Longest Bike Trail In The USA

Any bike path, 1st thing i want to know is "How many stores, especially grocery stores, does it go to?"
So, if i live near it, i don't need a car. That would be the whole idea of the path. And painted bike lines on the side of a road don't count. Just dedicated paths with no cars too close.

Check out this pretty ebike kid/cargo mamma riding in Harlem NYC. :shock:
:bigthumb: :bigthumb:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziHo8kNL8T0&ab_channel=Propel
amazing bike path, even passed 3 horses :shock: :bigthumb:

Thank you for sharing this resource, ZeroEM. I already aspired to ride the PA and MD portions (individually called Pa GAP Trail and C&O canal trail), as well as the Katy trail, spanning the width of Missouri.

Seeing the vast stretches of completed trail through Washington and Idaho and Illinois makes me smile! I wasn’t aware these rail trails existed.

I’m accustomed to long trips (on pedal bikes) along the road, and the promise of peace and quite on a rail trail seems blissful.

I’m working on it. I rode the stretch through Maryland and West Virginia two summers ago and from Montana across Idaho last year. Lots of credit to the Rails to Trails organization for working with the various jurisdictions and linking these trails into a continuous route.
It would be a dream come true if there was a decent campsite with an electrical outlet every 50 miles or so but in reality it’s really hard to even get to many sections and frustrating to find a place to park.

I am new to bike trekking and would really like to get into it more. Have not really done any yet. The rail trails seem nice but to me could be a bit boring at times, as I have seen mentioned about the Gap Trail between Cumberland and Pittsburg. And i see parts of the western md rail trail are parallel along route 70 into Hancock...just doesn't look fun? have done a few short day rides on the C&O Canal. My problem is i would be alone with no support, seems like most trekking rides are one way. Don't like the idea of leaving a vehicle some where and having to return to it days later. guess this type of riding is a whole different mindset, no hurries, no worries!
Has anyone heard or know anything about the TAT? Trans America Trail. It looks very interesting to me. Wondering if it is a bit more "off-road like" than the rail trails. Also interested in the eastern divide trail.
Looking forward to responses, suggestion....thanks

As far as I’m concerned the rail trails and other dedicated trails that prohibit motorized vehicles (cars, trucks, motorcycles etc) are a godsend. I was hit and nearly killed 2 1/2 years ago right out here on Hwy 89, yes that’s been my user name since I joined this forum. It took many months to recover and get back on the bike and I’m back to enjoying riding again. my problem is that now riding on roads scares me.
I’ve purchased a Garmin rear radar unit and always keep a close eye on the rear view mirror but I still nearly panic as every vehicle approaches. A few times I’ve dived off into the ditch when I saw that there was oncoming traffic and a vehicle behind me. I think you could call it PTSD.
Dedicated trails, even the ones that run alongside major highways are fantastic and my hope is that state and federal policies will encourage the expansion and help with funding these projects and that more of the paths will be linked together into useable routes.
A problem is that in many cases it is up to the local city or county jurisdiction as to whether or not e-bikes should be allowed on the trails. This can lead to situations where following a path you may find yourself on a section of trail where e-bikes are prohibited and you’re breaking the law.
Go slow, keep smiling, say good morning to the pedestrians and above all, keep peddling.

As far as I’m concerned the rail trails and other dedicated trails that prohibit motorized vehicles (cars, trucks, motorcycles etc) are a godsend.
[...]
Dedicated trails, even the ones that run alongside major highways are fantastic and my hope is that state and federal policies will encourage the expansion and help with funding these projects and that more of the paths will be linked together into useable routes.

I hope you reach out to your local public officials at meetings to support more protected bike and ped infrastructure, and more restrictions on car access, parking, speeds, etc. They can't do anything for us if they don't know we're here.

Here is a ride I am preparing for with my Wart Hog MD 750,
just waiting for the rain and thunder showers to clear up,
and trails repairs after a long deep snow winter.

I just found out about it a couple months ago.

Thanks for posting Reloader, that looks like an interesting trail that I wasn’t aware of. I may have to put it on my bucket list.
If you make the ride I would like to read about it from an ebikers perspective. Things like camping spots, distances between charging locations, trail conditions etc.

Back