"QS138 V3 70H 3kw" or "X" motor for Hardtail 20" S&M BMX Build

lord_frosty

1 µW
Hi all, I am new, brand new to endlesssphere, & this is my first post.

I am looking at different drive motors, to attach the drive motor to an S&M BMX frame, & use a rear hub with a double drive, meaning the hub has a right hand side flywheel, & a left hand side flywheel, both driving the bike forwards. The hub is a Profile Racing Drive-Bi hub, & i am going to get the Drive-Bi hub laced to one of my 48h rims, using 10, 11, or 12 gauge spokes. The question I have is about the dimensions of the QS138 V3 motor dimensions, as the printout on the golden motor website is all but legible, & upon emailing the manufacturer, they had said the dimensions were listed online.

I am basically going to build a set of plates, & bolt the motor to the plates, & strap the plates to the frame between two of the tubes, such as the seat tube, & top tube, or the top, & down tube, putting the controller, & battery into their own cases, & securing them to the top tube, using a similar idea of bracing the cases to one of the other tubes, so I don't have to drill the frame, although I might drill the frame depending on the motor dimensions, as I was playing around with how large I think it might be, the cranks will clear the motor between the tubes if i use the smallest size of 125mm long, as the spindles don't get big enough for the longer crank arms to pass by what I think the diagram says, but I am not sure exactly, & after seeing some images of the builds with the QS138 V3 3kw motor, the dimensions i have are wrong, they show that the motor is shorter than the actual depth, where the drum is for the magnets, & upon visually seeing the QS138 V3 motor, this is not the case.

So I am starting this thread as I get ready to make a purchase. I am not spending a ton of money right away, I am basically getting a kit with a motor, controller, & throttle, then a battery, & I am looking at 72v 20ah, to not break the bank, as I can always get another battery, which is larger, or make my own. Any input on this would be amazing, or if there is a QS138 V3 owner who can post the length, depth, & height of the QS138 V3 motor, possibly with images depicting which dimension is which!

I am thinking of using the QS138 V3 due to the 19:45 gearbox, & that i can easily attain an 18 tooth flywheel for my drive-bi wheel, & use a 9 tooth keyway sprocket on the drive shaft. I have read that too much power can shred a flywheel, which is fine, I am hopeful that a 72v 20ah battery is pulling a peak around 5kw-6kw, so I can get up to speed in traffic, with cars moving around 40mph - 50mph, on city streets.

As far as drilling the frame, I am hopeful to get some braze on rack mounts, cutting a hole for each, so I can use front racks, & rear racks, & waterproof panniers, or hard shell adventure motorcycle cases, to do errands with, & to get to, & from work, as the local public transit takes upwards of 2 hours to get me to the jobsite, which would be cut down to around 15 minutes, if I could get the bike to be easily doing 40mph - 50mph, the top speed achieved is nominal to me, I just want something with a ton of acceleration, enough that I can pull wheelies, & would need to use some care with, which I am pretty sure I can get with this.

I am also interested in trail use, gearing down as low as I can for climbing, not speed, as there is a lot of beautiful areas I hike, & take single speed bikes, whether 20", or 26" on rides, my favorite being a river valley, which outside of taking in the scenery, I use parts of the massive expanse of downhill for offroad mx, & enduro riding.

Thanks! Ride safe!

lord-frosty,

For a genralized installation of the IPM QS 3000 motor (no gearbox) see:

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=110930

The dimensions (bare motor) are D =5.5" and L of the case is 6.5" with L overall >7.5". Since you are considering a gearbox version these dimensions may not be useful.

FYI: do not confuse the number "3000" in QS 3000 as meaning the typical motor wattage. If you want to know a high safe figure for short term wattage of these IPM QS motors (say 1/4 mile time) multiply the number after QS by 10 X. So by some ratings the QS3000 is at least a 30,000 watt motor. Reports on Facebook register at 40Kw watts. At any rate that interpretation puts the QS1000 motor safely at 5000 watts. So choose motor size carefully. The QS 1000 motor seems like quite a bit of extra power for a BMX build.

IMG_1204.PNG

IMG_1205.PNG

Back