Is there a 13S or 14S balancer and charger for Li-Ion?

nukezero

10 kW
Is there a charger and balancer that can support 13S or 14S simultaneously? Or do you have to buy one of those dual channel iChargers that can do 1-8S per channel and just split it up?

Is it possible to charge a 48V 13S pack using a dual iCharger and splitting it among two channels? I guess the charger will see 8S on channel 1 and 5S on channel 2 and just charge/balance separately like that? channel 1 at 33.6V and channel 2 at 21V (for a total of 54.6V nominal max voltage).

You can do two 7s packs that you charge in parallel (including balance taps with a parallel harness), and then connect in series to run the bike. This will let you balance charge with only one charger. You would need to break the battery apart to balance it with ichargers anyway.

You will find a BMS more useful if you don't need to fast charge the bike. If you need fast charging / balancing, a powerful RC or bulk charger is the ticket.

flat tire said:
You can do two 7s packs that you charge in parallel (including balance taps with a parallel harness), and then connect in series to run the bike. This will let you balance charge with only one charger. You would need to break the battery apart to balance it with ichargers anyway.

You will find a BMS more useful if you don't need to fast charge the bike. If you need fast charging / balancing, a powerful RC or bulk charger is the ticket.

What if the battery pack is already all connected and all wired-up into a 13S/4P configuration along with BMS. I assume then that you *cannot* connect the iCharger 2 channel from series cell 1 thru 7 and then cells 7 thru 13 and charge it that way?

But I thought that charging like that above is safe since we can take a simple 4.2V single cell wall charger and individually charge up each cell to rebalance the pack? (albeit it will be slow and tedious)

So is there a charger/balancer on the market that can do all 13S balance charging at once??

You will only find BMS units / specialized and very expensive chargers that balance charge that many cells. What is your goal here anyway? It sounds like you already have an icharger. In this case, the best thing to do will be to have two separate 7S battery packs.

You cannot connect the icharger channels to the same battery because they're not isolated. If you break your battery apart, you won't even need two channels since you can just charge in parallel.

Charging an individual cell with a wall charger is not a problem...you're only tapped into that one cell.

Thank you!

I have a 10S4P pack that is 3 years old with Samsung 26F cells. It only charges up to 40V, instead of 42V. Last time I balance charged it with a wallcharger and got it up to 41.8V. Now 6 months later, the problem is back. I was thinking about investing in specialized iCharger that can do all this work for me without having to use a wall charger and manually charge 1 cell at a time in a 10S4P.

Now, my 13S4P pack also is getting unbalanced and I want to fix that and I don't want to go thru the hassle of manual wall-charging per cell again and again. It's tedious.

I don't think a 14s charger is made any more. I've got a Hyperion EOS1420i I bought about 6 years ago that does 14s, and Thunder Power made the TP1430C 14s charger for a while, but I'm pretty sure both were discontinued. Just found this one.
https://www.maxamps.com/graupner-polaron-pro-touch-screen-charger-14s-500w-20a

The easy way to balance those packs without getting an "exotic" charger would be to wire on balance connectors that can be accepted by whatever balance charger you have and then just go connector by connector until you've charged the whole battery in groups. Get a good charger that's programmable so you can set your termination voltage. I don't like going to 4.2 per cell cuz it usually reduces life.

http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdId=THP1430C

Back