My Razor EcoSmart Metro Scooter Thread

Soldout

1 mW
Hi, my name is Josh and I found this place searching for reviews and any information really about the Razor scooter. The scooter was purchased on 11/29/14 as a Christmas present for myself. I bought the scooter from http://www.scootercatalog.com/ and this was the best price I could find from anywhere that had them in stock which was very few. Through my research I found out that at one point Walmart, Target and maybe ToysRUS sold this scooter in their stores, all stores stop selling them around 2012/2013. It seems strange why you cant find something like this in stores anymore, for the price I would have thought that it wouldn't have a problem selling these in stores.

Maybe 8 years ago I purchased a 300 watt Schwinn scooter from Walmart and retuned in 2 weeks later due to a failing XLR charging port. I now own 3 street legal gas powered scooters a 2009 50cc Honda Metro, 2009 125cc Kymco Agility, and a 2012 Suzuki Burgman 400. The Razor is going to be my toy project over the winter and into next year where I eventually want to turn it into a legit form of transportation. I also have a complete rolling GoPed that I just need to purchase a motor for that I need to finish at some point.

I started this thread to document the scooter, the eventual build and to ask questions. Like I said I don't have the scooter yet but when it arrive I plan on assembling it and parking it until Christmas day. If there are any issues with missing pieces or damaged parts Ill have time to work them out before Christmas. Until then Im just looking around, trying to learn some things and really excited to get my new scooter.

Thanks.

http://www.razor.com/products/electric-scooters/ecosmart-metro/
http://www.scootercatalog.com/ecosmart-metro-razor-electric-scooter.html

Its here!!!

Some initial thoughts of the scooter so far....Very easy to assemble for me less then 15 minutes. Not a toy! Build quality seems to be very sturdy and could hold up to some light off road riding like gravel bike trails or in the grass. Can support and move a 220lb rider. Very heavy, seems like it weighs twice as much as it looks like it should. These are not scooters that have been sitting around for years waiting to be sold, mine was made in October, 2014 Factory Fresh! Scooter was shipped double boxed and there was almost no damage to any of the boxes from shipping. Rear brake feels very inadequate.

Some things I have planned already are a Bike Computer, volt/amp meter, new seat, keyed switch, Lipo batteries, full grip tape deck, plastidip the wheels and a few other pieces. Things I would like to do but don't know if its possible... front suspension fork, lighter wheels, hydro disc brakes, aluminum frame.

I look forward to riding this around and modifying it. Let me know what you guys think and if you have and questions or comments. Thanks

This is a different model that appears to use the same motor, a quick scan might be helpful.

https://www.electricbike.com/2014-ezip-trailz-lithium/

eZip16.png

emmetbrown said:
Congrats, but no Frontbrake?

No, but that's why I want to upgrade to hydro disc brakes both front and rear. Any good places to look?

emmetbrown said:
Soldout said:
emmetbrown said:
Congrats, but no Frontbrake?

No, but that's why I want to upgrade to hydro disc brakes both front and rear. Any good places to look?

Then you'll need at minimum a new fork and a new wheel or hub for the front upgrade.

I found this thread from Google searching for a 16 bike wheel disc brake. http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=60565

So gathering the info from that thread I will need to purchase new rims and hub and somehow calculate the spoke length and have them cut and threaded.

I also found this on Ebay but I don't understand where it goes on the wheel. I don't see and threads on the axle for it to screw onto.

Disc brake adapter http://www.ebay.com/itm/E-bike-double-hub-nut-ISO-44mm-thread-Disc-brake-rotor-adaptor-mount-left-Alum-/281518056360?pt=US_Chainrings_BMX_Sprockets&hash=item418bc8a3a8

I got to take my scooter out for a test ride around the neighborhood on Christmas and the next day after the GF took it for a ride and now she really wants one too, so maybe I'll have 2 Razor Ecosmart scooters eventually.

Im very impressed with the stock out of the box performance. I think if I could double the range it would be perfect for what I need it for. I think for right now I can deal with the 18 mph top speed, I am more interested in distance then top speed.

The recommended tire pressure is 40psi and with no suspension and tiny wheels the ride is a little bit rough and bumpy at times. I want to also add a seat post shock as one of my first changes. I have a Cateye Strada bike computer coming in the mail soon.

So I have had the scooter for about a month and its been great. I added a new seat, handle bar bag, lock and bike computer. So far I have put on over 40miles and I am very impressed with the out of box speed and range for 3 SLA batteries. I have found a replacement for the SLA batteries here and plan on purchasing several to replace the heavy SLA batteries the scooter came with. http://www.electric-bike-kit.com/12v-lithium-lifepo4-replacement.aspx

The Razor sticker was starting to peel on the edges so I replaced it with some bright neon green grip tape.

So far Ive got over 70 miles on my scooter now and its a lot of fun riding it around. I use it to go to the car parts store, scrap aluminum cans at the beer store, drop packages off at the post office. Once it gets a little nicer I want to take it on some bike trails.

The only thing I dont like is that the kick stand is really close to the ground and it catches on curbs and going over grass sometimes. I had to tighten it had gotten lose after I hit something with it.

m6c2Pdw.jpg

Hey, whats up guys. I have been really enjoying the scooter and I think my GF is going to buying one of her own soon. I have over 170 miles on my scooter now, its been great with no problems to report. I have added some more farkle to my ride including: Grip Puppies to the handle bars, Air Zounds horn, Bright Eyes 1200 lumen bike light and red blinky light for my seat post. Lately I have found that riding at night is so enjoyable. I go out and do urban exploration on my scooter and its so fun to go riding around through the grass, fields and parks, there are no rules really when you ride a electric scooter so being able to go from the street > sidewalks> grass>trails is amazing. I have been able to ride for about 10.5miles before the batteries run out of juice. The only thing i wish it had was a more power to pull me up really steep hills but for now I dont mind getting off and walking it up them.

The other week I rode to the beer store to pick up some drinks for my GF and this old retired guy stopped me in the parking lot ajd was asking me all these questions about it and taking pictures of me on, he said hes going to build a car that car drive in the water like a boat and get crazy good gas milage and be very affordable because you build it yourself, hahaha yeah well see about that one.

x9ps7Swl.jpg

z4DxMJdl.jpg

gzJwI8wl.jpg

rigKH5Cl.jpg

6LVvkqfl.jpg

F4vwdI4l.jpg

I just bought a Fastscooters controller and full throttle with keyed switch. Currently have 296 miles, I repair computers and printers in the field and typically drive 200 miles a day and often times have boxes of old broken printer and computer parts I need to return. There is a place about 3 mile round trip that I can ship both UPS and Fedex returns. After work I print all my return labels, box up my parts and pile everything onto my Razor. I expense the 3 or so miles and my time to return the parts on my time card. I cant imagine it costs me more then 1 or 2 cents worth of electricity plus to ride there and back.

Y0NLvgh.jpg

Not bad may I suggest using lithium ?, I have a heavily modded razor e300 running a unite 500w motor and I have a range of 15 miles + on the flat and I've climbed 1000ft mountain with ease I've never got the pack down past 1/2 empty, my next step is a 60v turbo boost circuit. Top out at 20mph+ on 4inch wheels :) forgot to add iam using a diy 18650 pack 10s9p

i'm actually looking to pick one of these up. but there is this other pne that also looks great.
http://www.amazon.com/UberScoot-1000w-Electric-Scooter-Powerboards/dp/B00A1ELLNK/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1444800977&sr=1-1&keywords=uberscoot

its about 150 bucks more. but comes with a key switch. foldable. and 2x more power.

is it easy to take out the battery assembly? i plan to swap it with my diy 18650 battery pack. thanks.

Hi clockwork I had a similar scooter I scrapped for the motor for my e300 it was very heavy poor ground clearance and the handlebar folding mechanism can feel like its wobbling when u ride it but it was heavily abused, the weight issue will be helped with your lilo pack but the handlebars I would lock out (nut and bolt it in one position)

Back