Lower back pain and bikes

I believe the best posture is straight, meaning you can draw a straight line passing by the heel, the hip, and the ear of the rider. See the first position in that pic, on a dirt bike. This is the posture that gives the rider the best balance control and shock absorption. Some may feel more comfortable when leaning ahead or behind that straight posture, but it is an illusion.

image3.png

Started riding with a group 50 to 92 year old. All are riding for health reasons (some recommended by their Doctor). No back pain from riding only my muscles are. Now my pain comes from working on my trike. I am the only one with a E-bike and peddle with them 6-8 mph or 13 kph. flat ground or down hill engage regen (it's variable) while peddling and put 100 - 200 w/h back in, came home and only used 7.2 watts. not bad for a wheel chair and lost 10lbs the last month. My back is better so say what you must about recumbents.

Hey Chalo, you getting massages or what?

Last active:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:51 am

Last post by Chalo » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:41 pm

Chalo said:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hopefully the massage service is called "Happy Endings"
She luv u long time

Edit - Chalo Last active: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:18 am
E-HP said:

A rider need to keep zen, because everyday he sees many to whom he’d like to inflict lower back pain. :roll:

MadRhino said:
See the first position in that pic, on a dirt bike.

I don't know about the angles, I rather suspect that there are a wide range of possibilities. But it's hard to see in pictures - and even harder to see in yourself - how the lower back in particular is inflected. Many of us are not otherwise used to a posture that provides good back support, and it's hard to get into that position because of tight muscles around the hip area. I'm no expert in these matters, so I'm not going to offer any specific advice, but it did help me to see a photo of myself riding my motorcycle (unfortunately, taken by an automated red light enforcement camera), wherein my back was more rounded than I expected. If things aren't working too well, a photo taken from the side could be worth studying.

It just varies from person to person, depending on the injury. Straight back for sure for me, whatever the position the legs are in. Any car, somebody else drives it, they have to lay that seat back. I have to be straight up, so I can use the core muscles to support my back. Laid back, my back will go into that twist that hurts. So for me, its definitely all the way straight up, or all the way laid down in bed. I don't own any slouchy chairs anymore.

Riding my scooter, my feet are very forward, but I keep that rear shock set very soft so I don't need to keep my weight on my feet, as you would riding a dirt bike or crotch rocket.

One thing that surprised me very much, was how much it worked my core muscles to ride the gas scooter in corners. A good ride on a curvy mt road does wonders for my core strength. But only if you ride it fun, pulling max g's and leaning it all the way. I'll go to an empty parking lot sometimes and ride a ton of corners at 15 -20 mph, just to work my core.

RE the dr ho's thing. I would not wear one all the time, but wearing one might extend the back enough to keep your nerves from grinding till you get stronger. But you still gotta get that core strong, so you are always able to hyperextend. Wearing back supports too much can let your core get even weaker. So wear it when you must, but try not to live in it. Keep going ten hut, and get those muscles over your kidneys strong.

FWIW, once I got really hurt, that was the end of 8-12 hour work days. I HAD to semi retire, and work till it hurt too much, then STOP. That was 30 years ago, and I will NOT need my back fused. It cost me tons of money to work less, but not my life.

My Mother has started to have back problems riding her E-Trike. The trike is better than her 2 wheel she can not ride anymore. So I was thinking of replacing her bike seat with more of a chair like seat. Have the seat further back and lower. Any thoughts?

To find the straight posture, it is the one that you’d adopt instinctively when the ride is getting rough.

Straight posture is the same we try to teach horse riders, but only a third of them will succeed. It is much more difficult on a horse, because of the width. On bikes, it should be easy but some bikes geometry doesn’t let you set the cockpit straight.

The straight line, passing by ankle, hip and ear, is the perfect posture to minimize damage to the back, and to recover easily from bumps/drops/jumps. The leg almost extended is best, but not mandatory as long as the ankle, hip and ear are aligned.

On bikes or horses, you know that you are straight when you can control the balance and direction with hands in your pockets. :idea:

Three options that help me a lot....

A. I stand up a lot and let my legs take the shock loading over bumps.

B. I use a suspension seat post. The Diamondback is my preferred option but there are a lot of options out there. I like the DB because the movement is straight up and down as opposed to for and aft like the Thud Buster and the DB allows me to change the preload on the spring within reason.

C. Seats...my favorite is the "Comfort" seat that Nashbar used to sell. Haven't seen it available in a long time. It was that big but did provide some cushion both from the seat padding and the suspension in the seat.

And of course posture...my bars are fairly high so I don't have to bend over. AND if you have a mountain bike and like the bend in your bars but can't find the same bend in a higher bar...this riser: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007WEQIT4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 is the best one I have found and allows you to raise your bars 4.6" and this stem: https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/products/truvativ-hussefelt-stem-40mm-0deg-31-8-1-1-8-black will bring them back closer to you.

Standing the pedals adds another set of shocks, your legs. As MR was saying, this does not always mean your body is in a coffin straight posture. But only if your nose, knees ( or hips), and feet are in a straight line are you perfectly balanced. This is the mandatory position for skiing as well. Allows those balance adjustments easy. But riding street, you can do it with a less than perfect position for balance forward and aft. Like pedal forward, but you still have head and hips in harmony.

But the critical thing in your case bullfrog, is taking some of the shock on your legs. With my bad back, I stand on the pedals for 90% of dirt rides. Even the best suspension may not be enough. I just use the seat to help me lean the bike this way and that. I might look like my ass is on it, but its pinching it, not sitting my weight on it. from the waist up though, my injury definitely requires a straight spine. It can be tilted this way or that, but not curved into a bike racers tuck. So I need tall bars, I can't hunch over MTB straight bars for long. I can keep my spine straight in that position, but it takes more effort, which shortens the time I can do it. So I put tall bmx bars on my MTB's. On street, I sit the the comfortable saddle, but still want to stand the pedals over any big bumps, so no pedal forward for me. I have a bent, but it just hurts my back if ridden fast.

Others though, may require a forward curve to get the pinch out of a back nerve. Just depends on the injury, which side of your disk is deflated most, which nerve is getting pinched. I have a friend who gets big pain if he stands up fully straight. I'm the opposite.

Your legs can take amazing hard hits, as long as your knees are bent. This is good for bumps, jumping, and crashing as well. This is true for all joints, for none of them can take much punishment when they are locked. Those who are used to crashing, are quickly learning to keep relaxed with all joints slightly bent.

Yep. lots of people think that saddle is for sitting on. Really, its not. How else do those racers sit on that killer saddle for 150 miles a day? They mostly put about 20 pounds of their weight on it, or less.

But the days I can pedal like that, are long, long, long gone. Only in the rough dirt do I stand the pedals as much as I used to. For the street, the longtail bike is my savior. It gets my ass off the rear wheel, and into the center of the bike. So my saddle just rocks, it needs no seatpost shock. But I do run a spring seat that still helps a bit.

6-1-2015  Schwinn Cruiser with 52 t crank.JPG

Took a day off from riding my tadpole and my back pain came back a little. Trying to get my head around why riding my trike at least five miles a day lowers my pain to almost nothing. After a ride my back feels great until I do something like bending over or sit to long. I have over a 1000 km on my first e-trike and riding longer and farther each month. I feel better each month and have not used a walking Cain after I started riding. My neck bothers me if I try to keep it off the head rest to much so I moved the seat to a more up right position but felt some discomfort riding and low level pain after the ride but still better than not riding. So seat back down and work on head rest type and position for the neck.

It feels like therapee when I ride, 59 now and wonder how long I can ride and how many bikes I will go thru. Thinking of joining a group that rides out of the city limits in the low hills that surround us. 30 to 60 mile rides. (48-100km)

Started having some pain of late, trying to figure out what is causing it. I think it is my legs and lungs have improved the last four months and I can peddle up hills and it is causing me pain from the pressure of pushing hard. Going to try and keep my human watts lower on the hills and see if this is the cause. I started at 2 km and would be give out four days a go did a 50 km ride and used 250w and was not give out. more watts per km I guess or I can slow down my average speed was around 28km a month ago was 13km with no back pain.

by kingsizexx » Nov 12 2020 11:01am

I always meditate before I ride my bike, awareness helps relaxing and focusing, and pain goes by itself

The mind is powerful, always feel more relaxed after a ride. Most of my rides are alone a river path, few people with time to enjoy. Have fell out of riding the past 4 months and my back pain is rising. Time to get back to it.

Back