Current Regs on Shipping Li Ion Batteries

bigmoose

1 MW
I have started to research shipping regulations for large Li batteries, since I had a good idea and a potential launch customer for a 36 V (nominal) 12 AHr LiFePO4 derivative battery. Here is the just "peachy" news so far:

• Primary batteries are defined as Li Metal so those regs don't apply.
  • Secondary batteries (rechargeable) are Li Ion irregardless of type, so these are our regs.
  • Lithium-ion & Polymer Cell / Battery Max. Lithium Content >5.0 grams / >25 grams We convert at 0.3 gm per cell AHr = 0.3 * 12 AHr * 12 cells = 43.2 gm Li equivalent so we are greater than 25 grams and classified as "Large" As such the following Apply:
  • Requires Class 9 markings, label, specification packaging, and shipping papers
  • Here is the KILLER: The battery must PASS ALL UN Tests Class 9 / T1-T8 This will destroy 24 batteries in testing! As I read the regs the battery must pass the following tests even if shipped by truck or rail
  • Test T.1: Altitude simulation stored at a pressure of 11.6 kPa or less for at least six hours at ambient temperature (20 ± 5 °C) with no mass loss, no leakage, no venting, no disassembly, no rupture and no fire and if the open circuit voltage of each test cell or battery after testing is not less than 90% of its voltage immediately prior to this procedure
  • Test T.2: Thermal test stored for at least six hours at a test temperature equal to 75 ± 2 °C, followed by storage for at least six hours at a test temperature equal to –40 ± 2 °C. The maximum time interval between test temperature extremes is 30 minutes. This procedure is to be repeated 10 times with no mass loss, no leakage, no venting, no disassembly, no rupture and no fire and if the open circuit voltage of each test cell or battery after testing is not less than 90% of its voltage immediately prior to this procedure
  • Test T.3: Vibration The vibration shall be a sinusoidal waveform with a logarithmic sweep between 7 Hz and 200 Hz and back to 7 Hz traversed in 15 minutes. This cycle shall be repeated 12 times for a total of 3 hours for each of three mutually perpendicular mounting positions of the cell (Thats 9 Freaking hours on the shaker!) The logarithmic frequency sweep is as follows: from 7 Hz a peak acceleration of 1 gn is maintained until 18 Hz is reached. The amplitude is then maintained at 0.8 mm (1.6 mm total excursion) and the frequency increased until a peak acceleration of 8 gn occurs (approximately 50 Hz). A peak acceleration of 8 gn is then maintained until the frequency is increased to 200 Hz. With no mass loss, no leakage, no venting, no disassembly, no rupture and no fire and if the open circuit voltage of each test cell or battery after testing is not less than 90% of its voltage immediately prior to this procedure
  • Test T.4: Shock large cells and large batteries shall be subjected to a half-sine shock of peak acceleration of 50 gn and pulse duration of 11 milliseconds. Each cell or battery is subjected to three shocks in the positive direction followed by three shocks in the negative direction of each of three mutually perpendicular mounting positions of the cell for a total of 18 shocks. With no mass loss, no leakage, no venting, no disassembly, no rupture and no fire and if the open circuit voltage of each test cell or battery after testing is not less than 90% of its voltage immediately prior to this procedure
  • Test T.5: External short circuit The cell or battery to be tested shall be temperature stabilized so that its external case temperature reaches 55 ± 2°C and then the cell or battery shall be subjected to a short circuit condition with a total external resistance of less than 0.1 ohm at 55 ± 2 °C. This short circuit condition is continued for at least one hour after the cell or battery external case temperature has returned to 55 ± 2°C. Cells and batteries meet this requirement if their external temperature does not exceed 170 °C and there is no disassembly, no rupture and no fire within six hours of this test. Right- Dead short to exhaustion and only 170 deg C!
  • Test T.6: Impact component cell is to be placed on a flat surface. A 15.8 mm diameter bar is to be placed across the centre of the sample. A 9.1 kg mass is to be dropped from a height of 61 ± 2.5 cm onto the sample. Cells and component cells meet this requirement if their external temperature does not exceed 170 °C and there is no disassembly and no fire within six hours of this test.
  • Test T.7: Overcharge The charge current shall be twice the manufacturer's recommended maximum continuous charge current. when the manufacturer's recommended charge voltage is more than 18V, the minimum voltage of the test shall be 1.2 times the maximum charge voltage for 24 hours. Rechargeable batteries meet this requirement if there is no disassembly and no fire within seven days of the test.
  • Test T.8: Forced discharge Each cell shall be forced discharged at ambient temperature by connecting it in series with a 12V D.C. power supply at an initial current equal to the maximum discharge current specified by the manufacturer. Primary or rechargeable cells meet this requirement if there is no disassembly and no fire within seven days of the test.
We are doomed! There is no way to economically meet these requirements. The destroyed batteries alone are about $15,000; the time on a calibrated shaker is around $1,000/hr minimum... If I am misinterperting these regs for simple UPS/FedX ground shipping, please someone let me know. The other regs of certification of hazardous material shipping, packaging and labeling are a snap. But having to meet all 8 of these requirements for ground shipping a battery typical of the size used in our eBikes is ridiculous, at least IMHO!

... I have to be missing something! How in the world can you take the battery in the Chevrolet Volt Directly short it and not have a plasma ball?

The only way I can see you meeting these specs is if you aren't shipping raw cells, but a pack with a hardcase for T.6, and an internal fuse for T.5. T.7 might be okay for LiFePo4, but you would want some extra internal smarts to avoid over charge for an equivalent LiPo pack.

I was just reading the link on UPS.com that appeared on the tracking page. http://www.ups.com/media/en/shipping_batteries.pdf

If the "batteries" of 100 watt-hours or less are in separate packages, each with their own label and tracking #, does that get us a "free pass"? Assembling a final configuration would be easier than complying with the regs bigmoose cited.

Big oil hast won yet!!! (crosses fingers that ebikes wont be banned)

They havent counted on . Lipo santa is coming to town! I will ride my bike across from hobbyking . I will carry so much lipo I will actually fly across the ocean with it! Then I will ride my bike across the US and Canada, selling lipo to all of you kids (the good ones) . I will carry lipo in my bicycle trailer with a couble big old hub motos. dual 5406 20' wheel with 100v. Two 36fet controllers and a pallet or two of lipo for all!!!!!

I swear I will do it if I have to.

On another note I have a connection in china, he knows the major (edit: mayor) of bejing and has many connections to get me a container of goods. anybody need anything?

Sorry to hear Bigmoose. Fight the man. Stand up to those basdards.

mike

option to ship as a prototype perhaps?

Code:
Shipping Prototypes
A lithium battery pack is considered a prototype until it passes section 38.3 of the UN Manual of Tests and Criteria (UN Transportation Testing). All prototypes should be shipped via ground transportation and must be shipped in Class 9 packaging surrounded by non-combustible, non-conductive cushioning material. A Class 9 shipment requires the shipper is HAZ MAT trained. A prototype can only go via air if the shipper has approval from the proper governing agencies (US DOT). Nexergy has this approval. The prototype pack must successfully pass a short circuit test and be packaged in a steel drum prior to shipping via air.

Pardon my language, but....

frocking America. God damn it.

This regulations are for aircraft only. They use the label 'Dangerous Goods' (DG)
For trucking they use the label "Haz-Mat"

LiPo batteries are class 9 for trucking which meas "miscellaneous"
You can have the entire trailer full and you still don't need to placard it. The class 9 just gives you a heads up if there is an accident.

The whole thing about aircraft is safety since they've had a couple of fires that might have been from batteries. The other concern is how flammable Lipo is if it gets added to in a fire.

Fire on a truck and you just run away. no fatalities probably. Aircraft you lose 400 people.

The regs aren't just for the USA, it is an international reg.

Each airline can add more regulations if they want. British Air had a garlic leak half way over the Atlantic. Now you have to put stuff like that in double lined drums.
Korean Air makes you add banding to crates that can hold a person. Can't let the terrorists out.

All I ever order air shipped from china is "toys". Says so right on every invoice.

dogman said:
All I ever order air shipped from china is "toys". Says so right on every invoice.

Hahaha yep.. and mobility aids.. both worth about $25 per package :p

hydro-one said:
...Sorry to hear Bigmoose. Fight the man. Stand up to those basdards.
mike

Thanks! We are trying... I have the wifey working full time on interpretation, and what it will take to meet the standards. She met with a regional enterprise support group last week, and they offered a bit of help/insight.

As of right now there appears to be only two breaks if you are in the "large" class. The first 100 units shipped may be "prototypes for testing" and therefore would not have full compliance. We have to track down if this just applies to the EU or also USA. The second is that there is a revision in work for "Large" LiIon batteries that would not require the consumption of 16 batteries in testing; but perhaps 1 or 2. That revision is not out yet, and is just "rumor."

The vib test is still the one test that can't be "improvised." I started to look at used magnetodynamic shakers... but don't know the size that would be needed. If its 440V 3 phase, then that is another problem. Now you need a trailer mounted diesel generator plus the shaker.

Back