500w Leaf Geared Hub, how much can it take?

TlfT

100 µW
I've been riding bikes forever, but know zilch about motors.

I want to put a hub motor on an old dirtjumper and generally just mess around local spots. I am more focused on getting up hills and having some zip, rather than holding a solid top speed for miles.

How much can this little 3.55kg 52v 500W geared hub motor from leaf take? Can I run a 72v battery, controller and statoraid to get a little more juice?

Should I just pony up and get the 4kg hub motor from GRIN?

I like the idea of having the bike drivetrain separate from the motor, but want the lightest rear hub I can get away with. I am planning on building into a 24" rim.

Thank You!

Last edited:
Unfortunately a geared hub is not a good choice for offroad hills. Statorade doesn't work on a geared hub, so there's no way to shed heat like with a direct drive hub, so you'll cook the motor is a few climbs. Probably ok for gentle rolling hills, but I'd make sure to have a temp sensor for any motor ridden in hilly areas.

Yeah, that 4kg grin direct drive will easily push 2-3x the power.
24" rim will cause it to produce more torque also..

That leafbike geared hub doesn't look great over all.. for a geared motor, i think your best choice would be the Shengyi SX2.. but for your power demands, DD is better!

I want to put a hub motor on an old dirtjumper and generally just mess around local spots. I am more focused on getting up hills and having some zip, rather than holding a solid top speed for miles.

How much can this little 3.55kg 52v 500W geared hub motor from leaf take? Can I run a 72v battery, controller and statoraid to get a little more juice?

Geared hubs are limited by a few things:
--clutch, if they are internally freewheeling (most are). Shock loads are bad for them, and torque exceeding their design limits can slip it or just plain break it. You can lock the clutch by welding it, but then you have a higher drag on the wheel when unpowered.
--plastic of the gears (warm them up and it softens, then shears them off. Shock loads can break them too. You can use metal planetary gears instead (if you can find them or make them) but they will wear the axle (sun) gear and the shell (ring) gear faster, and will be a lot noisier.
--they are multiple thermal layers, so things like statoraid only help for a momentary instantaneous peak power--the heat will be pulled out of the stator into the magnets and rotor, but then it has another airgap and the external motor shell to get thru. Oil cooling might help, but it's messy and will almost certainly be able to get out thru the axle bearings, so you'll have to add some way to top it off.

But a geared hub will have (for the same size motor, controller, and battery) greater torque at lower wheel speeds than a DD hub because it will spin faster (same reason a middrive can usually be smaller for same power). A DD hub will need higher current to do that, so the battery and controller have to be better (which usually means bigger).

If you go to the ebikes.ca motor simulator, you can play around with different systems under your specific riding conditions and see what it will take to do what you want, power-wise, without melting the motor, etc.

Should I just pony up and get the 4kg hub motor from GRIN?
Which specific motor are you looking at?

The GMAC (grin geared hub that can do 1000w easily enough, and peaks of double that, IIRC) might work, but I'll warn you now that it is VERY noisy in smaller wheels. At lower motor RPMs its' not so bad, but you get that thing up to 250-300RPM+ under load and it's like a kitchen blender. The one I have in a 20" wheel on the SB Cruiser trike is great for it's power vs size, but damn it's more than annoyingly loud even at just 15mph, and 20mph that I cruise at is...well, I took it off the trike yesterday to put a silent DD hub back on there. :/ (not just because of the noise, but that's a big reason).

I like the idea of having the bike drivetrain separate from the motor, but want the lightest rear hub I can get away with. I am planning on building into a 24" rim.
To truly have the pedal drivetrain separate from the motor, you'd have to use FWD for the motor. Otherwise they both go thru the same wheel. FWD is probably not the best choice for hills and loose-dirt terrain; there's conditions that can cause loss of control due to loss of traction.

RWD means your pedal forces are going to go thru the motor shell, and not all of them are very strong--people have broken the cassette or freewheel threads right out of the cover. It's less of a problem with cassettes that have an outer axle bearing, but still happens. I had a Fusin geared hub's cassette bearings just plain disintegrate and grind up the insides of the freehub, and they weren't even being loaded. (should be pics in the review thread, if you're curious).

Which specific motor are you looking at?

I was looking at the direct drive all axle.

The GMAC you mentioned definitely blows the doors off the geared leaf I was looking at.

Thank You!

It does seem to be a powerful motor, it accelerates my massive SB Cruiser trike quickly enough driven by the Phaserunner6 using the default Grin properties for that controller and motor...but remember it will act like a direct drive motor with higher torque...both in traction and in unpowered drag, because of the gearing. (but it also has fairly awesome regen braking if you are using a variable braking controller like the PR--an on/off braking controller will probably be bad for the gears at any really useful braking current).

it has no clutch/freewheel inside, so the gearing and motor are always engaged. You can have your controller send a "freewheeling current" to the motor all the time even when not actually driving it to reduce or eliminate the drag.

You can play wiht the Grin simulator using the PR and the GMAC to see what that combination would do for you under your specific riding conditions, hills, etc.

I was really curious about this and the 1000w and 1500w single speeds for rear brompton use .

Neptronix has a video on the 1500w.

He says in here the stock controller isn't good and someone on Reddit says similar, wonder what works well

Your input on the 1500w? Did you try the 1000w also. Seems to be the only ones that fit a brompton rear hub, altho may be need to be custom laced for the 16x1.35 rim

Back