LiFePo4 car battery

This may be a little OT, but I though I'd post anyway, and see what others out there think as well.
I was thinking about using a LiFePo4 pack for my car battery, and did a little research.
This is what I found from Cyclone,
http://www.cyclone-tw.com/12LFC.htm
dunno about the 30% fuel saving, but sure sounds interesting, especially in our current fuel climate, with fuel prices in 'thermal runaway'!
Has anyone actually tried LiFePo4 in their car, and what was the result?

You'll also see that Cyclone has a new motor, using a double freewheel, eliminating the need for a freewheel crank, especially made for recumbents.
http://www.cyclone-tw.com/order.htm
Have a look about half way down.

That is really clever! Double freewheels are availible in different sizes, so U can maximize the power band!
Other Doc

Here's another interesting tidbit from the site:

LiFeDIY.jpg

http://www.cyclone-tw.com/lithium.htm

...looks vaguely familiar.

(Have Gary and Bob Seen this?)

10Ah36V LiFePo4 battery pack in bag+BMS+10A charger ( 1.2 hours) 688USD :shock:

10Ah48V LiFePo4 batteries pack in bag+BMS+3A charger for 1000W kit ( 3.5 hours) 778USD
http://www.cyclone-tw.com/order.htm

....and this was in red lettering on the bottom of the page TD saw:
"We can build LiFePo4 Battery voltage over 300V with BMS, suitable for 32KW motor." :shock: :shock:

I've been looking at the Cyclone site, coincidently, for the last several days, as I'm very interested in maybe trying one of their 1000W setups. I think Ypedal has one of these that he is putting on a bike this weekend. I had seen the LiFePO4-based packs/BMS/Charger combos before, but assumed they were the "duct tape" variety. I hadn't seen the "DIY" kit picture before, but those are most definitely the same BMI produced cells that LiFeBatt was using, even down to the bar code labels. Their prices are very good, which just goes to show you what can happen if you remove the "extra" layers of distribution. I'm sure they are getting these directly from the factory.

The BMS is interesting as well. It still has a current limit function, which I'd prefer to see eliminated altogether, but at least this one is set to 80A, which is a lot more reasonable. Another plus is that unike the BMS boards that come with the typical DT packs, this one will auto-reset, after the error condition goes away. The balancer portion will discharge up to 250mA, which is not that great, but 2-1/2 times what most others I've seen will do, including LiFeBatt's VMS design.

All-in-all, I think this a pretty good value. At $778 for a 48V/10Ah pack, that's under $50 a cell and it includes the BMS and charger. Not as cheap as a "Ping" pack, but less than the ebikes.ca 48V/12Ah pack and charger, plus the cells are 10-15C.

-- Gary

Sorry Don,
Couldn't find any info there on a car LiFePo4 starter battery.
Got a better link, or can you direct me to other info?
Thanks

This is the NEW Car Start Battery that will be in production soon. We wanted to test it first to see the fuel savings claims were valid. Personally I do not think they are that significant to make a valid claim, but the tests have shown some fuel savings. I think this product will offer some advantages over high-end Lead Acid Car Batteries and will elaborate further once we have thoroughly analyzed all the test results and evaluated the product here. It remains to be seen how the pricing will work out in production /

Just wanted to update the post on this.

View attachment LiFeBATT Car Start Battery.jpg

Thanks,

Don Harmon

How would the capacity of a LifeBatt car battery compare to a normal car battery, and how many amps could it handle?

I'd like to have a battery with a long capacity to use AC/DC peripherals in my vehicle without the engine running for long periods of time.

lookingelectric said:
I've gotta tell you, I would be very hesitant to send cyclone taiwan a few hundred of my hard earned dollars.

There is no connection between Cyclone, Taiwan and LiFeBATT, Inc.

Best,

Don Harmon

http://headway-cn.en.alibaba.com/product/50269244/206234106/Lithium_Ion_Batteries/12v30Ah_LiFePO4_lithium_ion_battery_pack_with_petrol_energy_saving_system.html

:)

Jozzer said:
http://headway-cn.en.alibaba.com/product/50269244/206234106/Lithium_Ion_Batteries/12v30Ah_LiFePO4_lithium_ion_battery_pack_with_petrol_energy_saving_system.html

Nothing wrong with competition. Only, we have actually tested our Car Start battery, and we would never claim a 20% fuel savings. We thought we could until I insisted it be proved before we would sell it that way with that claim. It does save fuel - but nothing like what Headway is claiming. Maybe they have some real world testing that backs up their claim ?

I would love to see it ! :D

Cheers!

Don Harmon

Speaking of claims, when do we get to see the discharge graphs from Sandia?

Jozzer said:
Speaking of claims, when do we get to see the discharge graphs from Sandia?

Email me off list and I will send you a copy of the Report. We cannot publish it until officially it clears the high god's approval. Also just so you know - the tests were done based on an HEV ( Hybrid Electric Vehicle) protocol. We had no control over what specific tests they did or what protocol was used since it's a Dept. of Defense lab belonging to the U.S. Govt.

The Report however is very interesting - just don't come back an say it doesn't apply to e-bikes. The government doesn't seem to be too interested in testing batteries for the e-bike market 8)

Email: don@lifebatt.com

Don Harmon said:
Still no connection between LiFeBATT & Cyclone.
GGoodrum said:
I hadn't seen the "DIY" kit picture before, but those are most definitely the same BMI produced cells that LiFeBatt was using, even down to the bar code labels.
PSI Corp. then.

These greenies and grey cells are coming out through less expensive channels.

<$1/Wh with BMS is likely soon from most LFP sellers other than LiFeBark.

:lol:

The Group Buy will go forward despite the critics reviews. People can make up their own minds and many have already. This offer is here and now, and is being organized properly.

If it wasn't LiFeBATT would not be a part of it. :p

Don Harmon

Don Harmon said:
The Group Buy will go forward despite the critics reviews. People can make up their own minds and many have already. This offer is here and now, and is being organized properly.

If it wasn't LiFeBATT would not be a part of it. :p

Don Harmon
The group-buy threads are down the hall... :roll:

This topic is about auto/car batteries.

Don Harmon said:
Then why do you keep posting e-bike kit pictures ?
Cyclone TW offers LFP for cars and bikes and a car powered by LFP. Clearly the cells are coming from the same factory as LiFeBink cells.

:lol:

Back