LHD Freewheel mounted onto disc brake rotor mounts.

KAZUALT

10 W
I have a NuVinci hub with a LH rotor mount. I would like to find a way to mount a freewheel to the rotor mount. The mount has the standard 6 holes. Is there a ready made product. I have acsess to a welder and other minor fab tool, so I can fab one if I have to. I read several posts but couldn't find a direct answer to this question.
Any help would be welcomed.
Thanks KAZUALT

Would this work. http://www.choppersus.com/store/product/757/Trike-Freewheel-Adapter/. Looks like it attaches to the axel with a set scremm and then you mount the freewheel onto it.

I doubt that adapter would work, your axle should not turn.

Assuming you are driving the left side with a motor, you could put a sprocket adapter on the hub and put the freewheel on the motor shaft with that adapter (or similar).

OK But where do I get the sprocket adapter. I have been looking and cannot find one other than the one I posted above. I will be running a LHD on a NuVinci Hub. The hub has a disc brake mount that I was hoping to figure out a way to mount to.

K,

Recumpence has these:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=11690
Matt also sells an adapter for a standard freewheel to use as a drive sprocket.
I have no idea if this will fit a nuvinci

I don't see how you put a freewheel onto matts adapter. I don't want a fixed gear. I need a freewheel that will mount onto the LHS of a nuvinci hub. I don't want to use a jack shaft if I don't have to.

Again... Why not put a freewheel on the motor?

Sure; the chain will run, just like a Cyclone setup... But, the motor will not be driven by the pedals.

left hand drive freewheels or "South Paw" use a M30 thread. disc brake use a 44mm bolt circle which is larger than the freewheel.

what you can do is take a regular sprocket and drill the 44mm bolt circle on it so it mates with the NuVinci. then mount a freewheel on the motor output shaft.

640003.jpg

640002.jpg

rick

AFAIK Matt has an adapter to attach a 130mm BCD chainwheel to the disc rotor mount, but I haven't seen an adapter for a LHD freewheel.

the problem attaching a freewheel is there is very little space between the rotor mount and the dropouts.

To fit a freewheel in that space may require wider dropouts and a custom adapter.

Let us know what you end up doing, if you figure out a way to fit a freewheel onto a rotor mount I'm sure others will be interested in doing the same.

I have done exactly what you wish to do you have a welder so you can too...

What you need is a bottom bracket cup, they have a left hand thread on them,
and a South Paw Freewheel made in India and available off ebay...Here's some pics
how i made mine-->

LeftHand_Freewheel_adapter.jpg

I had previously cut up a front dual disk brake hub (from ChoppersUS) to make a trike hub disk brake
compatible, i used part of this hub in my left hand freewheel adapter but a disk cut from 3-4mm plate
steel could be substituted just as easily. I only used this because i had it and it saved me time/work.
Simply weld the left hand thread bottom bracket cup to the disk and bolt it onto
the disk brake holes on the rear hub and your good to go...

Best of luck

KiM

p.s the adapter you linked to choppersUS is for a trike axle, it has a right hand thread on it and cannot be used for a left hand freewheel.
I have 3 of those adapters here myself.

here is a lefty freewheel thAt will fit a revers thread BB part.
http://www.niagaracycle.com/product_info.php?products_id=956

Tyler,
the shaft on the motor is 10mm, I have not been able to find one that size.

Aussie,
that is exactly what i wanted to try. Now that I see it will turn out the way you showed that is defianlty on the top of the list.

RKO,
I like your Idea, but it looks like from the pics that you have the freewheel on the rhs. I already have a rh freewheel. I don't want a fixed gear because I don't want the motor shaft turn when not in use. If I am mistaken please let me know.

Thud,
THanks for the link, looks like that will fit the bill.

Wow thanks alot for all the great iseas. Keep them coming. Now that I think I have it figured out, i can start installing my 1018 36v 350w motor from TNT. Next will be outting a LiFePo battery. I have SLA from my electric pontoon boat, 3 12v 10 amp HD, to get by in the mean time. It has only taken me 6 months to finally figure it all out, thanks to this board.
KAZUALT
Soon to be Electric Trikin in Pittsburgh

AJ, your posted pics are always very useful, but sometimes they don't all show! just above, my screen only shows the edge of pics 3,6,and 9.

I think there's a market for a rear disc-mount freewheeling adapter that accepts chainrings or extron sprockets. The Extrons especially, they allow a very small tooth-count on the motor sprocket (Which is why I would hope to avoid having to put the freewheel on the motor, if possible).

Kasualt,

Variable gearing is such an advantage for the motor that even if you get the adapter you want, you'll end up wishing you put the motor power into the right side of the Nuvinci. Plus you need the disc brake anyway. A jackshaft will also make it easier to get the gearing you want for pedal input relative to the motor.

John,
I understand about what you are saying, and since I will not jump into a setup without alot of research, I may end up with the rhs drive. I do not need another disc brake, I have a tadpole trike that has disc brakes on the front. I wish someone that makes motors would have a 20mm shaft. I could easily do a split chain drive with 2 freewheels mounted on the motor. As far as a jack shaft goes, I will do everything I can do avoid one. To me it seems like more efficiency lost and more components to wear out. If I can not find a satisfactory LHD setup, I will probably just sell the motor and controller I have and get a cyclone dual freewheel setup. I just really want to DIY it. Just kind of frustrating that no bike company has even considered tackling a freewheel adapter for LHD that simply mounts to the disc brake mount. To me it seems like the logical choice.
KAZUALT

spinningmagnets said:
AJ, your posted pics are always very useful, but sometimes they don't all show! just above, my screen only shows the edge of pics 3,6,and 9.

Yes a few have said this to me soz about that, try right clicking on the pic then select copy image location paste this into a new browser and the pic should show its full size. Worse comes to worse save it to your PC open it look at it delete it :)
I try to remember in future to make the series pics 2 wide instead of 3 :)

KiM

there is no room for a freewheel on the left side.

with standard 135mm dropout spacing there is only 13mm space between the dropout and the disc mounting face. now you may decide that you can spread the chainstays for a wider dropout space, then use a couple of washers to space it out. and maybe you could. but then the problem is that the LHS axle is quite short and you will not have enough threads left outside of the dropout for an axle nut. and it is not a trivial task to extend the axle on a NuVinci.

this is why i suggested a fixed sprocket on the LHS and use a freewheel on the motor shaft. in my case i am using the NuVinci in a mid-drive. on the left side i have a sprocket to drive the rear axle of my trike. both my pedals and motor will be driving through the NuVinci so both of those input on the right side.

i highlighted the part about the freewheel on the motor shaft because you missed that the first time around.

rick

the other option is to use jesters idea and to bolt it directly to the hub in place of the disc brake adapter.

Nuvinci_Technical_Manual 10.jpg

The splines you see in the picture are cast into the cover and interface to an optional Shimano Roller Brake. the splines have a major diameter of 35mm and a height of 8mm. they would eat into some of your available space. but if you keep things to a minimum you could make a freewheel adapter that would fit into the space required.

so it could be done if you really wanted to. but it would have to be a one-of custom made part.

rick

Rick,
I did not miss the freewheel on the motor. If you look at my responce it says that I have not been able to find a 10mm freewheel. Which is the diameter of the motor I have. I agree that there will not be enough space. For the time being I am going to shelve the Idea. I am thinking about using the nuvince as a jack shaft. Problem is how to mount it. Soon than later I will figure things out. I really like the NuVinci, but I have been thinkin about sell it. But anyways, I am takin my time and hopefully will be able to figure something out. Got a keep reading and askin stupid questions until either you guys get sick of me and stop responding or I scoot down the street on my E Tadpole.
Thanks for the info.
KAZUALT

Hi,
KAZUALT said:
Rick,
I did not miss the freewheel on the motor. If you look at my response it says that I have not been able to find a 10mm freewheel. Which is the diameter of the motor I have.
KAZUALT
You could use an adaptor like one of these (need to flip it for LH drive) with a 10mm to 5/8" spacer or pick a different size:
http://www.staton-inc.com/Details.asp?ProductID=3247

Matt makes 1/2" FW adaptors (use a spacer). Maybe one threaded for left hand drive?

Having one custom FW adaptor made up would probably cost about $50 to $100.

Cyclone Taiwan has the adapters for 30mm BMX Freewheels in both left and right threads with a 20mm bore. they arre available as spare parts. they are used in the geared Cyclone 360W and 500W kits among others.

you would still need a sleeve to adapt from 10mm up to 20mm.

for my application i am using the Nuvinci as a jackshaft. my output sprocket is the one on the left side. both of my inputs are on the right. i'm using the input adapter sold by Staton Inc.

NuVinci Mid Drive 2 HPIM1541.JPG

here they show one used as a jackshaft with sprockets mounted in various locations. and yes there is a freewheel on the motor/gearbox output shaft. remember that the NuVinci has it's own integral freewheel in addition to the one mounted on the input adapter.

Staton Inc. also makes a couple of mounting plates for the NuVinci Hub.

Hstyle022908058.JPG

those "H" shaped openings fit the axle shafts of the NuVinci snuggly and prevent the shaft from rotating. maybe these will help in solving yhour mount issues.

rick

Im making plans to convert "The Rapture" to RC Drive, Gonna need a LHD Freewheel. Want to have Rear disc too. You got the freewheel on a non hub drive and preserved the disc! Rather freaking ingenius! Seems to me this solution would be hard to beat, I will be enoying it too! Thanks! (had to save the image to HD then open in my Image software to see it all! NICE!!!) SS

AussieJester said:
I have done exactly what you wish to do you have a welder so you can too...

What you need is a bottom bracket cup, they have a left hand thread on them,
and a South Paw Freewheel made in India and available off ebay...Here's some pics
how i made mine-->

LeftHand_Freewheel_adapter.jpg

I had previously cut up a front dual disk brake hub (from ChoppersUS) to make a trike hub disk brake
compatible, i used part of this hub in my left hand freewheel adapter but a disk cut from 3-4mm plate
steel could be substituted just as easily. I only used this because i had it and it saved me time/work.
Simply weld the left hand thread bottom bracket cup to the disk and bolt it onto
the disk brake holes on the rear hub and your good to go...

Best of luck

KiM

p.s the adapter you linked to choppersUS is for a trike axle, it has a right hand thread on it and cannot be used for a left hand freewheel.
I have 3 of those adapters here myself.

Found a solution for my problem. They finally started to make freewheels for electric motors available. 15t so it will work with my setup.
Thanks to all for the info.

Back