Lightest possible Mid drive Fat bike build

Good Day all,

I have a customer that wants me to build the lightest possible e fat bike. We are going to be using one of these frames ( or any think you can recommend)? >>

http://www.carbonbikekits.com/frames/CFM608_Full_Carbon_Fat_Bike_Frame-en.html

We would like a Mid Drive kit and we will just use throttle only. Top speed can be of 25-30 Mph, but most importantly we need lots of usable torque. I though initially Bafang BBS02 or an astro build from Matt. Or are there any other options suitable out there?

For battery we though of having 14Ah split into 2x 7Ah so we can have just one attached for shorter rides. We are looking at getting some resin mods to the frame to house them.

Thanks guys,
Adam

Have you looked at the Tangent Ascent drive options? The 3KW one might be a good fit, and I'd bet Dave could figure out how to adapt the mounting bracket for the carbon frame.

Those look good, They do not however list their prices, where did you find the prices on the Frames ?
Prices of rims ?

adrock8519 said:
Good Day all,

I have a customer that wants me to build the lightest possible e fat bike. We are going to be using one of these frames ( or any think you can recommend)? >>

http://www.carbonbikekits.com/frames/CFM608_Full_Carbon_Fat_Bike_Frame-en.html

Thanks guys,
Adam

Due to posted customer satisfaction, I recommend the BBSHD, available from Luna Cycles, em3ev, and Lectric Cycles. That being said, if you can be happy with less power, then the BBS02 is smaller and lighter. If the BBS02 is what you finalize on (to save a few grams), then I highly recommend a 52V / 14S battery pack (sometimes called a 50V by em3ev).

The stock controller works well with a 14S battery pack, and even though 14S is only slightly more powerful than a common 48V / 13S battery, it adds power with less amps, and amps are where most of the heat is, heat is bad for these drives. That being said, I would suffer the extra weight of a BBSHD at 14S / 50V-52V...it is my most often ridden ebike, not as powerful as my 2600W hubmotor, but best "all around" ebike. Very balanced feel, and light...climbs hills well when downshifted, provides 30-MPH without excessive heat in top gear on flatter ground.

ScooterMan101 said:
Those look good, They do not however list their prices, where did you find the prices on the Frames ?
Prices of rims ?
[/quote]

If you email to them they will reply with the price. They have quoted me:-

CFM608 frame (fork + frame + derailleur hanger) 508USD
1 rim FB100 226USD
1 rim FB80 214USD

teslanv said:
Have you looked at the Tangent Ascent drive options? The 3KW one might be a good fit, and I'd bet Dave could figure out how to adapt the mounting bracket for the carbon frame.

Yup, Dave has advised us he will build a 3205 motor for 1500W.

Also now we are going to have a custom frame built byhttp://www.traversbikes.com/bat-fastard.html more than likely with a battery casing built into the main triangle.

spinningmagnets said:
Due to posted customer satisfaction, I recommend the BBSHD, available from Luna Cycles, em3ev, and Lectric Cycles. That being said, if you can be happy with less power, then the BBS02 is smaller and lighter. If the BBS02 is what you finalize on (to save a few grams), then I highly recommend a 52V / 14S battery pack (sometimes called a 50V by em3ev).

cheers we have tried bafang and now we are really excited to an astro set up ;)

Back