Left and Right side disc brakes from bike for gokart?

Trogdor

100 µW
I'm dreaming up this go kart and planning on using bicycle disc brakes. Do they make left-side mirrored disc brake calipers?

The problem I'm encountering is that the wheel will be mounted to one side of the brake caliper. On one side the calipers will be perfect with the brake caliper arm on the opposite side of the wheel. If I mirror this arrangement, on the other side the brake caliper arm will be running into the tire. One way to deal with this is to just mount it at 180degrees rotated on the opposite side, but that introduces another set of problems. How do trikes usually deal with this?

So, if it's really going to be quite similar to a gokart, then why not use similar brakes - that is, a single disc mounted on a solid rear axle?

If you're really stuck on the twin disc idea, I don't think it would be a problem to flip the caliper around the other way.

On a bike, the disc mount is always on the left side. Calipers can be used at will on any side, providing that you have a mount. I don't know the weight of your Go-Kart but you have to consider this in the choice of disc brakes, because the thin bicycle discs can be warped with the heat produced by repeatedly braking a heavier vehicle.

My bike doesn't stop fast enough. It weighs about 80 lbs (and I'm 150 lbs). It has 8 inch hydraulic disc brakes. Is this normal, or is it possible that my brakes just not calibrated/maintained properly.

dozentrio said:
My bike doesn't stop fast enough. It weighs about 80 lbs (and I'm 150 lbs). It has 8 inch hydraulic disc brakes. Is this normal, or is it possible that my brakes just not calibrated/maintained properly.
I would say no. I have 6 inch rotor cable brakes on one of my bikes and these stop my bike pretty fast, and I have a set of 8 inch (cheapo (clarks) ) hydraulic brakes on another bike and these are even better than my cable brakes. It can be a bit of a art to setup disk brakes so they work well. I found that the biggest improvement can be had by trying different makes of brake pads and rotors ( this would be the second thing I would do after doing the general maintenance stuff like bleeding the brakes, checking that the calliper is free moving and adjusted correctly )

I can easily lock up the back wheel easily enough, it's the front that does most of the stopping though. And it's the front one I can't lock up :p Not that I would, of course, but I wouldn't mind being -able- to.

They're very old Hayes hydraulic brakes. 2005, I believe. And the pads/rotor could probably be replaced too. In fact, I'm pretty sure it's in a state of complete disrepair.

It is easy to know if the disc is warped, for it will wobble and eventually, rub.
It is easy to know if your brakes need bleeding, for they will have a soft feel and a longer lever travel.

If your brake works normally and you feel the bite, yet have poor braking power, it is the pads that you have to look for.
Pads are not made equal, some are made to last and some are made to stop fast. Also, it takes very little pad-disc contamination to degrade braking performance, touching the disc with a greasy finger is enough to force a change of pads after cleaning the disc with solvent.

Hydro brakes all have power to lock the wheel, but it is not by locking the wheel that you can achieve best braking distance. That is why the best brakes have a precise feel and modulation. To control the braking progression, you need to feel the bite point in your hand and have enough lever control to come as close as possible to locking point, without locking the wheel. Some disc-pads combinations are made to buzz with braking power progression, letting you actually hear the pressure that is applied on the disc and know precisely when it is about to lock.

Grinhill said:
So, if it's really going to be quite similar to a gokart, then why not use similar brakes - that is, a single disc mounted on a solid rear axle?.

+1
Unless this is just an un powered "toy",..i wouldnt bother.!
Most peoples efforts at building their own go kart ( mine included) end up as a sad waste of time , materials, effort, and money!
Unless you are really know and understand kart chassis dynamics ( do you understand "caster jacking" KPI, etc?) .. just go and buy a used kart for $100. It will be 10 time better than anything you can make ( at a much greater cost !)
Also..if you must build,.. kart brakes are better and usually cheaper than bike brakes !

Back