Middrive e bike v. car drag race

speedyebikenoob said:
Really not sure why 60 mph would be a big deal on e bikes if non motorized bicyclists hit those speeds regularly downhill on stock bikes?

They do it for a moment, with all their senses alert, attention focused, mind and body primed to react.

Having done it on a bicycle and on a motorcycle and in a car, I can assure you that those things don't directly compare to each other. I'm sure if you convert your bicycle into a janky homemade motorcycle, you can find a janky homemade motorcycle experience somewhere in between.

Riders sure don’t have the habit of talking to their cell phone or tuning the radio at 60 mph.

Then, for someone building on steel frames, thinking that suspension and hydro brakes are fetishism, 60 mph on a bicycle must feel janky.

I did it on a 19 lbs road bike, and I was happy that the hill pavement was smooth and trafic sparse. On a stiff DH bike built with the best components, it does feel comfy and handling better than many motorcycles that I did ride in my life.

Chalo said:
They do it for a moment, with all their senses alert, attention focused, mind and body primed to react.

For all the good it would do them, if something went wrong.

Whatever, it's your ass and no one minds if you do that kind of thing. Like ... say, sailing. Once I talked to a guy who had sailed alone from Seattle to the Hawaiian Islands in a relatively small boat, maybe less than 30 feet, and was on his way to Australia. People do it - I don't know, maybe lots of people - hundreds! But that is, by many orders of magnitude, not what 30 foot sailboats are for, and if you went around insisting that sailboat owners are fools for not leaping to invest in technology that will be needed to deal with the rigors of crossing the Pacific Ocean, they'd rightly say you're nuts. That guy, my hat's off to him - good guy. If you're riding a bicycle at 60 MPH, sweet - enjoy. For the average person, it's nuts - if you need to get from point A to point B that fast, don't get a bicycle, and if you're shopping for your electric bicycle, don't expect it to be designed for that.

For that matter, it would be unfortunate if that practice somehow became a significant reality for electric bicycles. Legal ramifications, insurance, but also just the promise of the bicycle as a somewhat human scale transportation technology that can be operated by human power. We had bicycles like that until the electric motor came along, and they turned into motorcycles? I hope not. The majority of electric bicycles here in Seattle are curb rentals from "Jump", one of those big time disruptive business ventures that has somewhat foundered on the impracticality of the concept, but the problem is not that they're gutless. That's fine - people ride those things all over the place, and there's plenty under the hood to make bicycling tolerable for people who haven't developed a lot of bicycle muscles, endurance, tolerance, whatever it takes to get there purely on your own. (Seattle is not flat country.) The motor cuts out at 10 or 15 MPH. That's what electric bicycles are about - maybe the low end of the range, but my point is that it's an essentially hybrid technology that's called "bicycle" because it still is, a bicycle.

It was when I lived in Seattle that I could reach 55 mph while pedaling to work, any day. Admiral Way from the viewpoint over Elliott Bay down to Spokane Street is steep, smooth, and completely without driveways or cross streets on the right as you're going downhill. All I had to do was tuck in and let her rip.

It's a different thing, risk wise, for a pedal cyclist to get up to those speeds than for an e-biker to have that capability on tap. The opportunities are few and the durations short, so exposure to speed related hazards and equipment failure is relatively small.

Back