Loaded Vanguard 2015 Dual VESC / Rear 12S

Awesome! I've been thinking about building my own deck and incorporating the batteries+electronics inside like you did
(i was inspired by the Staryboard deck). Did you need a lot of carbon to make it strong enough? And how is the flex? Once again, awesome!

well, not a lot. I am using unidirectional 125g CF; one sheet on each side. The electronics enclosure making the deck a bit more fragile, I added another sheet on each side after digging it.

I will add two classic crossed carbon fiber in diagonal and make the deck glassy that should be fine. This will allow me also to higher the borders of the area to support the upcoming enclosure :D

This is really a prototype, I am just learning so my next deck will be perfect :D

I was about to add GF, but one guy told me that I should mix CF & GF on the same deck because the GF is extensible whereas the carbon is not. Not sure about that, but I went full carbon.

If only I had a XCARVE CNC... that would be SO much easier !

haha, great - it was really fun to watch even though I didnt really understand much. shouldve paid more attention to french in school :lol:

was expecting you to ride your trampa in the dirt with the rest!!

p.s.: omg, just realized there is a german audio sync :p

its really awesome that you guys built such a large community in paris. wish I had anything close to that where I live! its not only electric skateboarding, but also pumping/touring with the gbombs ... william faugere and cedric hoooo! 8)

thanks ! I wanted to ride and get more footage with the Trampa E-MTB but their focus for me was to get hands on "street" long boarding as their was another section with other guys doing the mountainboard/dirt. I managed to get some E-MTB on my trampa at the beginning :D

at the speed of life !!

1457283861-riding.jpg

Man you have some of the best looking diy electric skateboards ever. I wanted to ask you if you had anymore of those Ronin adapters for the motor mount?

hey, thanks a lot for your kind words. I ride actually quite a lot (and more and more) as I got all my builds achieved.

I am actually doing a carbon tesseract with full carbon enclosure, 10S4P/245kv 14/32T / BMS

I posted this build here : http://www.e-sk8.fr/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=592

regarding the ronin, yes I do but not sure it fully worth using Ronin on electric builds, you need to get some inclined risers and lose the pleasure of the ronin trucks.

enjoy!

hah, sweet!! yesterday night I was looking for vacuum pumps cause I wanted to insert the batteries partially into my cantellated tesseract and also make my own carbon enclosure. fed up of trying without pressure, it just doesnt work unless you make super round shapes. :|

what was the reason you didnt dig into the deck a little to at least remove the strong rocker of the board? my plan was to dig in about 0.5-0.7cm, sink in the copper wires and let them exit at the truck with 3 4mm connectors, then finish the deck with one layer of carbon by vaccum bagging to strengthen the slimmer deck and cover the wire channels, finally make an extra slim carbon enclosure, just like the one you have given in that link!

p.s.: its stupid that you guy do everything in french! could learn a lot in english, but in french I can just look at the pictures! :evil:

hey! yes; in fact I started the blog in English last year but few french people read English (I know it sucks) but then I posted some articles in french and then created the forum E-SK8.FR. We got several UK speakers on our forum which is really targeted about how we do it from scratch and make it as user friendly as possible.

The forum is fully open and is of course nothing to compete with ES or with ESK8builders. I also discourage members to come on the forum to solve some issues they had with sellers that promised something and don't deliver it. Our digital world... make it easy to solve this kind of problem in face to face, using Skype/Facetime/phone... whatever way possible. This makes moderation easier even thought sometimes I don't have time to be able to control this fully. It's all about empowerment.

I consolidate all my builds and tutorial with lots of photos to ensure the langage barrier is achievable. I try also to provide people with real feedback on products as I am not linked to any brand.

We got people from Portugal that posted their builds step by step and that was no problem. The forum is now getting bigger coverage after my TV show appearance and increase of riding session in Paris downtown.

Vacuum make it WAY easier!

When I see your posts about building batteries, this is how I try to build my post, same user experience; show people that DIY is achievable and that they can be proud of what they produce.

icing on the cake would be to sink in the enclosure lip now to make it even level with the carbonlayer on the board ... like on the evolve! probably wouldve needed to route that on the board pre carbonlayer? i might try that after 1 year trial and error with the vacuum stuff. :lol:

yes, in fact I wanted to put all the parts I ordered with a great quality and that cost me a bunch and which are sitting on my desk and assemble few decks, so this is the first one. Routing the cables, digging the enclosures is really nice but this is a lots of time (with my dremel) and the future buyer will just don't care or at least I am not sure he will want to spend more money for that ;)

I wanted to keep it simple and easy. The tesseract got a W concave so no need to dig into the deck on this one.

maybe on my next one, but I now usally spend more time on my board than on my workshop/room :D

Hello, how the vanguard compares to truncated tesseract? I am a beginner and I never ride a longboard before. What board would be better as a platform for an electric skateboard?

Yes, I know the differences but I know that boosted boards use the vanguard flex 3 if I am correct. So, vanguard may be easier for a beginner. Also I like the form factor of the truncated and the fact that in higher speed it will be more stable. Can you post a picture from both decks side by side for size comparison?

thanks a lot ! best thing is that everyone can do it by following the tutorials. It's really straightforward. The key success factor is vacuum pump, it makes it look so easy. You just laminate, put that on a bag, vacuum pump and wait 12 hours.

okp said:
thanks a lot ! best thing is that everyone can do it by following the tutorials. It's really straightforward. The key success factor is vacuum pump, it makes it look so easy. You just laminate, put that on a bag, vacuum pump and wait 12 hours.

I have tried this on my first build but failed, I guess batery pack enclosure shape was too complex for single sheet of twill carbon to adapt, there was air trapped in corners of mold that carbon and resin did not fill, anyway my failure disencouraged me from further experiments with lamination. Are You using clear gelcoat to finish parts?

0Lw7iYYl.jpg

Back