Louis Rossman and GRIN Technologies

philf

1 kW
I can't say I'm an avid follower of Louis Rossman and some of his (sometimes pedantic) rants, but he's big on "Right To Repair" and open systems. He just posted a piece about the imminent bankruptcy of VanMoof (the Dutch e-bike maker), and what that might mean, as the full functionality of the bike is app-dependent. In the process, he is singing praise to GRIN's Phaserunner... I happened upon this randomly, probably because I've actually watched 4 or 5 or Louis' videos and YouTube thought this might interest me.

I stay away from anything app dependent. I do follow Luis Rossman after I was having issues with my iphone battery, and bumped into his rants. He is right about "Right to repair". Almost everything now is turning into a subscription model. I would rather DIY anything if time permits. The skills become a life saver when it comes to maintain or fix something.

Almost everything now is turning into a subscription model.
This is one of the things that killed the company I loved for it's music creation software (Cakewalk); they went to subscriptions for their software, though not in the same way that some places do. I'd already stopped testing for them and upgrading some time before that, in some part because I was frustrated that they kept adding new (incomplete, buggy) features without completing or fixing any of the previous ones, often setting my bug reports to "deferred" or even "closed-deprecated" or other closed states that meant they were not going to be worked on anymore.

They made so many *almost useful* things, that could have been great, if they had finished them or fixed what were probably tiny bugs that created big problems when the features were used that way. Their answers became, like everyone else's have, "well, don't use it that way"...but if the feature was not intended to be used that way, why create it at all?

(why be able to shift gears on a bike if shifting gears always breaks the chain....)

In the process, he is singing praise to GRIN's Phaserunner...

Though...the PR is not an open system (none of Grin's stuff really is); it is even based on another company's non-open product (that is less well supported than the *runners).

I stay away from anything app dependent.

This is becoming / has become a serious issue.

There are many new and interesting / useful devices I would love to use for music creation and other things, but cannot afford to get and become dependent on for my workflow because they all are controlled or setup via apps, which of course will only run on a narrow range of OS versions and devices. If the device you have gets an (unstoppable) OS update that prevents the app from running (or running correctly, and the device / app maker doesn't update it to fix this, you can no longer use and/or setup the device.

Some apps are actually built with timeouts in them (see several of the controller setup software threads around here for examples) so they will no longer run past a certain date, and if the maker doesn't make an updated version (or doesn't alter this timeout in the updated version so it doesn't run past that date either, which has happened, and then not been fixed), the device depending on the app is no longer usable.

Some apps are built to require communication with a company server, for no reason whatsoever as regards the device or app functionality, and if it can't reach the server anymore, the device is no longer usable.

Etc.

There are so many ways to break such a system, and so few ways to keep it going (all of which will continue to forever cost money for end-user and/or company producing / supporting the product), that it is not worth investing in any such device. By the (short) time you have learned to use it and integrated it into your workflow, it may well have become obsolete and no longer be supported or functional.

It cannot even be predicted when this will happen, as a timeout in the software could expire the same day you get it, or in a year, and the company could cease to exist tomorrow, making it impossible to use the device anymore.

Until it suddenly finally failed several weeks ago, I had a MIDIMan USB-MIDI interface from 1996 that just reliably worked, using just the generic Windows drivers for such things. I have numerous musical I/O devices and software bits that still work completely for all functions, since their design and creation in times from the 1980s to the 1990s, and a few from later years. More of the ones from later years were created in ways that were not very universal, and not standalone, requiring software updates to keep them functional or usable for computer-interfacing, so less of those are still completely functional.

Huge fan of Louis Rossman, glad to hear i'm not alone. :es:

Louis reminded me about this website after 14 years. I even remembered my login! Been quite a while. Might have to post my builds!

I have not had much time to view Louis Rossman's vlogs lately, but I was watching this video. What is up with Zero motorcycles? They wont replace a simple motor bearing, but charge $3000 to replace the whole motor? EVs have so much potential, but companies like Zero and Tesla's will probably make sure these are out of reach from General people :(

This is one of the things that killed the company I loved for it's music creation software (Cakewalk); they went to subscriptions for their software, though not in the same way that some places do.

I use Cubase for some basic music editing. and I really hope they Cubase/Yamaha does not go Subscription based. I used to use and love Photoshop, but not anymore. I already have enough monthly bills to pay, and would not want to add more to it...lol...especially a subscription for something I use few times a year.

Until it suddenly finally failed several weeks ago, I had a MIDIMan USB-MIDI interface from 1996 that just reliably worked, using just the generic Windows drivers for such things. I have numerous musical I/O devices and software bits that still work completely for all functions, since their design and creation in times from the 1980s to the 1990s, and a few from later years. More of the ones from later years were created in ways that were not very universal, and not standalone, requiring software updates to keep them functional or usable for computer-interfacing, so less of those are still completely functional.

Right....It is easier for companies now to make everything subcription model based. I think Windows 11 and future relases will be cloud based. That will be day I will seriously look into Linux or other OS based DAWs. I need the good old days back. Lol. I still Treasure a Windows XP laptop to use with my Old Yamaha Motif Synth Plugin editor software.

I need the good old days back. Lol. I still Treasure a Windows XP laptop to use with my Old Yamaha Motif Synth Plugin editor software.
XP was where I stopped trusting in data security. The IT guys where I worked confirmed it checked into the mothership constantly, as opposed to Win 2000 and earlier. So I kept 2000 as long as practicable.

While it would be better for them not to do this, thankfully the checking in from XP (and even up to the Win10 version I presently have at least) is something you can hack out, or otherwise prevent, as long as you don't need updates/etc (and at least with XP you could still manually do the updates, even downloading them individually and separately from a different computer if you wish (like with my old DAW that had no network connections or even protocols or hardware installed).

I have not updated my Win10 machine (because it will probably break things I need to work exactly as they do, and undo my required customizations); so far it has not been necessary to do any of the things I actually need it to do.

I use Cubase for some basic music editing. and I really hope they Cubase/Yamaha does not go Subscription based.
Well, remember that your old version(s) would still work, and if you don't need new features you wouldn't have to get the subscription version. That's assuming your old version doesn't phone home periodically to see if it's still ok to run or not, or require reactivation via company servers either periodically or during reinstallations, etc.

I'm still using an ancient 8.5 version...

(one thing I did give CW credit for--they never went with dongles like iLok, etc., and when they finally felt the need to go beyond serial numbers and add pointless useless antipiracy measures, they only added a simple one-time registration-code generation, so you register your serial number (automatically or manually), and get a registration code back that you can use forever with that serial number on that version of that software, and they also kept a list of everything you ever registered with them so you could even call them up to get the s/n and reg codes for your stuff should you lose them (this helped me immensely after the fire a decade ago)...and when they went out of business, they ensured (somehow) that their servers would remain up, even the activation servers and forums--they have still been up for years so far after the company went byebye. )

I still Treasure a Windows XP laptop to use with my Old Yamaha Motif Synth Plugin editor software.
I still have an XP based system (and old parts to build lesser replacements if necessary) to use for stuff that doesn't work on later OSs, like my mid-1990s Gadgetlabs Wave8*24 audio/midi interface, and the control/editor software for the even more ancient Studio128X...but I don't use it much right now, as almost all the music stuff I've done for a while has been on the Win10 laptop, almost entirely in software.

XP was where I stopped trusting in data security. The IT guys where I worked confirmed it checked into the mothership constantly, as opposed to Win 2000 and earlier. So I kept 2000 as long as practicable.

Windows 7 era wasn't too bad. But Windows 2000 was my absolute favorite.
At least you had a nice interface to look at, and you could turn off about 90% of the obnoxious things they started introducing.

I've been using Linux Mint as my primary operating system for over a year now, with a Windows 10 virtual machine running on another monitor for programs that don't have a Linux equivalent.

Linux Mint is an exceptional distro. I've had less problems with it in using it for 1.5 years than i have had with Windows 10 machines and especially Windows 11 machines. Have about 4 other machines in the field running it with 0 problems in the 1.5 year trial. Totally love it!

While it would be better for them not to do this, thankfully the checking in from XP (and even up to the Win10 version I presently have at least) is something you can hack out, or otherwise prevent, as long as you don't need updates/etc (and at least with XP you could still manually do the updates, even downloading them individually and separately from a different computer if you wish (like with my old DAW that had no network connections or even protocols or hardware installed).

I have not updated my Win10 machine (because it will probably break things I need to work exactly as they do, and undo my required customizations); so far it has not been necessary to do any of the things I actually need it to do.

True. I disable networking on my DAW. So many software/plugins and incompatibility issues with patch updates. I have a 20 year old hardware synth, which I dont want to sell as it works fine for my needs, but I need XP to edit some synth settings once in a blue moon. The thing with digital devices, everyone feels the need to upgrade with the fear of missing out. I use Windows 10 for personal use. But looking into Ubuntu as well. Microsoft Office 365 is now subscription based, and Office 2021 is licensed, but with some upgrade limitations.

Last edited:
I've been using Linux Mint as my primary operating system for over a year now, with a Windows 10 virtual machine running on another monitor for programs that don't have a Linux equivalent.

Linux Mint is an exceptional distro. I've had less problems with it in using it for 1.5 years than i have had with Windows 10 machines and especially Windows 11 machines. Have about 4 other machines in the field running it with 0 problems in the 1.5 year trial. Totally love it!

Interesting. I have never used Linux Mint. I will try out on a VM. Open Office, GIMP, DaVinci Resolve has a come a long way now. I probably will not miss Windows OS, or just run Windows on Linux using Oracle VM. Most things are free in Linux world.

The only linux DAW I have heard anything useful about is Reaper, which I have yet to try out (it is also available in Windows, though I don't know if it works the same in each OS). But then aside from starting over creating a workflow, templates, etc., one must find stable realtime hardware drivers for audio and MIDI interfaces (good luck in most cases; probably have to buy new hardware specifically to get this), lose access to all sorts of synths and effects one may already use that don't have working Linux versions, etc.

Those are the things that have deterred me from switching... I have a linux laptop to learn linux itself on, and I really should stick Reaper on it to try out...but AFAICR I only get a couple months trial on it once I start it, and havne't really had a stretch of time I know I can spend on doing that.

Interesting. I have never used Linux Mint. I will try out on a VM. Open Office, GIMP, DaVinci Resolve has a come a long way now. I probably will not miss Windows OS, or just run Windows on Linux using Oracle VM. Most things are free in Linux world.

Try the Cinnamon variety, it's the one that's the most like Windows.

Krita is a halfway decent photoshop alternative. Prefer it over 'the gimp' very much.
Apparently there are ways to run Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo via Wine; so you can get a pretty good editing experience there.
Inkscape is slowly becoming a decent competitor to Adobe Illustrator itself.
I use intelliJ IDEs like phpStorm for coding and the experience is equal to the Windows version, and it is faster on Linux.
Brave browser/Chrome works great on Linux.

DAWs? i have yet to fall in love with anything on the Linux side. With an external midi/audio card, you could hook that into a Windows VM and see fairly low latency, so using Windows software is not out of the question for me.

I have to keep Windows around anyway to help proof designs in Windows, which has some significant differences in how it renders fonts vs Linux. This sucks, but hey, i get to live in Linux 80% of the time, so i'm happy. :)

Having had to work on a few such atrocities, I can't think of any better justice than for everyone who had a part in designing these pieces of crap to go broke.

Van Moof bikes should now all be recycled into something much more useful, like beer cans and electric toothbrush batteries.

Try the Cinnamon variety, it's the one that's the most like Windows.

Krita is a halfway decent photoshop alternative. Prefer it over 'the gimp' very much.
Apparently there are ways to run Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo via Wine; so you can get a pretty good editing experience there.
Inkscape is slowly becoming a decent competitor to Adobe Illustrator itself.
I use intelliJ IDEs like phpStorm for coding and the experience is equal to the Windows version, and it is faster on Linux.
Brave browser/Chrome works great on Linux.

DAWs? i have yet to fall in love with anything on the Linux side. With an external midi/audio card, you could hook that into a Windows VM and see fairly low latency, so using Windows software is not out of the question for me.

I have to keep Windows around anyway to help proof designs in Windows, which has some significant differences in how it renders fonts vs Linux. This sucks, but hey, i get to live in Linux 80% of the time, so i'm happy. :)
Wow...you seems to know a bit of everything. It is true DAWs are lacking in Linux world...yet most vendors like Yamaha, Korg actually use some form of Linux kernel on most of their synthesizers, yet they dont want to come out with anything commercial for Linux yet...maybe because of the number of users.

Affinity is fantastic. It would be great to use it with Wine. I have not tried Krita, but I will.

For development, nothing beats Linux. IntelliJ, Eclipse, Kubernetes, Java, LAMP, and the list goes on...good days! :D ;)

yet most vendors like Yamaha, Korg actually use some form of Linux kernel on most of their synthesizers,

That's interesting. My old Ensoniq ASR88 (and the EPS16+ I wish I still had but loaned out and never got back) used a presumably-custom OS, but runs on a 68000 series CPU (like the Mac Plus); I don't know if the OS was based on anything or totally custom. I don't know what the EMU6400 I've also got runs on. (I expect the Yamaha TG33 and FB01 are simple enough that they don't use an "OS" as such).

But anyway...it sounds like I really should get cracking on doing stuff using the Linux machine...

I stay away from anything app dependent. I do follow Luis Rossman after I was having issues with my iphone battery, and bumped into his rants. He is right about "Right to repair". Almost everything now is turning into a subscription model. I would rather DIY anything if time permits. The skills become a life saver when it comes to maintain or fix something.

My Samsung S21 battery was dying, still had about 60-70% of the charge left compared with new. I thought OK, just replace the battery like I've done before on previous phones. Nope. Very involved process where you now have to unglue and reglue the phone casing itself, with a bunch of different specific tools. No thanks. I asked Verizon what am I supposed to do. They said hardly anyone does or even 'can' replace cell phone batteries now, that's done on purpose (so the manufacturers force you to upgrade the phone). Luckily I got the S23 for free with the S21 trade-in. But it's ridiculous, there was nothing wrong with my S21 at all besides the battery. Moral of the story is: you are 'free' to choose any cellular carrier, but they all have their ways of keeping you locked into their little gravy trains.

Yeah, i've done a lot with computers.
Affinity is fantastic and highly underrated!

I went with Linux for my development shop because SSHFS allows for direct filesystem connection over 1000's of miles.. i stayed because intelliJ's phpstorm works as well on Linux as it does Windows.

And yeah.. LAMP stack is where it's at for simplicity and productivity still, even after dozens of attempts to reinvent the wheel. :bigthumb:

My Samsung S21 battery was dying, still had about 60-70% of the charge left compared with new. I thought OK, just replace the battery like I've done before on previous phones. Nope. Very involved process where you now have to unglue and reglue the phone casing itself, with a bunch of different specific tools. No thanks. I asked Verizon what am I supposed to do. They said hardly anyone does or even 'can' replace cell phone batteries now, that's done on purpose (so the manufacturers force you to upgrade the phone). Luckily I got the S23 for free with the S21 trade-in. But it's ridiculous, there was nothing wrong with my S21 at all besides the battery. Moral of the story is: you are 'free' to choose any cellular carrier, but they all have their ways of keeping you locked into their little gravy trains.

Exactly. My iphone was few years old and the kept dying out of the blue with 0% charge. Apple tech performed a battery helthcheck and didn't come up with any issues. But the phone would simply drop to 10% from 60% for no reason.

If batteries were replaceable, it could never hurt to have some extra packs during travel or for emergencies. I really need to look for alternatives.

EDIT: I do recall I had patched my iphone to the latest, for no reason...and the battery kept draining after that, and it had to be charged everyday! I waited for months for Apple to fix the software issue, and they did come up with an update which fixed the issue, but the damage was already done to the battery. If it were not for their iOS bug, the battery would have had a lot more life remaining. I do not update anymore unless it is something very critical or security related (not that I run anything financial related apps on my phone or intend to).

The issue with Apple iOS Battery draining is very common.

Last edited:
Louis reminded me about this website after 14 years. I even remembered my login! Been quite a while. Might have to post my builds!

Now you mention it, I knew I heard the name before I started searching for information about the tsdz2(b). I will miss the ride arounds NYC, it was a way to relate to the hardships US cyclists have to put up with :)

Having had to work on a few such atrocities, I can't think of any better justice than for everyone who had a part in designing these pieces of crap to go broke.

Van Moof bikes should now all be recycled into something much more useful, like beer cans and electric toothbrush batteries.

Every time I saw some foreigner proudly showing of their VanMoof and as one of the 'characteristics' said it 'Dutch' so it had to be good, I couldn't help but feel sorry for them.

Not that I feel better as them, just poorer. I fell into the same kind of trap with buying a bike from a manufacturer, wanting to order an extra battery and being told : ow sorry, we're really busy launching version 2 of your bike, and that has another battery so we don't have replacements in stock right now.. come back in ten days I think we will have it sorted. And that was months ago by now. Luckily it was a cheap bike, and with luckily I mean that cheap bikes uses standard components ( hailong batteries in this case, hailong 1 the old style with room for built in controllers ). Not that the manufacturer reminded me nicely after telling they like treating their existing customers as crap while pretending to be a green company: ow and use 3rd party battery and you void warranty... And to claim their mission is 'affordable 'green' transportation', but if you have one of their older models and need a battery they tell you what you have in your garage is basically ewaste.. weeks after you bought it.. and with them still selling the same bike on their website.

But anyway, even if the manufacturer is a pos, the bike itself is a big box store bike with slapped on low end 'electric conversion kit' so if I really needed the extra battery right now I could order any hailong 1 / 3 battery + mount I wanted and just transplant the controller.. like I done with a 48v battery for some time so it had some more beans..

VanMoof was never built / designed out of ecological or economical propositions, VanMoof is like Apple -> you pay more and get less, but you'll look good having it ( or so they think ). No user serviceability because of proprietary parts.

I don't have much sympathy with people who never realized they were on a death end if something happened with the company and who now cry foul. Do your research before buying, and stay clear of anything which smells like a closed ecosystem designed to get the most money out of you.

Back