My rig for going surfing on my eBike

eSurfer

100 W
Here's my eBike rig for getting to my favorite surf spots (it's also my ride to work on weekdays). The bike is just a beach cruiser that has a Golden Motor/Magic Pie 1000W hub conversion kit and 48V 20AH battery. Does about 30MPH and will go 45 or 50 miles on a charge, if you go 20 or below. (towing my board cuts that range considerably)

Here in Newport Beach, traffic and parking is a nightmare and this rig has saved me so much frustration. I just zip right up to one of my favorite surf spots, passing all the cars competing for a parking space, detach my board, lock it up and paddle out. I have to admit that I feel a little smug about it, looking at all the other poor saps pulling out their hair and breathing fumes trying to find a parking spot. Bwaa haaa haaa! :)
eBike and SUP.JPG

Very cool! I have a somewhat similar setup for packing the snowboard and gear with my Travoy trailer. My setup is cooler actually, by about 50 or 60 degrees ha ha. Not much fear of overheating the BBSO2 anyway.

craneplaneguy said:
Very cool! I have a somewhat similar setup for packing the snowboard and gear with my Travoy trailer. My setup is cooler actually, by about 50 or 60 degrees ha ha. Not much fear of overheating the BBSO2 anyway.

LOL, we both ride on water...your water is just much cooler, and a little harder, than my water!

Lovely surf trailer! I sometimes think one reason boards kept getting shorter was so you could ride a bike with one under your arm.

Neat! I am planning on doing something similar with kayaks to go fishing in some back country lakes that are normally inaccessible.

I like it a lot but I wonder if you are at risk of theft with your very cool bike left alone.

ebent said:
I like it a lot but I wonder if you are at risk of theft with your very cool bike left alone.
I worry about that too, especially at the beach I go to. I got a Kryptonite bike lock which I think is really difficult to break or cut. I lock bike frame, motor wheel, battery rack and surfboard wheels to something really secure with that K lock. What looks like a trailer is really just the device below that I constructed from a kayak wheel set, so it can be locked with the bike. Yet I still worry about my bike, but it's as secure as I can make it...unless you know of a better lock? Or, another idea? I'm open.

Attachments

• SUP Wheels.JPG
    SUP Wheels.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 1,239
Long ago in a land far away [Europe] i use to trailer my 2 windsurf boards 2 sails boom ect ect.. you dont want to know how much that weighed, on a pedal bike .. and my knees still remind me :) .
an ebike would have been a dream! come true.. have you seen the bolt on side racks used commonly.

Attachments

• bike-surfboard-rack-button.jpg
    bike-surfboard-rack-button.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 1,180
Emoto said:
Long ago in a land far away [Europe] i use to trailer my 2 windsurf boards 2 sails boom ect ect.. you dont want to know how much that weighed, on a pedal bike .. and my knees still remind me :) .
an ebike would have been a dream! come true.. have you seen the bolt on side racks used commonly.

Yes, I have some of those racks and they work well. Kind of get in your way, but carry a medium or small surfboard really well. Not so good for the big boards I ride nowadays.

Back