My geared hub is behaving weirdly ! ( after too much water )

fredo gauvino

100 mW
:D I have been commuting using my rear-geared ampedbike on dry days all winter long :)

However, yesterday, it was warm enough to melt snow on my way back and it was all wet and salty. :eek:

I came back home thru water pudles with no absolutely problem, but the bike was all wet ( me too ) :lol:

This morning, i take the bike again, and something is wrong ! :(

The bike accelerates but as if I was constantly turning on and off the throttle at a rate of 1-2 per seconds. ? WTF ?
I had to take my car and be stuck in traffic... :twisted:

I have let the bike dry all day,
The controller and all the connections are in a sealed dry bag, so this did not get wet at all.

Only the motor and throttle.
I tried with a different throttle, with same results...

So the only thing left, is the motor... :(

I was sure that this motor could stay immerged in water !

Does this sounds like wet Hall sensors ?

Is there anything I can do, do I have to open the motor to let it dry ?

If anybody can explain me how to open up a AmpedBikes Rear GEARED motor ?
Do I need a 3 jaw gear puller tool ?
Is there any instructions on how to do this ?

Thanks in advance for any help :)

this applies to BMC motors, but i think it will help you for your eBikekit motor..

[youtube]Jg4zOmHTdW4[/youtube]
Good luck. Let us know what you find.

fredo gauvino said:
I was sure that this motor could stay immerged in water !

Does this sounds like wet Hall sensors ?

Is there anything I can do, do I have to open the motor to let it dry ?

If anybody can explain me how to open up a AmpedBikes Rear GEARED motor ?
Do I need a 3 jaw gear puller tool ?
Is there any instructions on how to do this ?

Thanks in advance for any help :)
Fredo:

I am not familiar with AmpedBikes gear motor, i quickly look at it, you cannot open this geared motor with 3 jaw puller tool, it has a screw-on cover plate. You need a special make tool, please watch the following video:
[youtube]kpBXKPdPAfY[/youtube]

Based on your information, you have sealed controller, you changed the throttle, etc... it has to be hall effect sensor inside the motor. If you are lucky, you may be able to blow dry the hall effect sensor inside the motor. Otherwise, you will have change out the hall sensor.

Ken

Thanks for the responses... :D

I feel less alone.

I will try tonight to clean the connectors, but like I said, I would be surprised that they would be dirty, since all the connectors were in the sealed bag.

Regarding the tool, aie aie aie, it looks costly ! :cry:

Does anyone have opened a AmpedBikes Rear Geared motor before ?
Am I the first human being to try on the planet ? :lol:

The tool is cheap, under $20 at my local car parts store. Mine was a smaller version of that large gear puller, but worked fine.

kfong said:
The tool is cheap, under $20 at my local car parts store. Mine was a smaller version of that large gear puller, but worked fine.
you CANNOT use 3 jaw puller tool on a screw-on cover plate motor. There are nothing to pull or push, it need to be turn. AmpedBike geared motor is a screw-on cover plate just like in the 2nd video, not the first one.

Didn't catch that, thought it was the BMC, my bad.

itselectric said:
kfong said:
you CANNOT use 3 jaw puller tool on a screw-on cover plate motor. There are nothing to pull or push, it need to be turn. AmpedBike geared motor is a screw-on cover plate just like in the 2nd video, not the first one.

Drunkskunk said:
Before opening the motor, I'd take a look at the connectors anyways. there's no such thing as completly water tight. And salt water in the connector would cause exactly that problem.

Done. Still the same problem ! :(
I tried cleaning the hall sensor connector, tried with a different controller, a different throttle, disconnected the brake switch...

The engine seems to run fine without load, but as soon as I apply the brake, even gently, it seems to lack torque on one part of a wheel revolution.
The brakes are clean, the wheel is true, so its not because it grabs at this specific place. The motor really lacks torque.
This is exactly what I experienced two days ago when riding...

Here is a short video that demonstrate the behavior of the beast :

[youtube]Vi09VQrjG6E[/youtube]

On another note, on the opening motor part, I have removed the freewheel, and it really looks "unscrewable" without the right tool...
I think im screwed ! :wink:
here are some pictures of the faces of motor without the freewheel.

GearSideFace.JPG

GearSideProfile.JPG

LeftSideFace.JPG

LeftSideProfile.JPG

I wonder where or how can i build myself a tool that could fit in the holes and enable me to unscrew the cover of the engine.

I think it is beginning to smell shipping to AmpedBikes for maintenance...

Fredo... :(

Wow.. no way to take it apart huh... glad i did not buy one of those now :p

If you are under warranty, great! if not.. i think you have to drill it open... just my guess :/
Dunno, maybe the thing just plucks off with an axle puller !

Wow ! AmpedBikes offered me a replacement motor. :)

So I just sent back the motor for Danny to have a look...

There is definitely a way to take it appart with the right tools...
But to me, not beeing able to open it has very little influence in my buying decision... :wink:

From the first to the last day of usage I was very happy with this motor, and hopefully will still be with the next one :p

Thanks AmpedBikes !!! :roll:

Fred Gauvin

fredo gauvino said:
Wow ! AmpedBikes offered me a replacement motor. :)

So I just sent back the motor for Danny to have a look...

There is definitely a way to take it appart with the right tools...
But to me, not beeing able to open it has very little influence in my buying decision... :wink:

From the first to the last day of usage I was very happy with this motor, and hopefully will still be with the next one :p

Thanks AmpedBikes !!! :roll:

Fred Gauvin
Fred:
I am glad that you work out with AmpedBikes. May I ask what is top speed on that kit?

Ken

Yes ! you may !!!
:)

Ok ! :lol:

With SLA 12V x 3 = 36 Volts, it was about 31-33 km/h ( ~20 mph ) :?
With SLA 12V x 4 = 48 Volts ( more like 52V ), it was about 43-44 km/h ( 27 mph ) :p
With LiPos 12S = 44.4 Volts ( more like 49.8V ), it was about 41-42 km/h ( 26 mph ) 8)

All those speed are on flat, no wind, with moderate pedaling. Pedaling improves acceleration, but not that much top speed.
I also have a double suspension mountain bike with Maxxis Hookworm, which may drag a lot. Results may vary.

At this speed, I can still pedal with 44 / 11 gearing :)
So its still a bicycle and not a motorcycle.

SLA were heavy and becamed weak in weeks. :x
LiPos are light, and amazingly powerful. :shock:

I really like the motor... but I replaced the original controller and thumb throttle with a Lyen's 9 FET and half twist throttle... Which are better. :mrgreen:

Back