Is LifeBatt the agent for the new 15ah Headway cells?

oatnet

1 MW
I am ready tu buy more cells to take my VW bus conversion up to 144v, plus I wanted to build some 15ah packs for ebikes, so I emailed Victoria about the 15ah cells we had discussed earlier this year, like the one she sent to doctorbass for testing. Here is what she had to say:

And for 15Ah cells, they are put into massive production now, the continuous discharging rates is 10C, and max. peak is 15C, which is as same as our 38120S 10Ah cells. but for this 15Ah cells, now we can sell to our customers directly, because LiFeBatt got the agent for 15Ah.

I think she meant to say "now we can NOT sell to our customers directly" because it makes sense that way, plus she kept referring to the 38120s cells for my order when I had asked for the 15ah. I am really disappointed that I can't deal directly with Victoria, she has been really good to work with, and I would never deal with LifeBatt USA. :cry:

I wonder if this means that LifeBatt's 'new' cells are actually Headways?

-JD

Let's collectively demand that another U.S. agent be used. If she notices her business in the U.S. significantly declines, she'll take notice.

However, I don't know what kind of impact ES would have on LifeBatt since they claim to be OEM-focused now, so Victoria's US business might actually increase with that alliance and she might have little motivation to seek another agent.

Geez,
Just when I really like a cell that would suit my needs, something always comes up. Wonder if EEStor caps will be available in "48V" packs? So many options, so little money. :cry:

Victoria always responds to email very quickly, I just heard back from her:

The 15Ah outlook design is from LiFeBatt, and they have an agreement with us for the 15Ah cells because they can give us an order of 10000pcs. per time. Sorry for that. If you want the 15Ah, then you need to buy from them.

That's too bad, 10ah does not have enough watt-hours for the ebike packs I was going to build, and 2p 20ah pack will take more space than I wanted to use, and I was using savings on the ebike packs to leverage buying cells for my Bus. Back to the drawing board!

However, if LifeBatt is buying 10,000 cells, the deal makes a lot of sense for Headway. If 'he-who-shall-not-be-named" is involved, I hope she got payment up front. :lol: The good news is that we can get "LifeBatt Quality" in the 10ah cells since she reports they are the same spec.

-JD

There goes the sub $.50/wh for the 15ah cell. What do you think the LifeBatt markup will be? :roll:

snowranger said:
There goes the sub $.50/wh for the 15ah cell. What do you think the LifeBatt markup will be? :roll:

that sorta reminded me of the old joke told just after the invasion of Iraq by the coalition forces. during his morning briefing it was reported to Bush that the firefights the previous day had cost the coalition 9 Brazillians. Pres. Bush commented that was very bad. then leaned over to an adviser and whispered "How many zeros in a bazillion?"

bad joke i know. but the zeros part sort of fits.

rick

snowranger said:

Well, since Victoria said it is the same specs as the 10ah cells, I would infer it is the same chemistry, so they would be hard pressed to get more for special packaging. Of course, "one" could claim it has an unspecified amount of Phostech powder in at so that it is mysteriously different - yet the same specs.

-JD

I don't know what I'd believe....I don't know if I'd trust that lifebatt has different chemistry, I'll wait for independant testing.

I do know they've been building Lifebatt cells for a while now.... Here's the Kingston University bike....Their cells look a LOT like the 38120S cells, different labeling. If you go to the kingston university website, you can see video of the cells up close, IDENTICAL.

ttxgp-kingston-university-naked.jpg

So I am confused,
is new 15Ah LifeBatt cell in reality Headway cell ?
After all that bragging how LifeBatt is testing new cell and preparing for the market,
now we find out it is Headway cell ?
Weired
MC

its manufactured by headway.... I think they're making changes in quality/performance.... Sounds like its taking some from lifebatt's tech and mixing with headway .... to make the new batteries.

frodus said:
its manufactured by headway.... I think they're making changes in quality/performance.... Sounds like its taking some from lifebatt's tech and mixing with headway .... to make the new batteries.
Are we sure lifebatt had ANY of their own tech to begin with?

officially?

no.

/begin sarcasm
I hear they have this phostec powder that makes the cells FUCKIN AWESOME..... kinda like getting 5 hp by adding racing stripes to a Civic
/end sarcasm

Hm,
no more Taiwan factory,
not made in Taiwan like original LifeBatt cells.
so made in China 15Ah LifeBatt cell.
I would expect this cell to cost less than 10Ah LifeBatt cell for above reason.
So you are not going to see red cells in the pictures of "Taiwan factory tour".
How about BMI red cell?
MC

Labelling these red cells with LifeBatt logo would lead you to believe that they are also made in Taiwan.
And this is a bit misleading.
No way Headway can match Taiwan factory equipment and quality control
MC

MC, that is a pretty bold statement. i suspect the dramatic drop in internal resistance with this new series of blue screw tops is an indication they have actually taken big steps to address the lifepo4 granule quality control as well as more effective electrolyte dehydration and separators.

the jelly roll equipment is pretty much the same everywhere, and i assume they have learned to keep things dry inside the cabinets where everything is manufactured. these new 15Ah jelly roll machines are likely new levels of equipment that can be supplied and set up by the equipment manufacturers as rapidly as they can be produced.

i doubt if lifebatt would have gone there if they thought it was a compromise.

but red is always faster than blue, so they do have an advantage even without the stripe.

Ithink as title of this thread says LifeBatt simply will sell Headway cells.
New red LifeBatt was shown on LifeBatt web site for months as red wrapping cell with stud terminals no screws terminals.
MC

If I were Lifebatt, I'd be looking for a different manufacturer too! many people had issues with the way the cells were built. The headway design is a very good design (looking at one of them now).... and I think Lifebatt wanted in on that. I'd chose a cell looking like Headway over a cell looking like the old lifebatt ANY DAY!

Even the Lifebatt XPS cells were 38120 cells(kingston university TTXGP motorcycle had them). They were rewrapped headway-built cells.

At the moment, NO ONE KNOWS if the cells are actually a different type of process/chemistry.

Just found this in another forum ... (I have no words either)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Re: ThunderSky & Sky Energy update (EV Components)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorraine
Hi,this is Lorraine from Xinghai Energy-Headway lithium battery .
Frist,thanks for all of you to pay close attention to our Headway products.But I must say sorry to all of you that 15Ah is Exclusive Sale....

Lorraine
MSN: lorain1@live.cn
www.xhnykj.com

So they will not be available to the general public? May I ask why not?

jorhyne
View Public Profile
Send a private message to jorhyne
Find all posts by jorhyne

#19 07-26-2009, 09:23 PM
lorraine

Re: ThunderSky & Sky Energy update (EV Components)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorhyne
So they will not be available to the general public? May I ask why not?

it's about trade secret.....so with your understanding,I have no words,just keep slience.Thanks

Back