My New Halls Aren't Working :(

Metallover

10 kW
I just received ten 480-1999-ND Honeywell "Sensor SS Hall Effect Bipolar" SS41 hall sensors from digikey. link

Datasheets SS40 Series
Product Photos TO-92 Pkg (Short Body)
Product Training Modules Magnetic Sensors
Standard Package 1,000
Category Sensors, Transducers
Family Magnetic - Hall Effect, Digital Switch, Linear, Compass (ICs)
Series SS41
Sensing Range 150G Trip, -140G Release
Type Bipolar Latch
Voltage - Supply 4.5 V ~ 24 V
Current - Supply 15mA
Current - Output (Max) 20mA
Output Type Digital, Open Collector
Features -
Operating Temperature -40°C ~ 85°C
Package / Case TO-92-3 (Short Body)
Packaging Bulk
Supplier Device Package Radial Lead
Catalog Page 2735 (US2011 Interactive)
2735 (US2011 PDF)
Other Names 480-1999

I installed one to replace my blown sensor, and put everything back together. When I tested it out, I got some ugly sounds and sights from the motor. I tested the halls with everything plugged in,, Insert the black lead into the black wire and the red lead into each of the hall's third wire's port. Then I slowly turned the motor and looked at the voltage.

The original two sensors function perfectly fine. Voltage switches from 0V to 5V as I turn the motor. The new sensor does not; It stays at 5.1V when I turn the motor. :(

I thought maybe I had damaged the sensor in some way when I installed it, so I tore everything up again and replaced my new sensor with another new sensor. :eek:

The same problem persists. 5.1V all the time. :(

Did I get the wrong sensors? Can someone link me to the right sensors if I did? :|

I noticed my sensors say "032" Instead of "028" as seen in this thread.. That's the problem??

DSCN0621.jpg

DSCN0622.jpg

(joints suck but they are tested & good)
DSCN0637.jpg

Hi, the ones I use are Honeywell SS411A, I suggest that you test one of yours before you connect it, apply 5 volts DC to the positive and negative, and connect a multimeter DC voltage range between the third wire and the positive, then get a magnet and pass it across the sensor alternating between north and south poles of the magnet. You should see approx. 5v and 0v as you do this. Did you heat sink the wires when you soldered them? excessive heat will destroy them.

I will try testing one to see if they are right, although I might need some pull-up resistors?

And I did not sink the leads when I soldered them.. I don't think I heated the part much, but I'll sink the leads when I install a new one for sure!

No insulation on the legs, could they be shorting? Looks like all they touch is epoxy,,,

I double checked for shorts,,, and I figured out the problem!!

I was testing individual halls, and realized I had the wiring wrong during my test. I had it "-+s" but it was supposed to be "+-s"!

So I thought I had it all figured out, but I looked at my motor and I had it right, "+-s"

Then I found the real problem! I tested all three halls and one didn't work, and I assumed it was the one I replaced.

BUT! The hall wires are all switched around color-wise to work with my motor/controller,, The one hall that never worked was actually the third hall! My replaced hall sensor had worked the whole time!

Just got the second hall in,, and my hub is alive!!! :D :D

I appreciate all the help guys! Thanks! :D

Back