My solution to Li-po Fires

oatnet said:
kfong said:
My conversion van has taken all of my time.

Electric conversion, or camper van?

-JD

Hey JD, wish it could be. Unfortunately it's just not practical to do. I'm converting a promaster cargo van into a full RV. This will allow me to travel with my toys (kiteboard, windsurfer, ebike, ect) and vacation. The only thing electrically cool is I'm pushing 500w of solar and going all electric for the appliances. Just came back from Fort Desoto near Tampa with it. Fridge was fired up for the trip and has been on 24/7. Battery is the 24v tesla pack 220ahr I picked up from one on the members here. Haven't drained the battery enough to test the low voltage cutoff of the outback system. Doing everthing myself, so there is still a lot more cabinetry work to do.

Sounds like fun! Are you posting the build anywhere?

-JD

Carbon fibre conducts electricity. That is why you don't go rowing in a thunderstorm! It will create a huge arc. I would have done the same with biaxial glass which melts but doesn't burn and does not conduct electricity. Epoxy on the whole is pretty neutral once cured and not as inflammable as polyester resin. When you are mixing epoxy it can create so much heat that it self ignites but it doesn't project flames it glows incandescent and other material around bursts into flame, it makes a lot of smoke on its own.

These remarks are from several years of experience with ply/epoxy boat building and rowing CF skiffs.

My lipoly box will be made of ply with M1 fire resistant paint inside, vented to release pressure build up and the lack of oxygen inside will diminish flames. Plywood also absorbs vibrations.

oatnet said:
Sounds like fun! Are you posting the build anywhere?

-JD

Not posted unfortunately, haven't spent much time on the web unless it's for work. Too many projects to get done.

Back