looking for Kegel Drive wheel Gear

pcerbu007

10 mW
Hey guys so I have a kegel drive wheel gear from diyelectricskateboards.com, and it wont line up straight and true, and I was looking for a new one that is very easy to install and lines up perfectly. any suggestions would be great. thanks

I noticed the same thing. I took a piece of wire and wrapped it around the truck to use as a pointer up next to the pulley. This helps gauge which part is most out of line. Move the wire so it is just a hair away from the pulley like ~1mm. Do this with the bolts just barely snug. Now tighten the bolts in a star pattern and spin the wheel. Apply more torque to the bolts the furthest out of line. I got mine down to a fairly small run out, but there is still a slight wobble. I have yet to run it to know how much will be a problem.

The Alien Drive Systems one seems better designed, but they are out of stock.

So I talked to Alien Drive Systems and they are moving all their stuff to the Alien Power Systems website. They said they have a batch of Kegel drives on the way and should be available in a few weeks on the website. The Alien drive allows to change pulleys and looks to contour to the wheel better.

I just 3D printed my 7th iteration of a Kegel drive gear, 33T HTD 5M-16 mm width. It's for my Evolve board but I designed this one to work on any skateboard truck as long as the hanger is <21 mm diameter.
Hardware is just 5x M6x65 socket head cap screws and M6 nyloc nuts. You need to drill out the holes in the Kegel hubs with a 6 mm drill bit as they're slightly under 6 mm diameter.

It's printed in taulman3D 910 Nylon filament. Any FFF 3D printer that can get to 250°C can print it. This stuff is ideal for belt drive gears, and it's been super durable on my previous iterations. I think this design should last a long time, it's very solid. I'll upload the design to my blog soon. Might only help ya if you can print it in the proper material and get your hands on the screws.

EDIT: wrote 53T initially, I meant 33T

Yeah definitely! Just need to make the post on the blog first. I printed the thing last night while having a party haha, going to ride it to university today to make sure it's all good. When I have some free time today I'll post it up.

Here is my blog post. It doesn't have a link yet for the parts on thingiverse because I just made an account there and you have to wait 24 hours before publishing things. I'll post a link here and on the blog once I can publish it.

https://admechatronics.wordpress.com/2016/04/27/evolve-sprocket-v7/

I fixed it, its lined up and true. I used new m5 screws and washers for those screws. After I test fitted the new screws and washers and saw it lined up, I took one screw at a time added red loctite to each one to permanently be straight and true. I know I can take it apart if I heat up to burn the glue away but I hope I do not need to. The issue was the original plate washer it comes with get bent easily and when it bends that what makes the gear wobbly even if you try your best lining it all up.

Which side did you put the washers on? Under the pulley or plate? My pulley is pulled so far into the wheel that the belt is a hair away. I think i need to space it out some. Have any pics?

This is how I put the wire to check the true.
IMG_5990.JPG

http://imgur.com/a/jxINc

Ok so that metal plate thats suppossed to go in the front of the wheel, I put it in the back before the gear. I then bought small M5 washers for the front. I replaced the screws that came with the kit because they get stripped easily. They are M5 screws. I also added M5 washers along with tat metal plate on the back because it gave me the perfect distance for the gears to be lined up and have good belt alignment.

No problem, I really wish the drive kit was a made to be a direct bolt on and not need so many modifications.

Hello,
My name is JJ Slack, and I own a business called Performance Longboarding.
I've been working on some things and do have some Kegel wheel pulleys available if anyone is interested.
I have both 32T and 36T available in HTD5 X 15mm wide. Price would be $45.00 per pulley with hardware.
You'll notice in the photos that we use a counter bore to make a nice flush fit - cores are reamed with an "F" size bit for a slide fit too.
We do offer Kegels for $60.00 a set for anyone interested, and will machine them at no charge.
Machined cores use shoulder bolts that are 7/8" long.
If retro fitting to non-machined cores, we'd provide 1" long shoulder bolts and you'll have a little gap.
Please feel free to email performancelongboarding@gmail with any questions...
Thanks!
JJ

Attachments

• KP800.jpg
    KP800.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 2,076
Those look very nice, By the look of it I would say that is aluminum for sure which is good for keeping weight down. I will keep you guys in mind if ever my gear decides to come loose and wobbly again

delta_19 said:
SolidSurfer said:
randyc1 said:
Are the motor gears Aluminum or Metal ?
I have 14T motor pulleys in both steel and aluminum ($12 for either).

brah, brah when does your site go live?

We're a ways out before being back online again - we're in heavy R&D mode currently.
That said, we should be pretty on point when we do relaunch... : )

Hey everyone, sorry I didn't post my thing earlier. I was busy with an assignment and I had to update the model a little bit to add flanges so that the belt wouldn't ride up over the edge.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1523057

My lame Evolve board stopped connecting to its remote, so I can't do much more testing at the moment.

Back