My first DIY hub drive

Hi all,
New member here. Just thought I’d drop in and say hello and show you my DIY hub drive build.
It’s a super cheap budget job, old steel frame MTB bought for £45 off FB marketplace.
Front hub kit from Amazon £180.
Hailong 13ah battery from eBay £205.
Doesn’t have a display or anything, just basic battery meter on the twist throttle.
Didn’t bother with the PAS as didn’t have a crank puller.
Really really happy with it now I got the wheel properly seated in the dropouts. Bombs along on a slight down hill at 27mph.
Got it for my work commute (7.1 miles door to door), I have a big hill 15-19 degree incline over half about half a mile, and I weigh about 82kg so needed a bit of oomph for that, have to pedal a bit to get up the worst of it, but not much effort really.
I added some accessories like a super comfy saddle, wing mirrors, lights and an odometer. Still need mudguards and wet gear.
Really happy to be part of this community!
Cheers all.
Grizz2845C1C9-28F2-4CB2-8F12-6D5223F0E89F.jpeg

Cheers ebuilder! I was surprised at how much fun I’ve been having riding it, not ridden a bicycle for over 30 years, and stopped driving motorbikes when I passed my car test about 23 years ago. Really forgot how much fun it is and how free it feels!

You will get out and ride more, no doubt. Sure beats Facebook and the couch eating junk food.

What really sucks, is running out of battery.

calab said:
You will get out and ride more, no doubt. Sure beats Facebook and the couch eating junk food.

What really sucks, is running out of battery.

Haha, yes now doubt about that!

I’m hoping my battery will give me about 20miles range with a mixture of throttle and pedals, but as long as I can get to work (around 7 miles) I can charge it up there!

Op, congrats, good looking bike, you can use your voltage or consumption (out on inline cheapo meter) to gauge/project your max distance.

Back