typically rated for 150C. Most shrink tubing will shrink before you would damage the sensor.

But from the description, you were heating the wire connection, not the sensor itself. This should not cause a problem unless you heated it so much the insulation melted and caused the wires to short. If the output if the hall shorts to the 5v line, it could make it blow.

Back