Lyen EC-12411OSL won't work with Ezee motor

medusa569

100 W
I bought a lyen controller a couple of years ago and never got it to work...I'm trying again but am having no luck with the Ezee motor. It is sensorless and I found the three variations of phase combos that do run but shortly after throttle application it shudders or stalls. It didn't do that with the other KU controller. Any tips on what it might be. I have no programming apparatus but i thought it would come already configured for my application
(36 volt battery) from Lyen.

It's a sensorless controller and Lyen's sensorless usually don't work with geared hub motors as the e-rpm is too high... You need a high speed controller.

The eZee hub motor is very similar to the MAC and BMC hubs: it's geared, and it has a lot of poles, therefore it has a very high electrical RPM. It's the second most difficult hub motor to control. The only more difficult motor for a controller to handle is the Q100H & Q128H motors, having a dual stage reduction ( 12:1 - 13:1 ) inside.

A sensorless controller already has quite a job in figuring out what the position of the motor is without hall sensors helping it out. It can't keep up with the RC motor-like eRPM of these particular motors!

Well isn't thank great ....thanks Lyen! The only other motor I have is a sensored 9c motor and this wouldn't work for that is it's sensored..so why did he sell me this controller?! So geared motors need high speed controllers and direct drive don't? Are there any controllers that can work with any type motor..both sensored and sensorless, direct and geared? My thanks to those who responded.

medusa569 said:
Well isn't thank great ....thanks Lyen! The only other motor I have is a sensored 9c motor and this wouldn't work for that is it's sensored..so why did he sell me this controller?! So geared motors need high speed controllers and direct drive don't? Are there any controllers that can work with any type motor..both sensored and sensorless, direct and geared? My thanks to those who responded.

The sensorless controller will work with a sensored 9c motor... since it's direct drive. Only problem arises from sensorless controller to high pole count geared motors (since they spin faster by 5X or more)

As I said previously, you need a high speed controller. You need one that can handle a high e-rpm as Neptronix pointed out.

I have had the same problem with both the Sensorless and Hall

6 FET 3077 Mark II Mini Monster

and both my Cute Q100 and Q100C Cassette. Lyen tried to have the low level firmware fixed and I bought the new one to try but it is doing the same thing: It might be a bit better than before when the bike is moving 5km per hour or more, but at less than 5km per hour it still stutters under load. It works a bit better when applying the throttle slowly, but when there is a hill, it will not get going at all.

I'm waiting for Lyen's response to see if there is a solution. He tested it and it looked like it was working, so he might have accidentally sent me an older controller.

Anybody try any other programmable controllers that work with Ezee or Cute100? All I wanted to do was set LVC and limit the Current.

At least its nice to have a backup for the direct drive motor ..although I really like the light weight and free flywheel of the geared motors. On for the hunt for a high speed I didn;t know the lowly $35.00 controller did the better job than the $100.00 plus model. On ward and upward for a new backup. Thanks guys !

Back