MAC 10T @ 36V vs 12T @ 48V??

Relating to the original question of this thread, I'm after an electric drive for a Surly Big Dummy, for hauling cargo, mostly flat riding but an occasional short 8-10% grade.

The Mac seems a good choice, and I'm considering running either a 10t on 36V or a 12t at 48v, on the front wheel so that it's independent from the drivetrain. Using the simulator, they seem to end up practically the same efficiency, if the throttle is adjusted so that both motors are running the same speed for each grade. Any practical considerations between the two options, will the 48v need more active PAS level adjustment to maximize range? I'm after good battery economy rather than raw speed, and 30-35km/hr with good run time is preferable over higher speeds.

The biggest shark pack from EM3EV is a 48v 13s5p jumbo shark pack. I was thinking a 36v 10s7p in the same case would be a good size, but they don't have one listed. Their biggest 36v is a 10s5p shark pack. Would a 48v 13s5p with Mac 12t give a similar run time with lower throttle, compared to a 36v 10s7p Mac 10t?

Make sure you have a temp sensor in the motor and a C.A. v3 to monitor. Less likely to melt. Plus talk to paul or Mac for special turn motor.

If you want to ride off road and/or have reasonable torque at slow speeds...go with a mid drive like the BBSHD. It allows you to adjust the gearing to your needs where with the MAC or any geared hub or direct drive hub, the only thing you can change is the diameter of the wheel/tire that the motor is mounted in and that is not enough to make a significant change.

I started with a 12T MAC...ended up switching to a BBSHD for off road. Experience is a tough teacher :lol: .

Bullfrog said:
If you want to ride off road and/or have reasonable torque at slow speeds...go with a mid drive like the BBSHD.
I started with a 12T MAC...ended up switching to a BBSHD for off road. Experience is a tough teacher :lol: .

I run a BBS02 and couldn't be happier with it. However, he decided he was set on using a torque sensor and belt drive. So, it had to be a hub motor. It still hasn't even gotten up and running as it appears the included controller is a lemon.

PeteCress said:
Bullfrog said:
I started with a 12T MAC...ended up switching to a BBSHD for off road
Bump....

Is one significantly noisier than the other?

Not that I can tell....they are both super quiet. With the BBSHD you have the bicycle's gears/chain that move and with the MAC you have the internal planetary gear train. A Direct Drive would be the quietest but how much quieter, I don't know...all I hear are the leaves crunching beneath my tires with the BBSHD and the MAC.

I have an Ultra based bike and a MAC 12t based bike. For me, it's about hills. They both do well on most (anything paved), but the edge clearly goes to the Ultra.

But for an easy to ride "go to" bike, the MAC bike is the clear winner. I used a 35a KT controller that works really well.

PeteCress said:
AHicks said:
I have an Ultra based bike and a MAC 12t based bike.
Do you perceive a difference in noise levels?

Without a doubt. Thanks to it's steel gear, the Ultra is considerably noisier than the almost silent MAC, and if considering the BBSXX motors, it's noisier than they are as well.

It's not THAT bad though. I describe it as a low growl at lower throttle settings, and it's most noticeable in quiet surroundings. Wind and high traffic areas will cancel it out. Bottom line though, the noise is no big deal if the idea of a torque monster w/torque sensing is something you find appealing!

Back