• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Is MAC motor gears stripped, or bad hall? (video)

el_walto

10 kW
Today i went for a light ride, nothing hard on the motor at all. Parked my bike for 5 minutes. Got back on my bike and instantly the motor vibrates the entire bike. Rode 10km uphill like this, as i needed to get home. Doesn't seem any worse(or better) after the 10km.

Are the gears stripped, or might this be a bad hall sensor of FET?

i would guess stripped gears, but they were fine when i stopped at the store. hmm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zpfcJjOhWo&feature=youtu.be

Sounds like gears. I just replaced a set. Then one of the new gears slipped off its collar/bearing! So now I am back to driving....

Changing gears/ clutch is easy. Its having to undo all the wires zipties etc. That really makes it a crappy job.

It doesn't appear to be the typical really harsh judder and little movement of a disconnected or fried hall sensor.

You might try turning the motor backwards by hand. that will be more sensitive than just spinning under power.

A hall has no feeling like a shorted fet or phase wire.

Gears would have a roygh feeling from time to time not consistant as a short would be.

Did you hit a big pothole or jump off a big curb under power? That helps to stripped gears, with little warning.

Dan

el_walto said:
Today i went for a light ride, nothing hard on the motor at all. Parked my bike for 5 minutes. Got back on my bike and instantly the motor vibrates the entire bike. Rode 10km uphill like this, as i needed to get home. Doesn't seem any worse(or better) after the 10km.

Are the gears stripped, or might this be a bad hall sensor of FET?

i would guess stripped gears, but they were fine when i stopped at the store. hmm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zpfcJjOhWo&feature=youtu.be

dogman said:
It doesn't appear to be the typical really harsh judder and little movement of a disconnected or fried hall sensor.

Hmm, I would say it does.

Check your hall sensors. Try simply reconnecting the hall sensor plug first.

hmm that is either the gears or the one way bearing inside the clutch, if it were a hall sensor it would likely need to be turned before it would spin, have it apart it will soon become obvious, the one way bearings go in those motors easily if you push them, my bearing is going on mine, it starts with a rattle normally.

Good luck in sorting it out.

Managed to put another 12km on it today with it grinding the entire way, yeah it feels really rough when spinning the wheel backwards. Will see if I can get it apart tomorrow as it is the weekend, maybe can swap parts from my other mac motor.

Rough spinning backwards, or more like you are pulling hard on magnets? If it still makes noise spinning backwards, it's not just shorted phases.

It's damn hard to look at a vid, and tell much. I never meant to say no way it could be the halls or the wiring, just that it was not a case that looked obviously like it must be that. No cut or mangled wires or anything right?

Don't have to take the wheel off the bike to test the hall sensors.

I find it hard to believe it would have gone that far with a broken inner clutch. Could he just have a mangled hub cover bearing?

dogman said:
Rough spinning backwards, or more like you are pulling hard on magnets? If it still makes noise spinning backwards, it's not just shorted phases.

It's damn hard to look at a vid, and tell much. I never meant to say no way it could be the halls or the wiring, just that it was not a case that looked obviously like it must be that. No cut or mangled wires or anything right?

Don't have to take the wheel off the bike to test the hall sensors.

I find it hard to believe it would have gone that far with a broken inner clutch. Could he just have a mangled hub cover bearing?

OK, so the gears are stripped, seems to be some metal floating around in my hub. Too bad since I've only just started commuting on this hub. Continuing thread here: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=54422&p=810377#p810377

Back