Manufacturers/Dealers to Gravitate Towards

for australian ebike riders i can recommend leitner electric bikes www.leitner.com.au
great value and sturdy. i got two, one for my wife and my mate got one too. they are not performance bikes though, have 250w max with speed limit 25km/h.

I searched the thread for Hong Kong ebay seller vpower and only a single hit came up.

Anybody have experience with them/their kits?
They are up for auction and start at very low prices.

I love their slogan. "more cheap more choices" :lol:

Lectric cycles. Answers calls and emails daily and prices are competitive. No wait for support on every Chinese holiday. :roll:

tomjasz said:
Lectric cycles. Answers calls and emails daily and prices are competitive. No wait for support on every Chinese holiday. :roll:
+1 for Lectriccycles. LeGrand knows his stuff and is on top of things.

Avoid Leafbike.com

Bought a motor and battery. Battery never arrived, got stuck in Shanghai customs. Leafbike never told me, poor at communication.

I filed a paypal case to cover myself while I waited. Leafbike requested the battery be returned to sender - without telling me.

Waiting for the issue to be resolved through paypal.

The motor isn't all that great either, bearings screech when I take hard corners.

Avoid this seller.

keywords: leafbike likebike.com shipping paypal claim issues problem

Lectric cycles provided a quick turn around on a failed part not supplied by them.
Long Island Electric Bicycles also provided quick answers and great prices on accessories.
Both free shipping AND very competitive pricing. 2-3 day turn around.

I saw a few mentions of BMSBattery.com already, but no one mentioned their shipping rates and speed.

Has anyone had experience with their shipping? Are their rates and prices reasonable?

I'll be shipping to the USA, and I assume they're in China so I'm a little worried about super long shipping times.

After reading about all the China shenanigans I'll stay with EM3ev. Responsive, and competitive pricing. No hassle warranty service. In the end every bit as good as a stateside vendor.

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=60401&p=903487&hilit=Bmsbattery+shipping#p903487

DavidD said:
I saw a few mentions of BMSBattery.com already, but no one mentioned their shipping rates and speed.

Has anyone had experience with their shipping? Are their rates and prices reasonable?

I'll be shipping to the USA, and I assume they're in China so I'm a little worried about super long shipping times.

My experience buying a motor and charger from BMS on separate orders is that shipping charge to NYC doubled the cart price.

However, shipping time is/was better than expected. About a week each order.

But language is a HUGE barrier and potential pitfall dealing with majority of Chinese vendors.

The 400W charger did arrive with my desired voltage setting. It's working as expected, no problems.

I asked a few questions about the Q128H motor and some controller options but got very confusing responses so I just bought the loose motor and sorted out a controller state side.

Be advised, adding a seemingly $8-$10 rim to BMS hub motor order bumps the cost of shipping up another $20-$30 IIRC. For that difference you can buy a good eyelet rim for about $30 shipped, 13/14ga butted spokes from Danscomp for $22 shipped and build a much better & stronger motor wheel yourself.

Might as well learn wheel building/truing because anybody who rides hub motors for any significant length of time will eventually deal with spokes/rims. Other than EM3 (Paul) Chinese wheel builds are generally horrible and only intended for riders under 140lbs.

Ykick said:
DavidD said:

My experience buying a motor and charger from BMS on separate orders is that shipping charge to NYC doubled the cart price.

However, shipping time is/was better than expected. About a week each order.

But language is a HUGE barrier and potential pitfall dealing with majority of Chinese vendors.

The 400W charger did arrive with my desired voltage setting. It's working as expected, no problems.

I asked a few questions about the Q128H motor and some controller options but got very confusing responses so I just bought the loose motor and sorted out a controller state side.

Be advised, adding a seemingly $8-$10 rim to BMS hub motor order bumps the cost of shipping up another $20-$30 IIRC. For that difference you can buy a good eyelet rim for about $30 shipped, 13/14ga butted spokes from Danscomp for $22 shipped and build a much better & stronger motor wheel yourself.

Might as well learn wheel building/truing because anybody who rides hub motors for any significant length of time will eventually deal with spokes/rims. Other than EM3 (Paul) Chinese wheel builds are generally horrible and only intended for riders under 140lbs.

What's the consensus on where to get a hub motor kit these days then? I don't need the absolute cheapest, and I'm looking for a basic 250W unit. I don't mind assembling my own wheels either, I've got a truing stand already. I'd also don't really want to wait half the summer for it to show up, so many of the Chinese sellers are out.

Many people seem to like Ampedbikes.com, but their info is so sparse on what they're selling I'm hesitant to buy from them.

I bought a battery from www.calibike.com from a guy named Rafe (pronounced Rah-fee).

The battery was damaged during shipping, and he spent a good hour or more walking me through all the diagnostic procedures to figure out what the problem was. Initially, he thought it was the BMS, so he sent me a new one. However, we found out that one row of cells had been drained completely. Before I could even ask, he told me that he would send me a new battery. Rafe promptly returned every call that I made to him. I highly recommend him as a vendor, especially if you are looking for a lithium ion battery (18650 cells).

+1 on calibike.com, I got Rafes' 48v 15ah battery and it was just as I expected. Seems very well put together and gets me 32mph hot off the charger with my 1000w yescom kit. I would reccomend Calibike.com to anyone looking for a cheap but well made 48v battery shipped within the USA.

Edit: now all Rafe has to do is get a higher amp BMS for his 72v pack.. If he had a 30-40a continuous discharge rate for his 72v pack he would be selling them left and right.. His 48v pack has a 30a continuos discharge rate so why does the larger 72v pack have only a 20a discharge???? I would've loved to get the 72v pack but not if I can't run it hard without the BMS shutting me down :-(..

Rafe if you are out their listen to me, I'm sure people would love to buy a 72v 10ah pack that can discharge at 30-40a continuously.. The BMS limiter on that pack is a HUGE turnoff.

Rafe if you are out their listen to me, I'm sure people would love to buy a 72v 10ah pack that can discharge at 30-40a continuously.. The BMS limiter on that pack is a HUGE turnoff.
Read his specs. He uses 2C 18650's. AH times C rate equals max discahrge rating, so 10 x 2 =20A. He seems to know what he's doing, and doing it right. Putting a 40A discharge bms on a 10ah 2C pack would just kill it prematurely. if you want a high discharge small ah pack, you need high discharge rated batteries, not 2c rated ones. Think 20s 20C rc lipo or very expensive other cells.If you want a bms on it, you can get 80A bms's for it fairly reasonable.

Well then get the samsung 20r or 25r cells.. All I'm saying is it would be nice to have a high voltage battery pack that ships from the USA.. The only thing comparable to what I want is from hi-powercycles and their batteries are insanely overpriced.

Edit: even if the higher amp discharge reduced the battery life by 20-30% it would be worth it because of the price.. If it could get me 400-500 charge cycles it would be worth it to me. I ran the 48v 15ah battery Very hard last night WOT for 90% of my ride and the battery barely got warm.

Have to agree with a previous poster that there are some issues with LeafBike which used to be (and still has their web page open) LeafMotor.

Looking for a good supplier here in Texas and have run across a place called ElectricRider (site at http://www.electricrider.com/default.asp). Anyone with experience ordering their bikes or kits?

amberwolf said:
There's a few posts that mention them and/or discuss them. ;)

http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/search.php?keywords=electricrider&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=all&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

Most of which seem to be asking the same question - does anyone have experience with them - or talking about the pricing. Was hoping I could perhaps get a testimonial or two (or warning if that is more appropriate).

You probably won't find many reviews because they are so expensive and decptive no one buys from them. Being from TX and wanting to support home folks, I looked into them a few years back. They rebadge Clyte motosr and really mark them up good. They make it hard to tell what you are really paying for. Pheonix II, Brute or Cruiser. They don't really give you any specs on the motors, just how many watts you can get with their controllers and how great they are. It would be the last place I'd buy anything from. They may have great service. I don't know and don't plan to find out. You can buy the same products a lot cheaper elsewhere. Besides I think the Clyte products are way over rated. I came to that conclusion by reading all the problems people here have had with them over the years. I think all the reviews are bogus. just look at the date on each. Then read how the guy that bought the 7240 system is so happy with the 36V custom battery pack they made for them. :)

I honestly don't think you can go wrong with a cheap yescomusa motor/controller/throttle combo. They are pretty easy to upgrade wires in hub if u want more power and are cheap enough that if the hub breaks, buy a new one for like 150$.. From what I've read on here not to many people have bad things to say about the cheap ebay kits. Infact some people have put 1000s of miles on their cheap kits..

wesnewell said:
You probably won't find many reviews because they are so expensive and decptive no one buys from them. Being from TX and wanting to support home folks, I looked into them a few years back.

Sorry to hear that. In that case, is there a legitimate US (if not Texas) based store that offers a 72v rear hub kit and battery that you can recommend? I really want to find something that can get me up the hill at the end of my ride a little faster than 8-10mph.

EwanG said:
Sorry to hear that. In that case, is there a legitimate US (if not Texas) based store that offers a 72v rear hub kit and battery that you can recommend? I really want to find something that can get me up the hill at the end of my ride a little faster than 8-10mph.
I know you have a 1000W motor and that's all i can find. I don't know which motor it is, and I don't know what battery pack you have. Since I don't know specifics, all I can do is tell you how to get more power to the motor using your controller. It's call a shunt mod. And this is how you do it.
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=31643
Your battery pack needs to be able to output the amps required after a shunt mod to raise max amps.

We're getting way off topic for this thread. If you want to continue this, please use one of your prefious threads or start another specific to this problem. Be sure and provide links to your kit and battery pack so people can provide proper responses.

EwanG said:
LockH said:

Unfortunately only the first couple sentences are viewable and the rest are behind a paywall. Since I don't live in Austin I'm not sure it's worth paying for the one article. Any chance they publish elsewhere or you can summarize what the rest details?

Yah. Paywall. Re the writer:
"Pam LeBlanc writes about fitness and travel for the Austin American-Statesman. She has worked for the Statesman since 1998 and written her weekly fitness column, Fit City, since 2004. She also writes a monthly car review with Pete Szilagyi called Pete 'n Pam.

Pam rides a bicycle to work, swims on a team and runs with her girlfriends. All her hobbies, from scuba diving to horseback riding and snow skiing, involve bulky gear. She lives in Austin with her husband, who is really good at applying bandages and ice packs."

Basically seems a "positive" article about ebikes, maybe read by thousands. Publisher may think she is a "keeper", at least.

Back