Rhino Truck Liner - Li-Ion Fire Liner??? (Update: No)

Neiler106

100 W
So I've been reading about how to create battery packs and all the sort but I think my healthy fear of fire and current lack of knowledge is what's stopping me. I saw a few threads about Fire Pouches which seem to be at a premium.

Premium Fire Containment Bag $1000 http://www.allhandsfire.com/Fire-Containment-Bag

I also saw a carbon fiber mold around a series of hobby king packs, turns out this does nothing to protect against plasma fires created by li-ion.

But then I remembered that I saw a video about using Rhino Truck Bed Liner to stop explosions. I did some further research, its a class 1 fire retardant. It also has waterproofing properties and can used to reinforce rigid structures, much like our beloved shrink wrap.

See video below where they use Rhino Liner on a concrete wall vs an explosion. Hint, the wall survives, its some tough stuff.

[youtube]VSvVy6oiMZI[/youtube]

If it is applicable, I'd say it would be very useful for some riders and certain ebike applications. Anyone willing to take a hobbyking pack on its last legs, grab a spray can of rhino liner at the hardware store, and sneak into your neighbors backyard for a science experiment?

Unless there's something I'm overlooking, this is a staggeringly clever idea. And yes, I saw the Mythbusters where they showed that this stuff is basically bomb-proof.

My concern would be that it's normally sprayed onto steel, in a pickup bed. The Mythbusters sprayed it onto cinderblock. How heavy is it, and how much does it rely on its host material to maintain its structural integrity? How much does that affect its fire and blast retardant properties?

spisska said:
Unless there's something I'm overlooking, this is a staggeringly clever idea. And yes, I saw the Mythbusters where they showed that this stuff is basically bomb-proof.

My concern would be that it's normally sprayed onto steel, in a pickup bed. The Mythbusters sprayed it onto cinderblock. How heavy is it, and how much does it rely on its host material to maintain its structural integrity? How much does that affect its fire and blast retardant properties?

I'd imagine an 1/8 inch or 1/4 inch coat would add some weight but I'd rather have a triangle pack covered in this stuff than shrink wrap.

Regarding the structural integrity of the liner itself, this video: Sumo wrestler stands on SOLO cup, then on SOLO cup sprayed with Rhino Liner. Hint, SOLO cup sprayed with Rhino Liner wins vs Sumo wrestler.

[youtube]WzExU7UmFeM[/youtube]

That's just plastic, somewhere there is a video of a guy dropping fruit, and even an egg off a building, smashing to pieces. Then he sprays the same stuff and drops it, nothing happens.

Someone needs to grab a spray can of Rhino Liner and a puffy Li-Ion cell and a fire extinguisher... for science!

According to the manufacturer, Rhino Liner will "withstand temperatures up to 240 degrees down to 50 degrees"

Damn you science. Still I'm spraying my frame pack housing with it. Would look sick with a rhino liner frame housing on a fat bike. Just screams monster truck/monster bike.

I have a truck bed lined with the stuff and its pretty abrasive. I would be reluctant to use it on a triangle pack if there is any chance skin will rub on it while riding. I get hurt quite often moving stuff around in the truck. Not bad but its pretty annoying.

I you are that worried about fire maybe you should consider lining your pack enclosure with a layer of welding blanket. Its about $20-30 for a few square meters.

Unfortunately there are not many light materials that can withstand a full on lipo fire. Anything that can deflect the flames away from you long enough to ditch the pack off the bike is probably as good as it gets.

I have not experienced a lipo fire myself. Its just what I gather from reading forum posts.

there is no need to worry about all this stuff. you don't use them for the lipo in your cell phone do you?

just avoid overcharging and hope that the sense wires to the balancing charger don't overheat and short out to each other while it is charging in the balancing charger.

Back