Lightweight 22mm Hub Motor Wrench for Toolkit

teklektik

100 MW
I ran across this cone wrench by Park Tool that is thin and very lightweight and seems a great toolkit addition to handle hubbie nuts in the field. It's got an interesting Y-reinforced head and is long enough to deliver meaningful torque. This tool is probably a familiar item for Real Bicycle Mechanics, but I was happy to discover it...

I've been keeping an eye out for a lightweight wrench to dismount hub motors in the field but never found anything too interesting. Last summer I had a flat 20 miles out and was able to patch the tube without dismounting the wheel, but the episode made me renew my search so I could just replace the entire tube. These seem to be available from many sources - Amazon has good prices and a full range of similar wrenches 13mm-22mm.

scm-22.jpg

It would be interesting to compare the weight of that with a light duty crescent adjustable wrench. That's what I carry in the tool kit on longer rides. The whole kit, including a spare tube, pump, allen wrenches, etc etc etc, has got to weigh at least 3 pounds, maybe more.

dogman said:
It would be interesting to compare the weight of that with a light duty crescent adjustable wrench.
Ha! I knew someone would ask that! It's not listed in the product materials but shortly I'll weigh it and a common 8" adjustable for comparison. It's definitely lighter but we'll get the facts posted ASAP. :D

It's good to have a decent toolkit with you all the time. Still I am coming up on 10K miles on my bikes and have never needed to mess with the rear axle nuts. Found it easy to pull tires and patch tubes with the wheel on the bike. Without your new tool one would be in a world of hurt if the tube needed replaced instead of repaired. Only had the need to replace a tube once in my 60 years thus far. I was 7-8 years old and over filled it with he help of a station attendant telling me just a little more repeatedly until it blew up in my face and he laughed his head off. We were poor I did not have a bike for quite some time so it was not that funny to me. If you are going to carry something for t he rear nuts a lightweight unit like that is a plus. With a bit of sharpening it's probly good to fight off all the zombies in ones travels after dark as well. ;^)

You 100% need a spanner like this with you.

Sent using Endless-Sphere Mobile app

That wrench "looks" a little light, but not all steels are the same.The fact that this wrench is from Park-Tool tells me that it is high-quality steel, and well worth the price.

There are several hex socket bolts on my bike. I know Allen wrenches don't take up much volume/weight, but I still like having a magnetic tip L-wrench that accepts bits. I keep one Philips cross-screw tip, a straight-slot screw tip, and 3 metric hexes, something like this:

images

plus the shortest hex to 1/4-inch socket adapter I could find (Sears Craftsman)

ecr.jpg

spinningmagnets said:
That wrench "looks" a little light, but not all steels are the same.The fact that this wrench is from Park-Tool tells me that it is high-quality steel, and well worth the price.
My thoughts exactly when I first saw it on-line. It's only 0.08" thick (2mm - thickness of a US nickel) but the steel is very hard. As soon as I got it I tried breaking my axle nuts loose and re-tightening them - no problem at all and not a mark on the wrench. Park did not disappoint.

No doubt. I keep telling myself to just get a complete set of park tools. The ones I have have been great quality.

I Just wondered how much lighter it really was than an adjustable in 6". I have some 8" cresents that are very heavy, but the cheapie 6" I carry is thin and pretty light. I got arms from construction work, so I can strip a thread just fine with a 6" handle.

What weighs a lot in my toolkit, is the spare tube with a half a quart of slime in it.

dogman said:
What weighs a lot in my toolkit, is the spare tube with a half a quart of slime in it.

Carry your spare empty. Use it for the emergency fix and fill it with slime when you get home? Would save a lot of space and weight but it would leave your tube more vulnerable until you got home.

dogman said:
No doubt. I keep telling myself to just get a complete set of park tools. The ones I have have been great quality.

I Just wondered how much lighter it really was than an adjustable in 6". I have some 8" cresents that are very heavy, but the cheapie 6" I carry is thin and pretty light. I got arms from construction work, so I can strip a thread just fine with a 6" handle.

I'm with you on the 6" Crescent wrench. I got one with a fairly thin handle that also serves as a tire lever to help pop a bead over the rim. If for some crazy reason I need more lever'age, a scrap of pipe isn't too hard to find.

Ykick said:
I'm with you on the 6" Crescent wrench.
Sadly, the 6" versions I have in hand won't open to 22mm. I have a very lightweight 7" stainless adjustable wrench (SeaSpanner by Maitland Engineering Ltd) in my scuba toolkit that I got to reduce airline weight. It opens far enough but it's a little pricey for trail use - and I prefer not to scramble toolkits, something always gets forgotten. :)

seaSpanner.jpg
Ykick said:
If for some crazy reason I need more lever'age, a scrap of pipe isn't too hard to find.
On the trail: seat post.

dogman said:
It would be interesting to compare the weight of that with a light duty crescent adjustable wrench [6"].
  • 8" adjustable wrench = 192g
  • 7" SS SeaSpanner = 120g
  • 6" adjustable wrench = 112g
  • 22mm Parktool SCM-22 = 75g
Pick your poison... :D

This might seem a little crude but.. having lost most of my toolkit to customs and wanting to keep the weight down I bought a little pair of needle-nose vice grips, something like these Irwins: https://www.gettoolsdirect.com.au/irwin-vise-grip-locking-plier-225mm-long-nose-9ln-original-t9ln.html?gdffi=c5b8f06f736c40afa55474409bb4f069&gdfms=45A70D7AFC5B4C3E84994613B8F9F4CF&gclid=CJDnu_nF89ACFYUGvAodYSgGEg

They turned out to be really useful for so many bits and pieces on the bike/electrical, camping, yanking nose hairs :)
If you are careful they wont damage a nut, had my torqued nuts of numerous times, you can pad more sensitive things.

Back