Kelly KLS-N vs KLS-S

Braddudya

100 W
I am looking to upgrade a controller for a 3-5kW pitbike project. Kelly has a good reputation and seem quite usable as well as affordable. I am leaning toward the sinusoidal controllers as they promise to run smoother and are similarly priced.

I'm looking at the KLS-N 72V 80A continuous $129
KVD12N18N22N.jpg

And the KLS-S 72V 80A continuous $199
KAC-S_18.jpg

I've looked over the spec sheets but I want to be certain I am not missing anything. Is the main difference just the size? Size isn't that big of a deal to me as I am currently using a gigantic no-name controller. It seems like the KLS-N is not only lower cost but also more robust considering the 200A bust is rated for 50% longer than the KLS-S.

Thoughts?

edit: Also is the can bus option worth it? I have never utilized one for a project before.

Regarding CANBUS's usefulness, you'd have to find out from Kelly (try Fany there) what specifically that specific controller's CAN implementation supports. All CANBUS is is a protocol; what you can do with it is device-dependent.

If you don't have anything with CANBUS on the system, and don't intend to add anything like that, so that you wont have a computer (MCU based system, etc) that can send or receive CANBUS commands or data, there's not much point in having it on there, unless it has specific uses for testing, troubleshooting, etc., that arent' available in the standard communication methods / programs / etc to the controller.

Regarding the differences, the main thing I see in a glance at the pages
https://kellycontroller.com/shop/kls-s/
https://kellycontroller.com/shop/kls-mn/
other than that the N has bolt-on connections directly to the casing allowing you to use any wiring you wish up to any of the high current connections, and it also supports a bolt-on fuse, while the S has wires coming out of it that you're "stuck with" unless you open it up and replace them should you need different wires for any reason (and has no fuse), is that the N has a separate clear statement that it does NOT support sensorless operation. The S does not have this statement, but that doesn't mean it does support it.

Another main thing is the N is IP-waterproof rated, and the S is not. It has an option to have them fill it with silica gel to help with that, but it's not designed with waterproofing in mind like the N is.

There are probably other differences, but those stand out.

Back