My Razor Ecosmart Metro Mod Thread

birdpriest

1 µW
Hi all!

I’m brand new to Endless Sphere so let this serve as both my introductory post and my thread on what brought me to y’alls lovely forum in the first place - my new Razor Ecosmart Metro scooter, and the whack of upgrades and mods I’ve got planned for it!

I’m a 30-year-old artist and amateur electronics tinkerer. I work with an inventor developing power-assist mobility solutions for manual wheelchair users, a world I sort of fell into about 10 years ago when I became paraplegic. Fast forward to late last year, when I received my first mechanical (non-electric) exoskeleton system, which allows me to stand and walk with forearm crutches and about 15lbs of hardware. I still have no control over my lower body BUT I look like a cyborg when I wear the thing so that’s a definite bonus. Anyway one major downside is that it’s hugely energy intensive, very hot in non-winter weather, and much slower than normal-people walking, which is where this scooter comes into play. My employer and I are compensating for my lack of balance by adding custom-made training wheels, and a go kart seat instead of the bike saddle for stability. Those parts aren’t so tough... It’s the electrics that I need help with. My plans are as follows:

- Replace stock SLA 3x12V batteries with 1x36V lithium battery + 1x36V backup battery for extended mileage. Simple on/off toggle switches on handlebar “control panel” will control which battery is providing power.
- LED battery level indicators from the original lithium battery cases will be mounted onto my control panel to provide ability to check batt. level.
- Remove on/off rocker switch from side of battery well, patch up hole, replace with keyed ignition in handlebar control panel (CP).
- Each lithium battery will have a 30A in-line blade fuse in holder, same type as comes with scooter.
- I need the ability to govern speed, as this scooter will be used like a mobility scooter indoors & outdoors, and I’d like very much not to hit anything, so I bought a 500W 36V brushless DC motor PWM controller off eBay that I intend to wire into the system and install in handlebar CP. This will have a rotary potentiometer able to go from 10-100% speed, as well as a motor polarity reversal switch to allow the scooter to operate in reverse, another necessity. A liiiiittle sketchy on how to wire this whole setup so this is definitely something I’d love input on.
- I’d like to install LED turn signals so if anyone has input on a nice clean way to do that (and where exactly to put them), I’m all ears. A possible location could be on the steel framing of my “training wheels”, which will stick out about 8” on each side at the rear of the scooter deck.

My biggest priorities here are safety, mileage (the original 40-minute runtime on the SLA batteries was a major issue for me but luckily I have these two sets of lithium batteries kicking around so that’s taken care of), and a stable electrical system that’s easy for me to troubleshoot and maintain. I’m making this post not only to chronicle my progress with this build, as I think it’ll be really neat if/when it works out as far as being an alternative to a traditional mobility scooter; I’m also hoping to get advice and assistance from forum members experienced with scooter/e-device modifications and wiring, as there’s one thing I’m totally sure of with this project: I’m no expert! I’m not afraid to ask for help, so while I wait for all my parts to come in from eBay, I figured I’d get this rolling and see what turns up. Anyway thank y’all very much for reading and I really appreciate any and all feedback, advice, warnings, goldfish, etc. you have to offer.

Happy trails!

quinto

Very cool. One thing I have learned is that SLA have no "limits" on amperage out since no BMS. You just get what the chemistry can provide. You might want to double check your Lith amperage limits match up with your demands or the scooter could just shut off.

My familiarity is with GoPed parts which has a hall throttle that is 1-4V and a switch on top. You could wire that switch to be forward/reverse and should function. But there is a lot of options on amazon.

ESR_RSE said:
Very cool. One thing I have learned is that SLA have no "limits" on amperage out since no BMS. You just get what the chemistry can provide. You might want to double check your Lith amperage limits match up with your demands or the scooter could just shut off.

Sorry to be basic, but how would I check those amperage limits? Thanks so much for taking the time to respond by 3 way!

Also theoretically would I be able to just wire in any single-throw switch, like a DPST switch, for the polarity reversal?

I think you have a lot of options regarding how you want to wire the reverse. Do you have a model number or any link for the battery you are looking at? The current rating is where you might run into trouble like I have on some LithIon batteries. To keep them from catching on fire the BMS cuts off the power.
Those hoverboards do not have a BMS and that is why they sometimes catch on fire.

ESR_RSE said:
Do you have a model number or any link for the battery you are looking at? The current rating is where you might run into trouble like I have on some LithIon batteries.

Sorry it’s been a while - got sidetracked working on some other projects, and I’m still waiting on my training wheels to finish being welded so I wasn’t in a huge hurry to finish wiring up my mods for this thing. However my boss is almost done now so I’m getting back on track!

I don’t have a data sheet for the 36V lithiums I’m using at the mo, but I did happen to find this 36V lith pack and was wondering if you’d take a peek at it for me! I’d certainly appreciate any and all input. In another listing they’ve sold over 110 of these and it’s gotten a 4.9/5 rating so I figured it was worth looking into given the price.

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/4000752984903.html?spm=a2g0n.detail.0.0.3d6ex4GDx4GDSQ&gps-id=platformRecommendH5&scm=1007.18499.130806.0&scm_id=1007.18499.130806.0&scm-url=1007.18499.130806.0&pvid=7dde5ee9-f068-413a-b123-f65c62ff28b3&_t=gps-id:platformRecommendH5,scm-url:1007.18499.130806.0,pvid:7dde5ee9-f068-413a-b123-f65c62ff28b3,tpp_buckets:668%230%23131923%239_668%23808%234093%23723_668%23888%233325%232_668%232846%238111%23465_668%232717%237563%23585

Thanks!!

Back