MOVIE NITE

The single most important movie of my life! When I was a kid and it was on a LOT of Saturday afternoons, I tried and tried to figure out why he'd sneak away then fight so hard to get back. If you read the novel, it's very simple. He was helping the OTHERS escape, because they were ruining paradise. If someone kidnapped you and almost got you killed taking you to the perfect place, would YOU try to leave?

But the novel is nowhere as good as the movie. By the time they're getting the film made, WWII looms in the future. The had no idea how prophetic it was to predict that mankind was about to destroy civilization; perhaps so completely that what they've kept safe in Shangri-la could prove to be all that survives. (Contrary to opinions, James Hylton came up with that name for the novel, it is NOT an Asian legend.) Would you REALLY turn your back on mankind on the eve of such a crisis, to stay safe in Shangri-la?

So I'd love to see that 3 1/2 hour version Frank Capra talks about. (The audience would be laughing at the frenzied behavior of the Chinese riot. It IS funny, typical Hollywood of the time.) If you're not into film history, you probably won't care about the interview.

[youtube]ekEnK9Azd8I[/youtube]

[youtube]EE2VUhGDu5Y[/youtube]

Lost Horizon definitely one of the all time greats. Not like the Usual Capra movie. But every time I see it, I think "what a moron, wanting to leave there".

Capra of course, makes most people think of Its a Wonderful Life or Mr Deeds Goes to Town.

Speaking of smoking, I got introduced to heavy movies like Lost Horizons by going to the free campus film society screenings every Thursday night, starting in about 7th grade. Part of the deal was preparing for the experience of course. 8) By 9th grade, a large group thought I was a college student, since I was there every Thursday, watching really deep movies by the great European directors. We'd come out the door every time going Woah! You never saw anything like those movies at the local theater. Back then, you couldn't just see it on Netflix.

You guys are pretty awesome. Locke, D and DD. These are going on my list 4 sure. Thankyou from someone who has lived and knows alot less.

I ventured into a newone, Age of Adaline, and was pleasantly surprised. It's about a decently acted woman born 1908. Her husband works building the goldengate I think. The story was fairly original and the actors were good. Actress especially, but a surprise (to me- not knowing a dam thing about the film) by harrison ford was also well played.

I washed it down with Arthur though. Kinda a different movie journey, but the destination the same? The english guy is funny as sht, and the girl is a darling- kinda a comedy, with jennifer garner being a comedic addition.
Reminds me as I type, to watch the movie the invention of lying with her in it.
ly.jpg
arthur.png
age.jpg

nutspecial said:
:lol: I might have to come to canada RIGHT NOW so we can discuss a few things markz.

Lol, but sure, they're good funny movies, and Mr Carey is a one-of. Ever see him in Everlasting Sunshine of a Spotless Mind with Kate Winslet? Or maybe number 23? I love all his sht.

Yes yes nutspecial, if ONLY you could cross the border huh :twisted:
Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events (2004)
Fun with Dick and Jane (2005)
Bruce Almighty (2003)

Yes yes nutspecial, James Eugene Carrey, one of the great comedians of Canad-eh!

I watched a documentary flick on Netflix last night. About dam busting. Pretty good actually. I forget the name. But they go around, and spray paint cranks on the dam, then some slogan. I guess you could call it a movie.

It's kinda like when someone says "Oh, I got this super funny joke. . . ." and maybe it doesn't live up to the billing. But it is still funny. If you try to hold out for just a film worth being excited about, what will you have to compare it to?

I liked the first Ace Ventura, Dumbest, etc. But I like 'Oh Brother, Where Art thou?' better. If you don't that's your business.

[youtube]YZtgZ5fHOuU[/youtube]

[youtube]FXpRxzmawjw[/youtube]

[youtube]2qw6Hon013E[/youtube]

And yeah, 'Dam Busters' is one of the great war movies of all time. A true story, too.

But imagine if, instead of WWII Europe, it happened long, long ago.
In a galaxy far, far away. . . .

[youtube]_NMfBKrdErY[/youtube]

nutspecial said:
Not sure if I've heard of that one D.

Although Tom Cruise seems a little egotistical etc, and I don't like scientology on my breakfast cereal, his last two movies 'oblivion' and 'edge of tomorrow' have been awesome beyond compare.

+1 for "Live Die Repeat: The Edge of Tomorrow"

I first discovered this story in the amazing manga series "All you need is kill". What a story line... like nothing I've seen. It's like it was a movie script written by Joss Wedon, Produced by Christopher Nolan, and directed by clint eastwood ( You know the man can direct...).
I liked Oblivion, but would not put it into the same category as the Edge. The adaptation was very adept at using the source material without simply repeating it, and although the main character was white-washed for Tom to play it, it still worked wonderfully. What a film! I'm pretty sure this is currently my favorite movie.

Fifth Element will always be a favorite. I loved chris tucker in it, i don't care what anyone else thinks about it... that character was inventive and original.... as was the story.

Let's see... anything Studio Ghilbli... but Nausica is up there.

A great short film (if you're into anime) I found kinda by accident was "Hoshi No Koe" or Voices of a Distant Star. Check that one out.

Thanks man, you're right, it has a high rewatchability factor, well done with the story, acting, and effects. It's really pretty badass.
I got a little lion/witch/wardrobe from oblibion. Like Tom's character could be any and all of us. Like we're just living our lives, taking normal for granted, meanwhile we have been tricked about who we are and what side we're playing for.
Based on the scientology deal, I think that even could have been a bit of his intention. Although I don't really take the aliens as literal, more like extradimensional than extraterrestrial.
Anyway, I also really liked the landscaped cinematography, the art tech of the drones, crafts, 'homes'.
Imo it just seemed a bit richer.

But hells yeah, edge of tomorrow ! A really great and unique story, with alot of badass action!

And mila jovovich's (first?) - 5th element is a huge great classic with Willis. +1

markz said:
.....What no 50 shades of grey movie review.

(Sigh.) As you wish! (I'd rather be reviewing 'The Princess Bride,' obviously.)

So at this press screening, a woman got up and loudly asked "Is it too late to get my money back?" Since she didn't pay, well. . . .

I didn't pay either, luckily. About 10 days into the release it was bootlegged onto YouTube. Okay, no need to get my 10 bucks right, but what about my hour and a half? So the billing was about it being this exciting romance. The kind of thing you'd have expected late, lamented Omar Sharif to star in. I'd hope he'd turn this sleepfest down. But he certainly could have made Mr. Grey (A personality of the living dead type) more endearing. And the sex. It was supposed to be exciting, right? The girl is good looking, which makes up for some of her own lack of personality, but not entirely. She's not THAT good looking.

So this dominant S&M guy carefully asks, timidly assures, proves it's not really going to hurt/it's only make believe. . . .

So I think the plot has been covered pretty well up until now in this review, if that helps you decide to see or not see. Need I go on? The movie ends, unfinished, so I think just stopping befits. . . .

[youtube]iopcfR1vI5I[/youtube]

[youtube]atfIIDZRk9E[/youtube]

markz said:
^ I was joking :oops:

Always the excuses. Reminds me of 'Dark Star.'

Hey, if you like THX, you'll LOVE 'Dark Star.' So if you know the band Three Dog Night, yeah, picture Three Dog Night flying around in space blowing up planets they don't like. And doing it on good 'Srooms. So the smart bombs talk, even argue. "I wanna BLOW UP. . . ."

When I was a film student I felt so encouraged that these guys got THIS movie made. Makes you feel like anything is possible. These guys met at USC. John Carpenter got the chance to direct 'Halloween' thanks to this movie. The guy Pinback in the movie is cowriter Dan O'Bannon, who also made props and built sets, getting him a job on 'Star Wars' and allowing him to set the script for 'Alien' on someone's desk.

DP Douglas Knapp, plus others, on their way to varying degrees of success after this. (Sigh.)

[youtube]w9-QlxDfuWw[/youtube]

Though not really on a watch 20 times list, HELL YEAH THX 1138 ! I just wish I could see the original student film version. The version with Robert Duvall is actually a remake.

And speaking of Duvall, is anything he's in a bad movie? Lonesome Dove, and The Godfather of course, but just to name a few.. To kill a mocking bird, Mash, Apocalypse now, Joe Kidd, Tender Mercies, Assasination Tango on and on and on. But perhaps his greatest role was in The Great Santini. A recent good one, A Night In Old Mexico.

If you have Turner Channel Movies, or can snag a password from a buddy, for the next few days you can stream a mind blowing movie I'd waited 40 years to see again. One of those ones I saw while all baked at Film Society in 1970.

Called Kanal, it's the story of WWII Warsaw resistance fighters trying to escape the Nazi's through the sewers. All PTSD when they go in, they then go really crazy down there. Subtitled of course, made in the 50's. Very heavy movie. Apocalypse now of it's day.

If you want to add some must see movies to your list, and have Netflix, check out the documentary, The Story of Film. You will fall asleep trying to watch it, but you will get the list of the greatest movies of all time, stuff you can hunt down on Hulu.

Once again, not "ebikes" directly, but currently watching this on YouTub:
[youtube]iTuyA84QXKs[/youtube]

So some might find it amusing where the US Navy were... blase about this new "high speed" technology and design (watt might seem familiar to folks riding "ebikes").

:)

That leaves out that the chase of the rum runners during prohibition, where much was learned about operating swift boats.

PT's were considered something close to a failure. The WWI era torpedoes often caught fire when launched, didn't explode when they made a hit. The report that included the loss of PT 109 ended with comments of the failure of the torpedoes, which the Navy was apparently determined to use up before switching to something more effective. JFK got out of his hospital bed and went to work converting PT 59 into the first gunboat with no torpedoes. This was to become the more successful barge killer configuration.

Bulkeley's exploits in the Philippines were quite a sensation at first, with John Wayne in the morale movie 'The Were Expendable.' The dramatic conclusion of the film pointed out the problems that emerged later. The PT's would launch torpedoes, observers would ". . . .See explosions. . . ." leading to assumptions that the cheap little boats were doing expensive damage to the other side. Specifically, the attack by the two remaining PT's on the Japanese cruiser Kuma had been believed to have sank it, but the explosions proved to be the Japanese firing back at the PT's, it was actually undamaged. Most of the erratic torpedoes got lost on the way, the lone hit misfired. Even before the war ended and Japanese records confirmed this, the Navy was figuring out the PT's were not living up to the hype.

Bulkeley would in short time be teaching JFK at the PT school. As President Kennedy would eventually promote Bulkeley to Rear Admiral.

I like in the Blues Bros. when they drive through the Pier 1 Imports store and the mall. Classic movie. Love it. Watched a bit of it last night on the boob-tube.

Hehe... It was the "Old Navy" "traditional" bunch reaction to the "new tech" I thought amusing. Sorta like sailboats pulling waterskiers.
[youtube]AUiB8n99aS4[/youtube]

I'm used to sailing around Catamaran-Style in a harbour at 2-3 times the harbour speed limit. :wink: Look Ma! No engine!
(Technically only using solar power aka "wind".)

With anything new, it's only important to learn from mistakes. Yes? For the "next time". Lotsa "new things" out there that were "failures" at first.

Back