My electric MTB, for long commutes

Acid Mantis

1 µW
Hi everyone!

Finally I decided to upload a photo of my bike... here it is.
b-s.jpg
I went through some issues starting from flat tires and stripped axles and ending with fried controllers etc. So I decided to show my bike only when it will work as it supposed to. And it finally does (at least now... ;) ).

Let me briefly describe it...

• Specialized Demo (probably 8 ), custom chrome plated
  • Marzocchi 888 fork + front drive Crystalyte HS3540 motor (sensored + thermistor). Yes, front motor + suspension fork. Still works great after 3000 miles of offroad drive. There's a way to install those motors in that type of forks, requires some modification and usage of threaded steel inserts (aka motorcycle style ones). Fork crown is replaced with durable one made by Hope and headset is titanium "Chris King" (I was concerned about some torque issues)
  • Lyen 24 FET controller, hi-current one + CA v3 for overload control
  • Busettii 72v 18ah battery. This beast never dropped less than 77v even after 27 miles of ride (no pedalling + lots of hills)
  • Modified rear rack system. Few parts from "topeak" style rack and the rest is stainless steel hardware + titanium bolts. Balanced, so it doesn't impact the handling, though it looks scary on the photo :) + heavy duty "Raceface" seatpost, for freeride things. No bending so far.
  • Nexus 8 internal coaster brake hub + KMC chain, "fixie" style crankset - "raceface" + "velosolo" chainring.
  • SKS "Chromoplastics" fenders... yes, there's a way to install them on the suspension frame and make them work with no issues. Again, dremel is a great tool!
  • etc... feel fre to ask any questions

Anyway, if you would like to know anything else or hear more "history", feel free to ask.

Huge thanks to the entire Endless Sphere community! You are awesome!

Over 20 lbs... probably 38. Supposed to be fine because I used very durable stainless steel hardware and titanium bolts. Basically, I build the custom rack for this heavy thing. So far, over 200 miles with this battery, no big problems. The only thing is the handling, feels more like motorcycle because of weight and lot of torque...

Here ... I took some photos.

View attachment 2

View attachment 1

DSC03748.JPG

Sorry, may look a bit complicated...

Nice. I like your setup. It looks pretty clean considering the big battery and controller you have. What made you go with a front motor? How do you find commuting that long distance in bad weather? How many amps do you run to warrant that 24 fet monster controller?

The worst weather for me was riding in like -15 to -20c, plus snow. On those days I was glad my commute was only 10km each way. I'm not sure I'd be up for commuting the distance you do in my climate (southern ontario), at least during the winter, but it's nice to see people are out there doing it. What is your location?

Interesting build, most interested about the hub fitting to the front forks. More pics an details on that pls mantis.

Back