• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

mid mounted cruiser

zaphod911

10 mW
Greetings!

I recently pulled the trigger on a "retro" bike which is going to become my Autumn eBike project. Here is the bike i will be working with (the color is an ice or sky blue):

hawkclassic-hudson-big.jpg

I have done some research on various mid mounted electric motors, and have noticed they are all mounted beneath the bottom tube. Is there anyway i can mount the engine inside the main triangle?

sickbikeparts.com was selling 24v kits that allow you to mount the motor in the frame triangle and it drives your crankset. They have sold out and plan to offer higher voltage kits again in the fall.
Looks like Shimano roller brakes on yours. What brand of bike is that?
install1.JPG

I would bet on that frame, you could get a GNG above the down tube instead of under it.

Clay

wheelbender6 said:
Looks like Shimano roller brakes on yours. What brand of bike is that?
Shimano Nexave if i am not mistaken. It has a 7 speed hub / roller as well. The bike is from Hawk Classic (http://hawkclassic.com/) a firm from Berlin that specializes in retro bikes. The Duncon would also be a cool base to build upon. BTW, this is the color of my Hudson:
hawkclassic-duncon-big.jpg

flyinmonkie said:
I would bet on that frame, you could get a GNG above the down tube instead of under it.
Clay
Thats what i am thinking as well! Before i shell out the ~400 for a motor, I was hoping someone could post pictures of the mounting bracket. Are they reversable? I figure reversed + flipped should work like a charm.

At some point i want to swap the hubs out for a Sturmey XL-FDD 90mm front roller with a dynamo and a 5speed + 90mm roller in the back. I noticed in another thread that other members find that internal hubs, aside from the Nuvinci and the Rohloff, cannot handle high wattage motors. Is this true? Does anyone have personal experience with hub gearboxes and electric motors?

Back