Motor comparison

anonjihen

1 µW
I was curious if anyone had any thoughts or insight into a couple different motors I'm looking into for my motorbike. Here are the contenders (they are both bldc):

Motenergy ME1305 PMAC Motor, 24-48V, 6 hp cont, 15 hp pk (replaces ME0907)
https://www.electricmotorsport.com/me1305-pmac-motor-24-48v-6-hp-cont-15-hp-pk.html
Input voltage of 30-72 VDC. 100 amps continuous, up to 300 amps for 30 seconds. The phase resistance is very low at 10 milli-ohms, so it is 90% efficient. This motor has a built-in bi-directional cooling fan and internal temperature sensor. Motor weight is 22 pounds.

This motor is a direct replacement for the NEMA C 143T Etek (Briggs & Stratton) brushed DC motor. It is an Axial Air Gap permanent magnet motor. This technology offers a very compact unit with a high power to weight ratio.

Rotor position is tracked through a UVW hall sensor array, connected to a 5 pin Delphi connector.

This Brushless motor requires a 3 Phase 8 Pole PMAC controller.

These patented axial flux motors are designed to work with sinusoidal (sine wave) controllers such as the Sevcon Gen4. NOTE: We do not recommend the use of trapezoidal wave controllers with these motors. This may reduce their durability and efficiency, as well as void it's warranty.

Specifications

Power: 6 Hp continuous, 15 peak Hp
Voltage: 24-48V DC
Maximum Speed: 5000 RPM
Torque Constant: 1.20" lbs/amp.
Max Motor Current: 300 A/1min.
Bi-directional fan w/ aluminum cover
Motor Diameter: 8".
Shaft: 7/8"x 1-3/4", 3/16" key
Weight: 22 lbs

And:

Motenergy ME0201014201 PMAC Motor, 24-72V, 6 hp cont, 19 hp pk
https://www.electricmotorsport.com/pmac-ss-me0201014201-pmac-motor-24-72v-6-hp-cont-19-hp-pk.html
Product Description
Designed for long life. No brush maintenance. The motor has peak efficiency of 90% at voltages between 24 to 72 VDC. Continuous current of 90 amps at 48 VDC. This is a 3-phase, Y-connected Permanent Magnet Synchronous Motor with an axial air gap.

This motor goes slower as compared to the ME0201013001 motor, with more torque per amp.

28 turns per phase Line to Line resistance of 0.025 ohms Motor weight of 22 pounds.

So what I'm mostly curious about is which do folks think is best for a small motorcycle? The bike's total weight with rider: 400-440lb. The goal is to only be able to go up to 50-60 mph and not take it on any highways, but fast enough for all the suburban and rural roads around me. I'm leaning toward the 4201 but I a having a hard time finding full specs for it and I wasn't sure if I really needed 72v or if I could do with 48v.

Additionally, does anyone have any opinions on which Kelly controllers work best with these?

Kelly controllers are bad for traction applications, have throttle lag. Sevcon, asi better. I don't know about those motors either. They're probably very expensive for what you get.

Have you considered a hub motor? Silent, smooth, simple.

did you make the motorcycle? those are some big motors.

the topic of motor comparison though, isnt there a thread somewhere comparing motors looking at their KM and other things on here somewhere? I cant find it.

Im hoping someone can show the math on figuring the KM and I think its even easy but Im really bad at math. I understand its relationship to kv, kt, and resistance generally but as soon as it turns to a formula I dont know and never see KM worked out in steps for me to emulate. how about 65kv and 45milliohms?

Back