My stoplight sleeper Supercycle

electr0n

1 kW
I recently moved to all 20 inch wheels with my HS3540 and I'm having fun. I've been racing with a guy at work on his Kawasaki Ninja for kicks and I can actually out accelerate him for about 50 to 100 meters before he takes off. I think I'm at the absolute limits of this motor and am probably going to make a significant upgrade for next season. I'm pumping 110 amps @ 100 volts with 220 phase amps with stock everything, no vent holes, no upgraded phase wires. So far it's been handling my short bursts of full throttle without melting down. 20 inch wheels with a hub motor are awesome. It's so much quicker than 26".

How much more power could I run upgrading to a Crystalyte 54x, Cromotor or Johns Hubmonster? Are there any hub motors out there that could even come close to Lukes deathbike or recumpence's twin motor builds?

smallwheels1.jpg

I seem to remember that Lukes Deathbike was geared for 100-MPH? (not that he ever went that fast, he usually ran out of street pretty quick). I believe he used the Golden Motor 10kW unit. Just off the top of my head...I suspect if you used their similar 5kW motor, and only geared it for 40-MPH top speed...would it have close to the same acceleration? Luke said the 10kW wasn't getting overheated, even geared that high. http://www.goldenmotor.com/

10kW (HPM-10KW):
206mm
170mm width
17kg weight

5kW (HPM-5000B):
206mm diameter
126mm width (145mm with water-cooling)
11kg weight

So...they are both the same diameter (same laminations?). The narrower motor would not have as much copper mass, but both list their burst capacity to be double watts for 30-seconds. Lukes bike was so light, and accelerated so rapidly, that I suspect the amp-draw was dropping off pretty quickly after the launch. I believe the motor should get warm, but not hot.

Back