• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

My full Battery shows red-no power ONLY when engaged

WIN_20170422_19_47_17_Pro.jpg

I have a reassembly problem I could use a hand with

I took this bike apart then reassembled it. I bought a better conversion kit that did not fix the dropout width...rats dammit...anyway.

Here is the problem: I have a full battery (Luna Juice 14Ah rear rack mounted). When I engage the batter nothing works. I press the battery level indicator on the batty and it shows red = no power. When I press the same power level indicator (on the battery pack) off the bike it shows fully charged.

See photo on this controller. All these connections are unique so they can't be mixed up. I have the colors lined too. So I slowly disconnected each one and reassemble each (3 times now) with no change, still no power reaching the red push button on the twist throttle. Still the battery shows no power red when engaged with the bike. Off the bike I have 4 green bars.

Any Ideas? Thanks in advance for your help :)

This sounds like the battery's BMS is shutting off it's output to protect it, possibly against a load higher than it is meant to deal with (like a short circuit, or reversed power wiring).

If the controller is left disconnected at the battery wires, does the battery still shut itself off when on the bike?

If yes, then there is probably a short somewhere in the wiring from the battery connection port on the bike. You can test for that with the battery off the bike, using a multimeter on ohms or continuity, between the pins on the bike's battery port (with battery not connected to it). You should get infinite ohms, or no continuity, between + and - pins.

If no, then there is probably a short inside the controller, or it's battery wires are reversed (color doesn't necessary mean anything, as there have been entire runs of controllers/etc with black for + and red for - , or even same colors used, etc. ).

Thank you for the reply.

It is fixed..here is what was wrong:

I bought a new kit that did not fit the bike (my dropout are too narrow) . During the removal, and storage on the motor side of the wires there is a small 2 wire connection with lost the male end of a connections. This controller has extra wires that do other things (like PAS and lights I figure). So I did not notice these two loose wires before I posted.

After I made those connections, the batter acted normal and the we had our throttle powered up and the wheel spun like it was ready for spring.

I appreciate the help. It's only my 6th bike so I still have a lot to learn.

Back