High Powered Motor Discussion...QS205 vs Cromotor vs Crystalyte H+55100

Bullfrog

10 kW
One day I am going to quit playing with these little toy ebike motors and get a powerful motor.

If anybody has experience with any of the motors in the subject line I would really like to hear the goods and bads you have experienced.

Just FYI, the QS 205/Cromotor have stators that are 50mm wide and the Crystalyte has a 55mm stator.

Thanks for any and all comments :).

Yeah I just fitted a 205 and the disc brake screws immediately chewed up the insulation on the motor cable when I was testing it on the bike stand. So I had to order a disc brake spacer from Ali Express to make sure it didn’t do it again.

I had to chop 6” off the cable and replace 3 blown hall sensors due to that mishap.

And I had to modify my disk brake adaptor plate so the spacer didn’t foul on it.

If anybody has the actual weights of the motors in the subject line, I would appreciate it if you would post them please.

I found the weight of the V2 and V3 Cromotor...12.2 Kg or 26.8 lbs.

But I haven't been able to find an accurate weight on a bare QS205 or the H55100 yet. I did send QS and Crystalyte a message asking for the weights of their bare motors so hopefully I'll get a response.

Also if anyone has an accurate width on the motors, that would be helpful...from what I have found, it looks like the QS is 150mm, the Cromotor is 155mm, and the Crystalyte is 135mm with additional wider width options available for the QS and the Crystalyte.

Yeah I just fitted a 205 and the disc brake screws immediately chewed up the insulation on the motor cable when I was testing it on the bike stand. So I had to order a disc brake spacer from Ali Express to make sure it didn’t do it again.

I had to chop 6” off the cable and replace 3 blown hall sensors due to that mishap.

And I had to modify my disk brake adaptor plate so the spacer didn’t foul on it.
AGS....what voltage are you running and have you had a chance to run it enough to form an opinion yet?
Thanks

I’m running it at 72 volts with a 72100 Sabvoton.

I‘m still working on the build but I have done a couple of test rides.

I have the controller set up fairly mildly at the moment, so acceleration is a bit underwhelming and I haven’t tested top speed yet, because I want to make sure the bike doesn’t fall to bits, so I have only been up to about 50mph.

I‘m waiting for some more parts to come in so I can add a couple of heat sinks for the controller and change the temperature sensor in the motor to something more useful than a KTY 83, and I’m also fitting an additional temperature sensor inside the controller. With a dual temperature gauge on the cockpit.

I need to stiffen up the front forks with an additional fork stabiliser before I’m ready for some top speed runs.

Oh and I also want to build a slimmer battery box, because I don’t like the one I made. It is too chunky.

Im happy with the standard torque plates that came with the motor. I have read that some people find them to be a sloppy fit, but mine fit nicely and I see no need to upgrade them.

Last edited:
But I haven't been able to find an accurate weight on a bare QS205 or the H55100 yet.

There's pics in my SB Cruiser thread of most of (minus the snapped off axle ends) a QS205 50H on a scale; not sure if any of the pics show the whole thing at once so you might have to add up the weights. ;)
EDIT: found the post here, says whole motor was 29.38lbs

There is also some data in other threads, like this one
EDIT, oh, the post I was looking for was linked right after those :oops:

I did send QS and Crystalyte a message asking for the weights of their bare motors so hopefully I'll get a response.

Also if anyone has an accurate width on the motors, that would be helpful...from what I have found, it looks like the QS is 150mm,
I thought I had actually measured mine at 150mm, but I don't see anything showing that; I think my own note in the post above is just from the QS specs.

There's pics in my SB Cruiser thread of most of (minus the snapped off axle ends) a QS205 50H on a scale; not sure if any of the pics show the whole thing at once so you might have to add up the weights. ;)
EDIT: found the post here, says whole motor was 29.38lbs

There is also some data in other threads, like this one
EDIT, oh, the post I was looking for was linked right after those :oops:

I thought I had actually measured mine at 150mm, but I don't see anything showing that; I think my own note in the post above is just from the QS specs.
Thanks Amberwolf...you always have great info :).

My QS205 4T(-)x 33 strand has a weight of 31lbs. 3kW rated.

My 4Tx16s Cromotor has a weight of 24 lbs and a 6000w rating. ....but you will have a hard time finding one of those.

Hubzilla is where I would look next.. or the QS260 12kW or the QS268 25kW. I got a friend who can smoke his rear tire on any roll... with his QS268 and the Fardriver 72-2400. Well over 100hp he says.

Got a response from Crystalyte...."H55100 motor weight 9kg". 9kg=19.8 lbs

Got a response from QS, they said the 205 weighs 13.4kg/29.5 lbs.

Thanks to everyone who provided data...your weights are probably more accurate than the manufacturers :).

Last edited:
I still need to try my Leaf motor on 72v but I am leaning towards the Crystalyte H55100 to try next.

9Kg/19.8 lbs is pretty light for a motor with a 55mm wide stator plus it is available with 135mm dropout width. Stealth electric bikes currently use the H55 motor so I'll probably go over to that thread and ask some questions.

Funny, that's never happened to me when I use a rim brake. Oh, I mean "large rotor" brake.

Has anyone needed to find an adapter to go from a XT90 battery plug to the ring connectors used in the plastic block that comes with a Leaf kit?

If yes, where did you buy the adapter or how did you adapt the XT90 so it could be connected to the Leaf controller?

Thanks

Funny, that's never happened to me when I use a rim brake. Oh, I mean "large rotor" brake.

Chalo (or anyone else), I need a recommendation for a good quality 24" rim please. I plan to run a 24x2.5" Maxxis Hookworm tire.

Would you suggest the Sapim 12/13 or 13/14 butted spokes? I weigh about 210 lbs ready to ride and my bike should weigh about 90 lbs when I get it finished.

Thank You

I'm using the 13/14 on the 20" radially-laced rear wheels of the heavy heavy-cargo trike SB Cruiser. I've posted details on that recently in at least a couple of threads discussing wheel builds and spokes and whatnot.

Chalo also chimed in on at least one of those discussing the specifics of thicker vs thinner vs rim, etc.

Chalo (or anyone else), I need a recommendation for a good quality 24" rim please. I plan to run a 24x2.5" Maxxis Hookworm tire.

Would you suggest the Sapim 12/13 or 13/14 butted spokes? I weigh about 210 lbs ready to ride and my bike should weigh about 90 lbs when I get it finished.

Thank You
I'm running these 24x65 double wall rims, with Hook Worm tires on a QS205 5000w motor. This setup works great. I weigh the same as you, and I'm using 10g spokes. alloy rim DW65, 24", black anodizedBlue pedal Stealth.jpg

Last edited:
the Sapim 12/13
I run sapim stainless 12g with long nipples in a Sur Ron rim. No prblem with the 12g.. even though the motor looks like it could take a 10g. I weigh in a t 104lbs and 180lbs + gear.

Back