LCD screen backlight flickering

MarkJohnston

10 kW
Hello,

I have a very strange problem. My LCD the SW900 is flickering on and off. The SW900 is a fairly generic LCD that comes in a lot of the ebikeling kits. The back light for the LCD keeps coming off and on but you can still read the LCD just no light to help.

Not only this, but the light I have plugged into the controller sometimes shuts off it's the front light, but it only turns off for a few seconds. Also sometimes an open circuit still get started and the motor will start spinning. This all happens for no Aparent reason

You can see in the pictures with the LCD, I am not changing settings, it just does this.

Attachments

• PXL_20210904_053648388.jpg
    PXL_20210904_053648388.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 1,157
  • PXL_20210904_030842257.jpg
    PXL_20210904_030842257.jpg
    298.5 KB · Views: 1,157
  • PXL_20210904_030848289.jpg
    PXL_20210904_030848289.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 1,157
i JUST FOUND THIS. This literally just appeared after opening the LCD. WTF. I made sure there was no power when opening too...

Attachments

• PXL_20211021_115306299[1].jpg
    PXL_20211021_115306299[1].jpg
    308.3 KB · Views: 226
MarkJohnston said:
Damn, this is becoming a part time job with all the stuff breaking lately, I might just have to throw in the towel here soon...
Apparently you ride your stuff pretty hard. Why not stock up on spares of your commonly breakable parts and treat them as consumables? Then you keep rolling happy with only minor interruptions. :D

99t4 said:
MarkJohnston said:
Damn, this is becoming a part time job with all the stuff breaking lately, I might just have to throw in the towel here soon...
Apparently you ride your stuff pretty hard. Why not stock up on spares of your commonly breakable parts and treat them as consumables? Then you keep rolling happy with only minor interruptions. :D

Yeah im lucking out with spare part. ordered my part on ali last night and should be here in a day or two.

Wow just took the LCD apart and just the simple act of taking it apart completely destroyed it. See the black spot in previous pictures. It's definitely destroyed now.

New LCD fixed the problem. The funny thing is that Chinese seller on Ali baba has a warehouse right here here in LA LITERALLY within 20 minutes. Haha. All the spare parts. Now if only I could speak Chinese...

The whole problem was caused by the light being plugged into the controller and drawing tons of current. That line on the controller will draw the full voltage of the battery even though it slowly destroys the LCD. THIS IS A KNOWN problem with the SW900. Even a dinky 12v light will do it in.

I'm not using that light wire anymore. I'll see if I can speak to our Chinese friends on the Ali and maybe get another free LCD as a back up. I'm just running direct from the battery terminals with terminal screw splitters. Apparently the screws are notorious for vibrating loose though. Not sure how to wire these properly.

Attachments

• PXL_20211102_231825111.jpg
    PXL_20211102_231825111.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 178
Speak Mandarin Mandarin Chinese

We are all learning all the time. The problem with learning is it comes mostly after mistakes. That is why we listen to people who have made the for us. Have made my fair share of them and still make them.

To make something last you stay within the limits of Moisture, heat, cold, vibration, Volts and amps. If you like to play hard then build something for that but don't depend on it if you push it past the limits all the time (This is called testing the limits refer to DogManDan the tester).

Don't get discouraged just learn the limits. I worked in the oil field and open pit mining in years past. Learned the limits of some crazy big stuff. Have done some power slides and donuts in 50 ton trucks had them leaning so far I could touch the ground from my seat. (my drivers seat is above the right front tire which is 6' tall) Did not fall over because it was sunk into the ground on one side.

If you want an off road bike and can't keep an LCD git rid of it. Cut down on what you use less to fix. You mount things on rubber mounts, pot electrons, water proof. It's all in the details time spent pays off. Take time to get it right the first time. Few go back to do things we did not do at first. I'm included in that.

by MarkJohnston » Nov 03 2021 6:10am

New LCD fixed the problem. The funny thing is that Chinese seller on Ali baba has a warehouse right here here in LA LITERALLY within 20 minutes. Haha. All the spare parts. Now if only I could speak Chinese...

The whole problem was caused by the light being plugged into the controller and drawing tons of current. That line on the controller will draw the full voltage of the battery even though it slowly destroys the LCD. THIS IS A KNOWN problem with the SW900. Even a dinky 12v light will do it in.

I'm not using that light wire anymore. I'll see if I can speak to our Chinese friends on the Ali and maybe get another free LCD as a back up. I'm just running direct from the battery terminals with terminal screw splitters. Apparently the screws are notorious for vibrating loose though. Not sure how to wire these properly.

We were mining Kola. That is the white chalky stuff in milk of magnesia, makeup and other things. When you remove the dirt and have a hard smooth service as big as a pond. Drive down the ramp into the pit and get some speed up (still slow) and do a power slide. Truck could do around 40-45mph with a 750+ hp turbocharged V12.

Here is a few pics, not the same truck I drove almost 20 yrs ago but close enough.
CAT773G.jpg
61ton
CatC27.jpg
This is close to what I was running. Had a 7 speed automatic Allison transmission with a lock up converter.

To me most of what is out there is a gamble. That is why we always ask people who buy something new to us how is it. Tell them to report back on it. Share the knowledge. Part of not wanting it back is the shipping at the moment. Shipping has stopped me from buying at the moment.

Back