Legalizing a Homebuilt Moped

YOu'd have to check with your local DMV, but I'd guess you have to start with a vehicle that has a VIN and registration, etc., then convert it.

SOme places have an "experimental" classification you could use, but each is different on how that works, so you really have to check with the local authorities to find out exactly what is involved.

Where abouts in mich jonesw19?
(I am on the west coast..grandhaven-norton shores area)

You will have to get it inspected by a cop. It will need a horn & working brake lights. Once the inspection documents are complete the sos office is pretty easy to deal with.
All the gas bike guys have moped plates on the noisy buggers.
Moped requirments:
http://www.michigan.gov/documents/sos/SOS-430_Moped_Certification_290967_7.pdf

More detail for complete licencing....overkill for yoy but you will need an inspection.
http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/how-to-register-make-a-dirt-bike-street-legal-in-michigan.776716/

Lots of good info &links here. I know a couple guys with street leagle CR500 motard builds...wasnt too big a deal...the state wants every registration dollar they can grab.

jonesw19 said:
Hi Endless Sphere this is my first post, I live in Michigan this winter I was considering building an Electric Moped as a fun inexpensive summer cruiser. My question is the actual registration part here is what I have to fill https://www.michigan.gov/documents/sos/SOS_Moped_App_R-2L_220299_7.pdf what do I put for make, model, etc.? Do they check those things? Is it even possible to register a home built moped?

If there's any part of your build that has or once had a VIN, use that to register your bike, even if you have to use a salvage title. If not, consult with a local Harley chopper shop to see what they do with custom built bikes.

ok,... so it's been a bit since this has been updated by OP or anyone else.

After a decade and a half or more, I will be regaining my Michigan residency and legal status this year. For those who may enquire, I'll be residing in NW Michigan, (Kalkaska area). I will also be returning with my e-bike which I use extensively (1500w Leaf, 52v LunaCycle pack on a 29er cruiser) and have summer plans of a new rebuild as well as a "low-powered" build for my high-school aged grandson. You can easily understand my "legal" concerns regarding this issue. AND,... you've discovered as I have, that Michigan is rather "vague" in this matter of e-bikes. Unlike many other states, Michigan regards mopeds quite differently, which jus adds to the confusion of "where my e-bike stands". Michigan is also a state of IMMENSE recreational activity, with many regulations for boating, snowmobiling, off-road activities, golf-cars, quads, Segways, motorcycles of all kinds, low-speed vehicles,... most everything EXCEPT, e-bikes. Still pretty vague, until recently.

The resources listed in previous posts are great. And I add this, for specific references,...
http://search.michigan.gov/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&affiliate=mi-msp&query=mopeds&commit=Search

In Michigan, your e-bike IS a motor vehicle,... sorta. Still vague, but I'm gonna error on the good side as much as possible. IF,.. it's incapable of speeds greater than 30mph, less than 2 brake-horse power (1500w), and not REQUIRED to shift gears (although it may have the capability), then it must be registered as a "moped" to be operated on the street (within certain limitations). It is registered as a "MOPED", and you'll be rejected if you insist that it is anything otherwise (e-bike, assisted bicycle, electric bicycle or any other "bicycle"), although you'll be subjected to "moped" laws on the street!!! As a moped, it must also meet certain other criteria of inspection requirements (necessary lights, brakes, handlebar height, etc.). It IS NOT a titled vehicle, and the bike serial number is adequate (or motor serial number or any permanently stamped number you may apply to home-builds). Should it exceed any of the initial 3 criteria, it is considered a motorcycle and typically CAN NOT be title or registered as it likely can not meet the stricter criteria of required standards, equipment, and material specifications. It would then be considered an "unregistered motor vehicle" and prohibited from use on public streets. It MAY qualify for an ORV sticker for off-road use only on public lands,... but this is issued by the Department of Natural Resources and subjected to a whole different set of regulatory matters.

NEITHER of these state departments give consideration to county, township, city, village or other local regulations which may further confuse ebike owners AND various law enforcement agencies.

The biggest problems in Michigan usually revolve around the hundreds of miles of designated, public, multi-use trails, bike paths, and "sidewalks". Typically, ALL motor vehicles are prohibited from these, and its easy to tell if a "gasser" is running when pedaling on such,.... NOT so easy to discern e-bike operation. But if you have a "moped sticker" or "ORV sticker" on your e-bike,... you will certainly be subject to more closely scrutinized observation, and it better NOT be determined that you are using ANY kind of motor power upon these restricted areas. This gets tough for EVERYBODY when the designated road shouldered bike path diverts to a parallel designated "off-road" bike path near some city limits.

Best bet,... I'll register as moped and keep the sticker somewhat "obscured" from most casual observation while maintaining the loose legal descriptions of location. My grandson will have his moped permit as required of those underage unlicensed drivers, his helmet and registration papers on his person, as required by state laws of young moped riders. He will also be well informed of proper use, and responsibility.

MOST IMPORTANTLY,... we will be RESPECTFUL!!! Respectful of ALL motor vehicles, including our own. Respectful of pedestrians, cyclists, LE and to the best of our ability,... of the rules and regulations currently set forth. I stress to new young drivers, "Being Careful is not enough!! You must be Thoughtful and Considerate too. Statistically, sooner or later you WILL be involved in an accident. If your careful, thoughtful, and considerate,... it may be only minor. But the moment you are CARELESS, THOUGHTLESS, or INCONSIDERATE,... someone will be seriously or even fatally injured!!!" Who knows,... perhaps our Respect may even be reciprocated by others.

Back