Landspeed Record Attempt

I believe e-tard had "active" cooling on board his race bike
a spray bottle directed at the rc outrunner he uses, no idea how successful
it was ::shrugs:: perhaps we can get more info on that from the man himself?

KiM

"active" cooling

Thinking something like a windshield washer pump /tubing to get water to the hot spots. I would think it need to at least partially run though the axle on the hubs.

Anyone who has ever played with soldering wet pipes can tell you how much extra heat is required just to dry out the metal. Taking advantage of the phase change (water to vapor)is where cooling is at its best. In a super dry environment, it would be killer.

Spraying water on something at Bonneville is a fail. The salt gets everywhere. In any event there's no reason to run a motor that get stressed in a 5 minute run. If it's hot, then you have the wrong motor.

Spraying water on something at Bonneville is a fail.
Against the rules :?:

Would feeding a open cooling loop be allowed. Letting the fluid boil away.

Given the infancy of the class it may not be a issue, but when competition starts to extract all the power possible out of a certain size package, it will be.

I'll be making contact with the guy that has the last say on design and safety later this week.
SeriousKnot, Will you be able to talk how to establish power classes also. A logical one would be the "street" 250 watt class. May be best to bounce this around the group so we stay clear of any motorcycle/ bicycle identity issues.

Is there a published rule book :?:

saw this a while ago,
175CC A-PF
"motorized bicycle" record

in the thread, it says that the "bicycle" ran without the pedal chain and the crank was fixed...

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=41657&page=5

7796626930_f7328d42f8.jpg

edit:
build thread,
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=40482&page=3
Reduction drive system installed. I turned both pedal crank arms to the rear and then locked out the pedal system. Can be converted back to pedal operation for street use.

7533365888_eca18a9c18.jpg

Speedmd, I will know more about the power classes and classes in general when the Tech guys at SCTA get back to me.

Thanks Seriousknot. Very interested on how this lays out. Given the RC motors ratings often equated to ICE cc ratings, it may be easy to continue down similar lines for initial class id. Hub motors are, maybe, a slightly different animal. Where do we cross into a motor scooter/motorcycle motor with hub motor diameters :?:

It may be cool to have a motor size/ weight limit to classes to help push the technology trend toward higher power densities in the commuter motor class sizes.

haven't seen this one before,
machineX
so both picycle and machineX have no pedals...

edit:
those 2 bikes are both started by Marcus of Picycle...
the MachineX has Hanebrink fairing and frame..
article claims its 1000w and have pedals..
http://www.badseyscooters.com/machine-x_burro_bike.htm
http://bikerodnkustom4.homestead.com/AaronPacific.html

[youtube]utN-kU4hjz8[/youtube]

Ok got bad news, I spoke to the committee chair over the SCTA motorcycle section. There is no bicycle class, period. I don't know if the Picycle was sanctioned by the SCTA or some other sanctioning body at some other event. He suggested that we should build a motorcycle instead. The rules are very strict down to the type of handlebar and steering dampners we should use. The record is a tad over 215 mph at Bonneville and 149 at El Mirage dry lakebed. El Mirage is only a bit over a mile though.

sk8norcal said:
......so both picycle and machineX have no pedals.......

OK, call me a purist but a bicycle with no peddles?? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Very-very embarrassing I say, rules or no rules.

I still think it should be a recumbent that can peddle up to at least 25 mph before it is all motor. 40 mph would be better. That way we can say it is indeed a bicycle and satisfy John in CR's concern about side-to-side rocking at high speed.

Seriousknot said:
Ok got bad news, I spoke to the committee chair over the SCTA motorcycle section. There is no bicycle class, period. I don't know if the Picycle was sanctioned by the SCTA or some other sanctioning body at some other event. He suggested that we should build a motorcycle instead. The rules are very strict down to the type of handlebar and steering dampners we should use. The record is a tad over 215 mph at Bonneville and 149 at El Mirage dry lakebed. El Mirage is only a bit over a mile though.

I dont see that as a big deal considering alot of the faster e-bikes already use moped rims and motorcycle tires
not a big stretch to add a custom frame or headset even so as a motorcycle fork can be fitted Honda cr80 comes to mind, ditch the pedals pick up a 125cc size fairing bolt it on, pack the frame full of nano tech packs, put the visor down point the bike straight and twist the throttle ... simple LoL

KiM

Seriousknot said:
.....There is no bicycle class, period......

Is it "period, end of story" or "period, we should lobby for an e-bike class?"

I think you will find out "period" means they will be a b!tch on the rag about it. Not periodic table, what can we learn from a bicyclist. :lol:

Good effort though, I learned a little more about high power applications and high end aerodynamic on bikes :D
It may come in handy some other day.

Seriousknot said:

Someone should definitely go for the record at El Mirage and slam the gassers at their their own game. A mile is more than long enough for an electric to get up to speed.

I think maybe it's that other event at Bonneville that has more of a "run what you brung" attitude.

If there is no Ebike class at Bonneville,
organize a Guiness record event

...Or the electric extreme with Red Bull :twisted:

Seriousknot said:
The record is a tad over 215 mph at Bonneville and 149 at El Mirage dry lakebed. El Mirage is only a bit over a mile though.

u meant 189mph at el mirage ?
http://evworld.com/news.cfm?newsid=29169

how about this?
102mph
a land speed record was set in the under 150 kilogram electric motorcycle class.
150 kg = 333 lbs
http://www.torquenews.com/1075/electric-cowboys-102-mileshr-electric-motorcycle-land-speed-record

e-beach said:
OK, call me a purist but a bicycle with no peddles?? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Very-very embarrassing I say, rules or no rules.

I think its just as embarrassing to have "fake pedals" and trying to claim an electric bicycle record.
It makes perfect sense that Bonneville doesn't have a bicycle class...

anyways, looks like its a pointless record, since nobody can agree on what an ebike is....

I agree with both John and MadRhino, beat them at their own damn game. I KNOW you extreme ebike riders can do it with no problem so show them the new kids WILL take their crown from them. :twisted:

sk8norcal said:
...anyways, looks like its a pointless record, since nobody can agree on what an ebike is....

An ebike is anything with 2 wheels and an electric motor. It's the pedalists who have a problem.

It's kind of a moot point, since Lightning already beat the gassers. Since weight classes seem to be somewhat common, the class we want to get in for our type of ebikes would be under 100kg, under 75kg, maybe even under 50kg. One way or another though I'm going to set one for an ebike powered by a hubmotor.

Regarding eBikes specifically, if I might make a suggestion:

• :idea: What is to stop us from creating a standard, a classification whether our own, or with some other recognized panel or world organization? Become actualized and join their cause if not our own?
Speaking out loud, I like the idea of weight classes as much as I like power (kW) classes. What are the properties that could possibly constrain our performance and level the playing field? Delineating for the sake of conversation:

• Gross weight
  • Total Horsepower (kW) at the wheel
  • Faired vs unfaired
  • Functional Pedals, and pedaling up to x-mph
  • 1, 2, or 3 wheels (seriously – what is the electric unicycle speed record?)
And if you really want to get into the details, why not have fully-modified and stock categories? For stock, everyone uses the same style frame and power plant just like the cars. You could have mopeds, and motards, heck even an amped-up Neighborhood Electric Vehicle; wouldn’t that be fun? :lol: OK, scratch the NEV; it sounded better in my mind… but you get the idea.

What recognized governing bodies do we know today that deal with speed/racing standards?

Inquiring minds want to know. KF

Back