melted phaserunner xt60

goatman

10 MW
melted another one :?
after heatsinking the PR on the stiletto i melted the xt60 at 55ish? amps
and i think it was a bad solder joint inside the PR
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=111861&hilit=gotta+hole#p1657116

only put a couple hundred km's on this one and it melted the positive xt60
phaserunner is bolted to the battery box and battery cable is zap-strapped to the box
but it was shoved out of the PR about 1/8inch when i opened up the box to see what happened???

IMG_20210709_191742.jpg

IMG_20210709_192758.jpg

look at the deformation/melted pin

IMG_20210709_193852.jpg

IMG_20210709_195054.jpg

the xt60

IMG_20210709_195356.jpg

IMG_20210709_193022.jpg

gotta see if theyre open today to buy another one

i was going to buy another one to keep pre-programmed on the bike for a quick fix on the road

got this one working again but that pin wont do amps again

Good information above, just got introduced to this problem after couple of weeks 10 rides @ 2500watt
max bat amp 50,
phase max amp 60,
also overheated negative post with the XT60 snug and secured couldn't pull it out for frame service.
Reached out to Grin for some warranty help, but got no answer so far, probably too busy.
Might end up dissecting one like you. Looking for more info before I'll do so, but the warranty...

Good information above, just got introduced to this problem after couple of weeks 10 rides @ 2500watt
max bat amp 50,
phase max amp 60,
also overheated negative post with the XT60 snug and secured couldn't pull it out for frame service.
XT60 is rated for 30 amps continuous.

Thanks for heads up, it depends about what article you read. The connector was loose at the fist installation so I've pushed pins apart to ensure that I'll get a snug fit.
I'm looking into ways of fixing it right now as not the female plug have burnt, but the internal male post. Solutions are here on the forum, thanks for a great job putting it all together.
I've started getting less power after I've set up e-brake actively @ 25amp, inspection of the connector was a must as I've seen a video on Youtube talking about it.

from the web
:XT60 connectors are able to handle 60A continuous and 180A peak when using 12AWG wire (150A peak for 14AWG wire). The connectors have solder cups to make installing the wire more simple and clean. They are polarity specific, meaning that you can’t accidentally plug your battery or component in backwards.

SPECS​

WeightXT60 (MH-FC): 3.3g
Each XT60 (HF-MC): 3.2g Each
Max Continuous Current60A
Max Peak Current180A

from the web
:XT60 connectors are able to handle 60A continuous and 180A peak when using 12AWG wire (150A peak for 14AWG wire).
I'm not sure why the cable gauge would be taken into consideration when providing a current rating, unless they somehow can predict how much heat will be carried away. I would not use that web source.

Look at the spec sheet from Amass for XT60. They make the connectors. They say 30A continuous. They provide 0.55mOhm spec. That's 0.5W at 30A and 2W heat at 60A.

Good schooling, there had to be a connection issue. I've used 8 sqmm feed wires for heat dissipation just in case that prevented female one from overheat, not the male one. Even amass has some note about wire gauge. But the manual @PR didn't mention higher currents regarding other issues but battery abuse. My fault was setting it above those 40A practical from the PR instructions.
Now my USB programming wire stopped working for some reason, I've been able to lower the battAmp setting prior to malfunction and use dielectric grease on both contacts after cleaning and adjusting pins.
And the good news I've got the response from Grin team :) will probably buy new set to be able to enjoy the summer until repaired unit will come back.

The phaserunner manual:

9.1.1 Electrical Peak Battery Current Programmable up to 90A*, practical maximum is around 40A due to phase current limits.

The Amass web:
  • Model: XT60-M

Recommended app: Controller
  • Product color: yellow/black/blue

Metal: Gold plated
  • Instantaneous current: --

Recommended wire gauge: --
  • Rated current: 35A

Insulation material: PA
  • Contact resistance: ≤1.0mΩ

Operating temperature: -20°C to 120°C
  • Withstand voltage: DC 500V

Recommended number of uses: 100 TIMES
  • Flame retardant rating: UL94-V0

Specification download

PDF spec sheet I've found, also mentioning something about wire gauge.

产品型号 Item No. XT60-F 接触电阻 CR 0.55mΩ 颜色 COLOR 额定电压 DC 500V 金属材质 Metal Material 铜镀金 Brass Gold Plated 额定电流 RC 30A 绝缘材质 Plastic Material PA 瞬时电流 MC 60A 阻燃等级 FR LEVEL UL94 V0 推荐使用次数 USE TIMES 1000 TIMES 推荐应用 Recommend USE 电池 BATTERY 推荐线规 Cable SPEC. 12AWG 安规认证 CERTIFICATION . --- 工作温度 TEMPERATURE .-20℃ to 120℃

Thanks for pointing out to this. Most sellers claim 60Amp as RC, so youtube videos I've got +mislead.

Back