Mobility scooter registration

calab

1 MW
What country are you in?
Maybe all you need is a disabled parking stall placard, but the fuzz aint going to be pricks to disabled people, play the part a bit f2f.
Also it depends on what your "mobility" scooter looks like. I once saw a guy with hand pedals, para, getting a sideways starefrom a wanna-be fuzz with a cell phone and note pad of paper, but the key is what country your in. Its a federal thing, physical access, its a human rights issue. Those are some key words, but be nice about it, smile, joke, then be pissed off later.

If the scooter does not have a serial number or VIN, they probably just want you to register that you own one and perhaps require that you buy insurance. If it has a unique serial number, you can check with the local police if they have a record of it being stolen. At any rate, I would get a bill of sale from the current owner.

Its easier to start with anything that has a vin, and work from there.

I don't think you need to register anything like that if you use it to accommodate a disability. Furthermore I don't think you should even try to register anything like that. If the local pigs don't let you go anywhere a bicycle is allowed, contact the local news and/or an opportunistic lawyer.

Here in Australia, a mobility scooter is not legally a motor vehicle but a mobility aid like a wheelchair & doesn't need registration. Someone using one is still considered a pedestrian & so must use footpaths, crossings etc.
I've been repairing mobility scooters for a living for 7 years now & all the scooters I've worked on had a serial number somewhere, usually a sticker on the seat post, the back of the chassis or under the floor mat.
Hope this helps.

AussieRider

Well in the US of A, we have a little thing called the Americans with Disabilities Act that says, basically, whatever equipment you need to use public amenities is allowed. We don't have decent health care for poor people, but we have that. So it's our duty to assert this right when it's applicable.

Back