My new Mid-Drive (BBS02) Setup

mmosqueda

1 mW
Just built. 750w BBS02 with a 48v 20ah triangle battery. Full suspension Giant Anthem.

Attachments

• Med E-Bike.JPG
    Med E-Bike.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 4,449
I like it. Plz report back how does full suspension work with BBS02. Will there be any chain drops, skips etc? Any pedal jerking under your feet?

So I finally got to put a few miles on this thing. It's awesome! No chain jumping off, it climbs up hills like nothing and it is super quiet. One thing that is a disappointment is the display. I got the C963, it looks awesome, but it only has 3 PAS modes and it is reading in KPH not MPH. I got into the menu settings, but there is no options to change it. In any case I hooked up my garmin and it showed me on the flats doing about 28 with throttle only. If anyone knows how to change it from KPH to MPH I would love that info. Hopefully this weekend I can see how far I can go on a charge with this 20ah battery.

I'm a big guy at 225lb and this thing has no problem pulling my fat around. It climbs way better than my old amped bikes geared hub motor on 48v 25amp controller. I'm surprised how silent this thing is. I can't hear it at all. So far the longest I have ridden it is 10 miles and the battery meter didn't move. Showed full battery still and the best part I was on the highest PAS level and was full throttle the majority of the time.

To enter the advanced menu, enter the basic menu and press hold down the +/- at the same time and press the power button 8 times.

Should be able to change levels and kmh/mph whilst in there.

The build was pretty basic, no real issues. The one thing that I would suggest is buying a few spacers for the screws that mount the motor to the plate that holds the motor in place. There was a bit of a gap and I had to use washers to fill the space. Other than that, the kit was simple to install with the proper bottom bracket tools.

Just put another 30 miles on it (15 each way). Plugged in after 15 but the battery just showed 1 bar down.

I will try to get in the menu and press the power button 8 times. Hopefully that does the trick. I'll let you guys know. Also was thinking about putting some street tires on this thing for commuting. I have a set of the huge hookworms, but they make the bike really heavy. Any suggestions on something that is lighter and puncture proof?

By far one of the best tires on the market.

http://www.schwalbetires.com/node/943

My commute is 40 miles a day on a Fuji Reveal 3.0 running a BBS02 like yours.. Before these tires I would average a flat a month. Now I get 3 or 4 a year traveling about 5,500 miles.

So I was looking at the schwalbe tires, ended up installing a set of hookworms. A bit heavier than the marathons (okay a lot heavier), but makes the ride amazing. Grip is like crazy and rolls for days. Shouldn't have to worry about flats anymore.

Attachments

• IMG_4656.JPG
    IMG_4656.JPG
    250.5 KB · Views: 3,728
Slime tubes might help too; can't say for sure, but I've never had a flat with them in limited <500 miles use.

Awesome looking rig. What size frame is that Giant? Also, what width are the hookworm tryes you have fitted? I live in the UK too and im going to build something very similar to your setup to commute to work on. :D

When I first started commuting I used the Maxxis tires as well. My commute has a mix of road and dirt. They were very nice until I began to have flats. Their single ply casing cannot take the punishment of all of the garbage on the roads. Even with Slime tubes. The other downside is the volume of air required when making a repair. You will need many cartridges and/or a very large pump. Fixing flats really suck.

I'm using the Kenda downhill tubes. They are pretty thick and I haven't had any issues with them at all. The tire is really wide 2.5", a bit of overkill but they do change the ride quality completely. Pretty heavy but rolls for days once you get going. The bike is a large and I bought the 750w kit and 48v 20 ah triangle battery from aliexpress. I was a bit worried about buying them from the site, but everything was shipped in less than a week an a half with no issues. Plus I got everything delivered for under $1,000. It was a good deal. If I start getting flats, I plan on switching to marathons or something that is a bit lighter.

Forgot to ask. On my display C963. I still can't change from KPH to MPH. I got into the sub menu, tried hitting the power 8 times and nothing. I read a few different things, but so far the only one that I could see that could be programed without a cable & computer is the C961. Does anyone know how to program this display. Right now I just have 2 PAS levels and it is reading in KPH and not MPH.

mmosqueda said:
Forgot to ask. On my display C963. I still can't change from KPH to MPH. I got into the sub menu, tried hitting the power 8 times and nothing. I read a few different things, but so far the only one that I could see that could be programed without a cable & computer is the C961. Does anyone know how to program this display. Right now I just have 2 PAS levels and it is reading in KPH and not MPH.

C963 only does KPH I believe. Works for me as im in Canada, but I never saw a way to set it to MPH in any settings, including using the pc and cable. I was able to better setup my BBS02 controller with the cable but it does nothing to change the display.

I think you can set the wheel size to 18" and the speed in KPH with be pretty close to actually being MPH if you have a 26" tire, so just pretend it says MPH and the reading should be pretty close, screws up your odometer though, best solution is a new display.

Yea, I read the few manuals I could find online, but nothing helped. I guess swapping it out for the C961 is the way to go. I really like this display though since the buttons are integrated, may have to get use to the KPH. The 18" idea seems interesting, may have to try that on my way home tonight. The battery bag came with my battery (triangle battery). It's okay. The stitching seems to be holding up, but I wouldn't expect it to last over a year or so. I've had a Ibera Bicycle Triangle Frame Bag and it was much better build.

Another question. The nut and lock nut on the bottom bracket (the one that holds everything on the bottom bracket) keeps coming loose. I notice a bit of flex in the crank under throttle, then I stop and have to tighten the thing down again. Any solution to this? I thought the lock nut was the solution, but some how they both keep coming loose.

Attachments

• Resized.jpg
    Resized.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 3,499
mmosqueda said:
Another question. The nut and lock nut on the bottom bracket (the one that holds everything on the bottom bracket) keeps coming loose. I notice a bit of flex in the crank under throttle, then I stop and have to tighten the thing down again. Any solution to this? I thought the lock nut was the solution, but some how they both keep coming loose.

I had same probles until I used big ass plumber wrench to tighten both nuts to 40Nm. That meant i had to use my full strenth with 20 inch wrench. After that no problems :mrgreen:

Back