My review of the 2013 ZERO FX and S !!!

Doctorbass

100 GW
---------- DOCTORBASS review of the new 2013 ZERO FX and S model: ----------

Yesterday I went to our nearest Zero dealer at Chateau Richer ( about 50km from home) to visit my friend Dave, the owner of Univers Traction Sport to try the two recently arrived ZERO 2013 FX and S models. This was another great reason to enjoy my DS 2011 for another great ride =)

I have read a lot of review on the 2013 and a lot of comments but yesterday was for me the time to try these two model wich are my favorite!!

I was really curious to test the FX after I have read the impression of Luke ( Liveforphysics).

The FX I have tried have the 44hp drive train and the S model had the 54hp.

I first tried the FX. Dave, the dealer said that they don’t let anybody to try it since it might be dangerous for someone not too familiar with that kind of beast.

I confirm !.. The FX is really quick and brutal acceleration and sustain it up to about 125km/h!
My main conclusion is that it is like the TESLA Roadster of the zero motorcycle!.. when I tried the Tesla I tasted that great acceleration and was really impressed. That kind of acceleration became for me the reference for comparison. Now I can say the FX is as quick as the TELSA Roadster!... Wheelie very too easy and the control of these wheelie is very smooth and easy!.

I also noticed that compared to the 2011 zero, the new 2013 motor have this little coging you can feel at very low speed when moving the bike manually with your foots.

Once you turn the throttle a little bit, you can hear a kind of High frequency noise coming from the motor just like a PWM with noise and you still hear it 1-2 second after the motor stop runing. It’s like the sevcon controller they use is working like that.. or maybe it’s the encoder but I thing encoder don’t make noise at all.. That sound is really low volume and you only can hear it when moving about 0-10kmh than the rest of all other noise come over that.

The S model I tried was the one with the beautiful yellow body. I was immediately surprised by the lower height the seat is! I did not tried the 2012 yet but I can say that compare to the S 2011, the seat is considerably lower heat. It was just perfect for me and I measure 5’10’’

What surprised me on the S model is the powerband and how comfortable we feel. The acceleration is not as brutal as for the FX since the weight of the Zero S is like more than 100 pounds heavier but it was still impressive to taste that acceleration during wide spead range!.. at 150km/h you feel you still have nearly the same acceleration than at 50. The S is 10 more hp but over 100 more pounds. With proper manouvers we could easy lift the front wheel I think but I did not tried.
The throttle sensivity is way better than on the 2011! wich is an improovement factor that many will appreciate!

I know some guys installed a Sevcon size 6 controller on their 2013!! Oh man!! These 2013 should become a monster with these!!

The stock controller are sevcon gen 4 size 4 ( 420A phase current) and the size 6 are 660A !! The battery are 28s and same cell voltage as lipo.

So the 2011 are 14s, the 2012 raised to 20s and now the 2013 are 28s.

Well if I had to choose between the S and the FX model the choice would be definitively hard! The look the FX have is just like these motorcycles that James Bond had in the 80’ movie during hot pursuit! The FX is very quick but for long ride I don’t feel it would be confortable enough for me. I don’t feel very familiar with very wide handlebar like motocross have for long ride but it’s my personal choice as well.

I was a bit anxious to feel disappointed about my 2011 DS after trying these new 2013 with the new brushless motor and I can say YES the power they have is NOT comparable with the 2011 with the Agni.. oh not !! but we have to agree that the 2011 is two generation behind !!... and yes.. i still like my 2011 :lol:

Now the temptation to finish the upgrade to 84V on my DS raised a bit ! and also maybe to upgrade to the new great impressive 54hp brushless motor too!.. a 2400$ investment for the 54hp brushless and sevcon size 6 !

Even if you have the ocasion to try the 2013 , go ahead!!.. you will a have no doubt that these can compete easy with the gassers !

Doc

Yeah, the Sevcons make a weird, almost water rushing noise even if you're going like, 1 km/h. Bzzzshhwwwooooooooosh. :lol: Bzzzzsshwooooooooooooooooosssh.

Glad you liked the bikes :D

Hey Doc

I don't know if I can go to château Richer from your house whit my ebike...

Black Arrow

I got to ride the S and it was a treat. It really made me realize that 54 hp is all you ever need with electric motor torque. It felt like riding a 1200 because of the torque. The only reason I ride a big displacement bike is because of the wideband torque that's always available especially for a cornering situation. The Zero S makes you realize it's all for nothing. The motorcycle is honestly fast, no excuses.

to be 100% honest and to have my casual motorcycle hat on, I did get to try the XU, and it's way better than I figured a practical commuter would ever be. However, I found the brakes to be really spongy, not sure if this is representative of most of the bikes, but if I really had to pick out something that I would want to upgrade it would be the front brakes. Otherwise, I can easily imagine riding that thing for years and years of maintenance-free bliss. It's just a matter of saving up the pennies now, and I'm getting there!

Hello,
i tried to calculate the 28s Battery with the EIG NMC cells (20AH and 3,65 V) but i does not fit to the capacity numbers on ZERO's homepage. Are they using different cells or maybe 'm calculating wrong?
The EIG cell is in the moment one of the best cells for this kind of application in my opinion. Unfortunately nearly impossible to source somewhere in small numbers. I would be happy to be able to use this cells (best would be the 40AH cell) for my planned project.

mj2412 said:
Hello,
i tried to calculate the 28s Battery with the EIG NMC cells (20AH and 3,65 V) but i does not fit to the capacity numbers on ZERO's homepage. Are they using different cells or maybe 'm calculating wrong?
The EIG cell is in the moment one of the best cells for this kind of application in my opinion. Unfortunately nearly impossible to source somewhere in small numbers. I would be happy to be able to use this cells (best would be the 40AH cell) for my planned project.

ON the 2013 it's not EIG cells apparently.Only on the 2012

The 2013 cells are higher energy and power density

Doc

Great review, thanks for posting it Doc!

-JD

HumboldtRc said:
Where can I buy one of the new 54hp brushless motors, and a sevcon size 6, for $2400...???! That would be a great deal for that amount of power!

Contact any Zero dealer they have should have the part number and price

Doc

Hi Doc,
I have a 2011 Zero "S", are you saying the 54hp brush-less motor, and the Sevcon size 6, is a straight bolt in job on the 2011?

No programming needed?

If it is I'll call my local dealer in Toronto.

Pierre

Hinse said:
Hi Doc,
I have a 2011 Zero "S", are you saying the 54hp brush-less motor, and the Sevcon size 6, is a straight bolt in job on the 2011?

No programming needed?

If it is I'll call my local dealer in Toronto.

Pierre

Hello Pierre,

Not really but with some diy it should fit, but not bolt on. the new 75-7 motor thro hole is different than the one with the agni 95R motor on the 2010 and 2011, so we must build a new motor bracket, but for the overal dimensions it should fit.

The motor and sevcon controller can work independently from the MBB, just a contactor, throttle and battery that's it, but the sevcon controller require to be pre-programmed for your needs.

Also, this motor is wound to take more voltage to build the hp ( double than the stock 14s 2011 battery)

The 2011 battery can take 400A and 500A burst ( i tested) but the sevcon size 6 controller might need a bit more ( 600-700A) to reach max power.

With the stock 2011 battery is would be impossible to get more hp from a new 75-5 or 75-7motor without raising the voltage.

The agni i still the best choice for that voltage. What you can do is tweak the MBB and reprogram higher max current and lower the fan temp treshold to about 40 celsius to have the motor better cooled. All you ned is a usb to TTL 3.3v converter and a bit of skill and that's it,

But as well it will void your warranty

Doc

Hello,
what kind of supreme cells is Zero using for the 2013 models? For me the EIG cells are the one of the best cells in size, capacity and weight.

Martin

grindz145 said:
I did get to try the XU, and it's way better than I figured a practical commuter would ever be. However, I found the brakes to be really spongy, not sure if this is representative of most of the bikes, but if I really had to pick out something that I would want to upgrade it would be the front brakes. Otherwise, I can easily imagine riding that thing for years and years of maintenance-free bliss. It's just a matter of saving up the pennies now, and I'm getting there!

Which model year XU did you try???

The new model 2013 XU have Nissan upgraded brakes. Was this "the ride" you tried???

Front brakes Nissin 2 piston hydraulic, 221x4.5 mm disc
Rear brakes Nissin 1 piston hydraulic, 221x4.5 mm disc

Thanks. :)

deVries said:
grindz145 said:
I did get to try the XU, and it's way better than I figured a practical commuter would ever be. However, I found the brakes to be really spongy, not sure if this is representative of most of the bikes, but if I really had to pick out something that I would want to upgrade it would be the front brakes. Otherwise, I can easily imagine riding that thing for years and years of maintenance-free bliss. It's just a matter of saving up the pennies now, and I'm getting there!

Which model year XU did you try???

The new model 2013 XU have Nissan upgraded brakes. Was this "the ride" you tried???

Front brakes Nissin 2 piston hydraulic, 221x4.5 mm disc
Rear brakes Nissin 1 piston hydraulic, 221x4.5 mm disc

Thanks. :)

Yup, that's the one. The brakes are from a good manufacturer, but for whatever reason, they just don't perform terribly well. Particularly the rear. The good news is that with regen enabled in ECO mode, you don't care, because the extra regen from the motor really makes up for the lack of brakes.

Also to put things in perspective, I am comparing it to sport-touring bikes with BRUTAL brakes. I'm sure if you compare it to like a ninja300 or something of equal weight, the disparity won't be as huge.

It's still a great great bike, I still wouldn't hesitate to own one. I'm just trying to be as honest and objective as possible.

This thing is just naughty, so cool.. http://www.wired.com/2014/06/lapd-zero-electric-motorcycles/

This is so Stealth. These guys have it right in design, just killing off all the off road bikes in EV. Its kinda funny listening to the hub motor guys. They just don't get a non suspended motor is going to take a beating, lacks anything to do with performance in off road.. The crystalyte hub motor sounds like my childs toy being held back, going up hill they have no power.. All these manufactures boasting about their speeds and such by over clocking wheel chair hubs is so funny.

They should put on a race for fastest wheel chair. LOL.

john in cr 's "wheelchair" goes over 100+mph..
zero fx does not..;)
and a zero engineer has said that hub motors can be the ultimate in ev performance & efficiency ..

bikerloosey said:
This thing is just naughty, so cool.. http://www.wired.com/2014/06/lapd-zero-electric-motorcycles/

This is so Stealth. These guys have it right in design, just killing off all the off road bikes in EV. Its kinda funny listening to the hub motor guys. They just don't get a non suspended motor is going to take a beating, lacks anything to do with performance in off road.. The crystalyte hub motor sounds like my childs toy being held back, going up hill they have no power.. All these manufactures boasting about their speeds and such by over clocking wheel chair hubs is so funny.

Wow.. I guess we can have a big air contest to show the hub off.. Zero VS Hub Motor. Seems like one bike will have a boat anchor to the frame the other will be free. The china hubs are cool for low cost, but seeing how terrible they hold up. I cant see after my research how they are even close to a yahtzee in the dirt. Seems a hub motors throws the whole bike off balance for the real stuff.

I hardly think a zero engineer after millions of dollars in development said that. What he probably said is " zero is on fire with awesome bikes."

efMX Trials Electric Freeride said:
zero fx does not..;)
and a zero engineer has said that hub motors can be the ultimate in ev performance & efficiency ..

bikerloosey said:

Anyone want to race? LOL.. This wheel chair hub motor is even being marketed by a bike company. Now that is comedy. Is that the new 100 MPH version? Hmm. I wonder how the joystick works?

http://fr.made-in-china.com/co_cnebikes/image_Power-Wheelchair-Hub-Motor-24V-180W-Electric-Wheelchair-Kit_eunseghgg_1.html

Anyway enough with that noise.

Check out this.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/motoringvideo/10937507/Super-stealth-electric-motorcycles-for-the-LAPD.html

The electric motorcycle manufactured by Zero Motorcycles is gaining popularity among law enforcement all over the world for being Stealth, including the Los Angeles Police Department.

These motorcycles can reach speeds of 95mph, have 68 lbs of torque, and costs pennies to fully recharge.

But perhaps the biggest draw for law enforcement? They are not segues.

"Direct drive hub is the optimization for EV drive efficiency..."
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=60864&start=50#p910778

[youtube]0avfYsLW28k[/youtube]

bikerloosey said:
Wow.. I guess we can have a big air contest to show the hub off.. Zero VS Hub Motor. Seems like one bike will have a boat anchor to the frame the other will be free. The china hubs are cool for low cost, but seeing how terrible they hold up. I cant see after my research how they are even close to a yahtzee in the dirt. Seems a hub motors throws the whole bike off balance for the real stuff.

I hardly think a zero engineer after millions of dollars in development said that. What he probably said is " zero is on fire with awesome bikes."

zero fx does not..;)

bikerloosey said:

Efficiency is not there, if function is not met. Hub motors have been around pushing things for many years. Does not mean they work well under all circumstances. One being adding 45 lbs or so un suspended weight to a rim for off road.

Hubmotor has the potential for highest efficiency due to wasting the least.

If you want to have a foot of active suspension travel that doesn't require exotic shock design, it may be best to pay the 1-2% efficiency hit of using a toothed carbon belt.

hub motors do not have to be cheap or heavy..
current hub motors use mass in part for thermal management..
add an active cooling circuit and the motor can be shed of excess weight..
this is not the end of ev motor design..
evolution of design and competition will yield the best designs

bikerloosey said:
Efficiency is not there, if function is not met. Hub motors have been around pushing things for many years. Does not mean they work well under all circumstances. One being adding 45 lbs or so un suspended weight to a rim for off road.

I appreciate the banter back and forth.

Hubs have been around for along time actually. http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2014/02/12/ferdinand-porsche-joseph-ledwinka-and-the-invention-of-the-electric-hub-motor/

However, I do not see them making what we call the Dirt off road markets top ten. The loss of power by 1% might give you the efficiency gain you so state when using even motors. However when you look at where bikes have been over 30 years and the performance that is required. Its almost a joke to see trials riders with hubs or any off road players, so not purpose built.

The companies to pay attention to are emotion, zero, ktm, bmw, audi. They are where the innovation is coming from, the real players with good designs. All others are simply china sourcing bike players who make nothing but a frame to fit the hub. The rest is made elsewhere...

How many hub manufactures make a bike frame? That would be where innovation starts...

hub motors do not have to be cheap or heavy..
current hub motors use mass in part for thermal management..
add an active cooling circuit and the motor can be shed of excess weight..
this is not the end of ev motor design..
evolution of design and competition will yield the best designs

bikerloosey said:

Look at this video of the freestyle rider busting the rim with a hub. Those hubs do not handle the pain well, this was one jump. Video was from Stealth Bikes endless pages :oops:

Attachments

• Jack Field Backflip.jpg
    Jack Field Backflip.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 5,377
I'll be honest, I'm completely over unsprung mass. I'm totally OK with the 2% belt loss to keep the motor sprung and happy. I'm too mean to my bikes otherwise...

Back