Jackshaft construction instruction PLEASE

KAZUALT

10 W
OK after fighting it for a year, I am finally giving in to more knowledgable folks and will be using a jackshft in my build. I am in need of a how to on jackshaft construction and installation. I understand the concept, just not the execution. here's my questions.
Is there a kit made for bikes?
If not can the go-kart ones be used?
Is there mounting plates available?
What size shaft should I be using?
Any ther info you can give me would be welcomed.

thanks to all who put up with my questions. I should have listened in the beginning, better later than never.
KAZUALT

Staton-Inc uses a 5/8" shaft and they carry a wide variety of 5/8" accessories,...and Mud, Thud, Bubba, Matt, and others here seem to have had good results with 1/2" shafts.

I eventually want to build at least one left-side-drive with a jackshaft, and my experiments with a friction drive have used parts that could also be used for that, so I also built around a 1/2 shaft. I have found a source for aluminum square tube locally, but I have also bought some stuff from metalsonline.com (more expensive).

I am pleased with the carrier bearings from VXB, and I like the shafts I bought from McMaster-Carr.

Thud says he's happy with #25 chain and sprockets on the primary side (the high-RPM side between motor and jackshaft). Matt and others have used 5mm-HTD belts with success. I have gotten 5mm-HTD pulleys from SDP-SI (haven't tried them out yet).

What motor do you want to use, and what is its shaft diameter? How much of a total reduction do you want from the motor shaft RPMs to the wheel RPMs? What is the diameter of the drive wheel, and what top-speed do you want?

What bike frame do you intend to use, and where will the final drive attach to the bike (left side, right-side, bottom-Bracket?).

I've heard that someone will be making RC motor-mounting plates soon (which include motor mount holes and also slack adjusting slots), to make boxed drives easier for the DIY to assemble.

KAZUALT said:
OK after fighting it for a year, I am finally giving in to more knowledgable folks and will be using a jackshft in my build. I am in need of a how to on jackshaft construction and installation. I understand the concept, just not the execution. here's my questions.
Is there a kit made for bikes?
If not can the go-kart ones be used?
Is there mounting plates available?
What size shaft should I be using?
Any ther info you can give me would be welcomed.

thanks to all who put up with my questions. I should have listened in the beginning, better later than never.
KAZUALT

Is there a kit made for bikes? Matt P (recumpence) makes one.
If not can the go-kart ones be used? Don't know but I would expect it would be overkill for a bicycle.
Is there mounting plates available? Don't know of any.
What size shaft should I be using? 1/2 inch

Bubba

welcome to the jack shafters K.
As far as I am concerernd Gwhy's goosneck jack-shaft mount is just about perfect.
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=22245
the bearings are common 1/2" x 1.125" & easily available here:
http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/PROD/1-2inch/Kit7578
for the shaft itself, I recomend a simple .5" drill rod from your local tool supply house.
they are $5 at mcmaster carr:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/116/3643/=9pz52e

I don't know if you are settled on bicycle chain for the final drive (i normaly lean toward #35 drive for final drive).
I perfer to freewheel on the rear wheel also, But I am a goof ball & only run single speed for pedal input...I suposse I have 3 speeds with the front chainrings but pedals are ornimental on my builds so far.

you can lock the shaft on the bearings with simple spacers between the sprockets/pullys that will be the drive system.

look this stuff over & ask any questions that pop up. Hope it helped. T

Back