• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Motor question

WeeChumlee

1 kW
Hi all,

I have read a lot on this forum and it has been an invaluable help to me as well as just plain interesting.
There are a few discussions about motors I know but what i would like to ask is for direct comparisons - should anybody have done any.

What I have are two boards, one with a 50mm 1800W motor being driven with a 6S config. 1 : 3 Gearing
The other a 50mm motor, 2200W, driven with a 8S config. 1 : 3.33 Gearing

Both do great and I am happy with them. Where I live though is reasonably hilly and though the boards really do go up all the hills the longer hills obviously are a strain and the motors do get rather hot.

What I want to do now is make another board, this time with pneumatic 5" wheels from AlienDrive. (Nobody seems to have any alternatives so no choice there)
I want though, if possible, is to keep the board single drive. No really I do. :eek:)

I intend to use between 8S -> 10S - depends on which batteries I can get that are nice and flat, shape of board that I get etc. etc. (Nothing decided yet)
Probably go with a VESC though I am a bit intimidated by the setup...
Space battery is obviously nice but I already have a good charger so don't need the BMS integrated.

My question now is, which motor do I use.
63mm motor with good torque is what I think is what I need but I cannot decide on which one.
The R-Spec from Enertion is an obvious choice but I am not certain it has the best torque I could get with a 63mm motor. It is rather short at 55mm and is rated at 2400W.
The SK3 6374 192KV is longer, should have more torque, right? Also rated slightly higher at 2750W
Alienpower motor 6374 170KV rated at 3200W

I am not interested in top speed. 20mph is fine by me, hill climbing power without straining anything is my main concern.

Could anybody, without saying "go dual drive", give me some help here.

Thanks, and have a great weekend.
WeeCh

Go for higher KV motors 230-260kv under 300kv. Lower KV in my opinion riding both don't do much. The idea that lower KV motors are better for climbing hills is false IMO.

Here I wrote a post about it more so -> https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=56375&p=1119197#p1119197

I did a build with the ADS A/T wheels, 8s, and VESC. I used an SK3 6364 and 14T/60T gearing. It climbs hills like a boss. I only weigh 150 lbs though, and the hills in my area aren't really lengthy.

http://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/the-village-build-s9-faultine-paris-195mm-sk3-6764-diyes-mount-8s-vesc-127mm-pneumatic-wheels/292

Sl33py is right that Enertion is working on a larger motor, worth looking into! Good luck!

Ah, if Enertion is working on something then I would love to hear of it.
Question then is 'how long'
I shall drop Enertion a line.
Thanks for the input guys.

Back