Motor controller with variable regenerative braking

Teh Stork

1 kW
Hi,

We are going to build 3 test benches for mid drive motors. My question is related to controllers with regen capabillity.

I have used controllers from Sabvoton, Kelly and TIs Instaspin FOC development boards - most have been a simple coasting regen, where the instaspin board did full variable regen.

The testing is automated using a microcontroller controlling everything, 1 battery feeding the test bench and 3 motors with separate motor controllers. 1 motor emulating the human input, 1 motor under test and 1 motor for regeneratively braking the motor under test and motor emulating the human.

Pass/fail testing is based on efficiency measurement, temperature check after extended riding and noise level.

Currently I am researching what motorcontrollers to go for. The motors used are around 1 kW at a bus voltage of 36 V. Originally I was planning external power meters - but researching the problem more maybe this measurement can be internal to the motor controllers.

Where is time researching/programming best spent? Is the VESC project the best bet - or are there simple china controllers of fair quality that will do variable regen like BMSbattery Kunteng controllers?

Appreciate any input,

I believe all of the controllers that Grin sells has variable regen. Is this setup going to be throttle or regen, but no coasting?

It is basically going to be throttle or regen, yes - no coasting. Motor 1 will activate torque sensor in Motor under test (motor 2), and Motor 3 will act as a generator. Motor 3 will get the whole brunt of Motor 1 and 2.

Could do a simple 3-ph rectifier on the generator, making sure that the voltage generation would be higher than the battery voltage through gearing - but this would make for a very fixed setup with regards to what loads and rpms can be tested.

Grin products are quite pricy for what they are. I would rather have a go at VESC if allowing that kind of budget for the controllers.

It is basically going to be throttle or regen, yes - no coasting.
The Powervelocity controller I had, had a slide regen setting. I liked it after getting used to it. At first I made a button for coasting, but later just got used to using my throttle to “coast”. Slide regen works as you described.

VESC and the Phaserunner / Baserunner all do variable regen. AFAIK they can be controlled from the throttle or a separate variable input. Since the *runner are based on ASI, then those do it too, but ASI is much more of a PITA to setup than the Grin stuff, because Grin wrote their own good setup software for it. :)

Back