MXUS XF19R - axle has lots of resistance turning

FlamingTux

1 µW
Component : MXUS XF19R 2109 1076 1000w hub motor

The issue: axle has lots of resistance to turning in the normal motor spinning direction:
- while the motor and wheel are on bike, I can feel unusual resistance to spinning and inertia/energy slowing down much quicker than usual once I no longer push the throttle
- I believe the motor sounds a little bit noisier than usual, but no significant unusual noise
- off bike, axle held in 2 hands, it is much more difficult to spin the wheel than before. It really takes a considerable effort, so much more resistance than the standard gear hub drag

Additional pointers:
- The cassette freewheel spins fine, nothing unusual
- the only time I have ever encountered a situation like this with the normal nonelectric bike was when the axle was significantly bent in the middle

Background: the motor is fairly new, with maybe 6 - 9 rides since installed, none in rain

Research I have done on the matter below, have not seen any thread relating to this particular issue

Any ideas of what might be the cause?

Related threads:

If you're turning the axle in the direction that the wheel would be turning, then you're backdriving the motor and resistance is normal.

Component : MXUS XF19R 2109 1076 1000w hub motor

The issue: axle has lots of resistance to turning in the normal motor spinning direction:
- while the motor and wheel are on bike, I can feel unusual resistance to spinning and inertia/energy slowing down much quicker than usual once I no longer push the throttle
- I believe the motor sounds a little bit noisier than usual, but no significant unusual noise
- off bike, axle held in 2 hands, it is much more difficult to spin the wheel than before. It really takes a considerable effort, so much more resistance than the standard gear hub drag
Just to be certain: Is the motor itself operating differently than it used to?

If so, what happened between the time it worked, and the time it did not?

Regarding things that change during the life of a geared hub that can cause dramatic changes in resistance to manually turning the wheel:

--the freewheeling clutch inside between the casing and the motor can get jammed, so it no longer coasts freely when unpowered. In this event it feels the same when manually turning the wheel forwards or backwards, instead of only feeling higher resistance when turning it backwards.

--the plastic gearing inside can become damaged by heat, or by impacts (curb jumping, etc) that cause sudden gear engagement, or repeated sudden high torque.

How much power is being used with this motor? (what controller and battery, and what riding conditions and riding style are used?)

Back