My custom frame full suspension long tail dual hub cargo bike

LewTwo said:
That is PSI .... now multiply that by the area of the piston.

ah interesting will that give you the force acting on the piston somehow? I didn't know that. do you know of a shock that'll take 400lbs? Mostly they seem designed for a 200lb rider + bike so around 250lbs or so. This number isn't published so hard to nail it down.

vanturion said:
Actually, I think frk1206 is still a bit shy of what can be achieved here. To really channel the inner engineering spirit, I think he should mount a mini air-compressor with shut-off valves and in-line gauges to both front and rear air forks. That way he can dial up his suspension as needed for anticipated cargo loads. Not even joking. :thumb: 8)

PS: Bonus points for powering it off the main battery pack.

So now you see where im going with this :) I'm a big suspension nerd and feel that if the suspension can be dialed in correctly in some smart way then it would be amazing thing to have on a cargo bike (safety and comfort wise). A cargo bike that you take alone as well because its so much fun to ride.

I have literally thought of a similar setup but for v2. The biggest problem is finding a tiny enough pump - the absence of battery powered shock pumps is disappointing!

I hear ya, totally support your full-suspension efforts here. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think a highly utilitarian cargo bike with an excellent suspension system has been done yet. With what Chalo was saying earlier needing different suspension for wildly different loads - I think adjustable air shocks are the way to go and I like you're suspension link design.

For sure, I don't know if a miniature off-the-shelf air compressor capable of 300+ psi is readily available somewhere, but you might tackle the problem another way. Just design and fit a high pressure air chamber with enough volume for say 5-10 (or whatever) suspension adjustments before it needs a recharge(pump) at home base. Then you just add the necessary hard lines, flow-regulators, flexible lines, gauges, shut-off valves, one-way/check valves, and bleed valves. I'm probably missing some components, but you get the point.

Sounds pretty achievable to me and then you'd be able to make adjustments on the fly if your cargo loads change until the air pressure manifold needs refilling.

frk1206 said:
[ah interesting will that give you the force acting on the piston somehow? I didn't know that. do you know of a shock that'll take 400lbs? Mostly they seem designed for a 200lb rider + bike so around 250lbs or so. This number isn't published so hard to nail it down.
Oakland, CA ... there are some folks out there that build 'Low Riders'. Those buggies do not jump up and down with stock suspensions. The folks that build them most likely know the ins and outs of air shocks better than anyone.

vanturion said:
Sounds pretty achievable to me and then you'd be able to make adjustments on the fly if your cargo loads change until the air pressure manifold needs refilling.

Though that’ll be awesome I just realized that something that just tells you to “inflate rear shock to 275psi and front to 200” is equally useful and possibly a good v1! Now if I can find a air shock that’ll take that much weight!

Back